Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

Shearer is a better striker, Rooney is an all-round attacker.  I would rate them to be the same "level".

Pretty much this.

It's an interesting debate, but overall it's apples and oranges.

Rooney has much more to his overall game but Shearer was a better center forward.

Rooney has much more to his overall game but Shearer was a better center forward.

That's true enough. However, that does mean that whereas Rooney can adapt to the needs of his team and the demands of a situation, Shearer basically performed one role and the attack needed to be built around it. I'd also say that Shearer, great player though he was, unlike Rooney never had much pace.

But ultimately, Rooney is one of only two England players in my lifetime (Gazza being the other) who could transform a team's performance single handed. On form, he has energy, imagination, determination, skill, power - the lot - and keeps popping up all over the pitch setting problems for the opposition.

That's true enough. However, that does mean that whereas Rooney can adapt to the needs of his team and the demands of a situation, Shearer basically performed one role and the attack needed to be built around it. I'd also say that Shearer, great player though he was, unlike Rooney never had much pace.

But ultimately, Rooney is one of only two England players in my lifetime (Gazza being the other) who could transform a team's performance single handed. On form, he has energy, imagination, determination, skill, power - the lot - and keeps popping up all over the pitch setting problems for the opposition.

I disagree on the pace element, Shearer was quite quick in his younger days.

not as quick as Rooney tbh

Did I ever say he was?

Did I ever say he was?

so why you disagree? we are comparing the two now isnt it?

Did I ever say he was?

You're putting words in my mouth. I never once said Shearer was as quick as Rooney, I disputed Cronky's original statement referring to the fact Shearer never had much pace.

Did I ever say he was?

You're putting words in my mouth. I never once said Shearer was as quick as Rooney, I disputed Cronky's original statement referring to the fact Shearer never had much pace.

alright then  O0 but i tend to agree with him , depend how you read his statement , he didn't said Shearer was slow, just that never had much pace as if faster than his opponents.  :aww:

Heh, I get Shearer having only scored 101 EPL goals by age 25. 

:lol: Tell me you're not being serious?

Assuming Shearer was 25 in 94-95 (I haven't been entirely thorough here) then he will have got to 101 EPL goals by the end of that season.  Scores 31 the next season and 25 the season after.  Was in the middle of his golden 4 years.

Shearer without a doubt. If Rooney get over 260 Premier League goals, then we can start measuring them together.

122 at 25.  He'll be close.

As far as just comparing goal records it helps if you've played for Manchester United for most of your career... Although he became a more limited player post 97 after each major injury his chance conversion rate in some woefull NUFC teams was still the best I've seen in the PL...

Rooney's looking sexual atm, but if you'd asked this 9 months ago when he barely looked like a league 1 player...

99/9% wasn't you but who was that knacker on here who said he didn't want to Rooney in and England XI?

Rupert.

Admitted, he's playing well ATM, and I'd put him in the England team, but at the time he was diabolical and should have been dropped by club and Country till he sorted himself out.

Also, he's a complete form player. In a few games, he'll have a stinker and then go missing for 18 months. Guaranteed. And when it happens, I'll be sure to quote this so you can drink some piss.

Personally I don't think players from different era's can be compared, at least until both have finished playing. Although Rooney imo is up there with the very best in the world, I won't judge him until he's hung his boots up.

Additionally, I think Shearer's all-round play is extremely under-rated on here! Some of you make it sound like he was only useful at putting the ball in the back of the net! Shearer was involved in the buildup as much as Rooney is, and played the channels as well as anyone I've ever seen (apart from his last couple of years).

Tough call tbh as Rooney still has the best years of his career to come so Rooney could possibly get even better.

I would go Rooney on his all round play but Shearer for his out and out goal scoring.

It's also a shame Shearer never got on the end of some of his own crosses into the box as he would have scored a crap load more goals if he had.