Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

I'd also say that Shearer, great player though he was, unlike Rooney never had much pace.

That he never had pace is something of an annoying myth. Along the same lines as "Shola always gives his all".

Back in the day, didn't Shearer used to play similar to Rooney? In terms of coming deep to get the ball and attacking players with it? I think injuries ultimately decided the way that Shearer played towards the end of his career, which he was still amazing at. I'd say Shearer, and that's without bias. In today's market, I reckon Shearer would easily be worth £50 million, easy.

Back in the day, didn't Shearer used to play similar to Rooney? In terms of coming deep to get the ball and attacking players with it? I think injuries ultimately decided the way that Shearer played towards the end of his career, which he was still amazing at. I'd say Shearer, and that's without bias. In today's market, I reckon Shearer would easily be worth £50 million, easy.

Not really, no.

Not really, no.

I'm only 22, so didn't see much of the early Shearer. Just on Premiership years, and in the 5-0 against Man United, he looked like he was getting the ball deep and running at players, which he obviously rarely done in the latter years.

Shearer was probably at his worst for us when he returned from that ankle injury in the 97/98 season. Apart from the cup games, he was dreadful for us in the league. He scored something like twice in 18 games.

@Big Geordie

I'd say Shearer did have moments of off form which have been forgotten.

His record for us suggests otherwise, apart from when returning from a bad injury or towards the latter end of his career.

There was a period where Kluivert and Bellamy were clearly the best strikeforce we had. Then despite them being a revelation up front together, sentimentally prevailed and Kluivert was dumped for Shearer. From that moment on, Kluivert didn't give a f*ck cause he knew if Shearer was fit he'd never play.

@Big Geordie

His record for us suggests otherwise, apart from when returning from a bad injury or towards the latter end of his career.

There was a period where Kluivert and Bellamy were clearly the best strikeforce we had. Then despite them being a revelation up front together, sentimentally prevailed and Kluivert was dumped for Shearer. From that moment on, Kluivert didn't give a f*ck cause he knew if Shearer was fit he'd never play.

I remember Everton at Home and Palace away when Kluivert and Bellamy were absolutely amazing. Should have been given a longer run together, was clear Shearer had power in terms of team selecton, especially with Shepherd imo.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Back to back hat tricks

[✓] Rooney

[  ] Shearer

125 Prem goals now for Wayne.

He won't reach shearers total

Shearer had 2 seasons off with injury as well.

Back to back hat tricks

[✓] Rooney

[  ] Shearer

125 Prem goals now for Wayne.

He won't reach shearers total

And another 23 league goals scribbled off for being pre-Prem.

doesn't matter , Rooney can't hit Shearer totals goals , his scoring ability will drop dramatically when he's near 30 and lost his pace , not to mention he'll probably joined Real Madrid after another 2-3 years 

Really don't see how Rooney matching Shearer's goal tally looks unlikely.

He's notched up more at this point in his career than Shearer had managed.  He's playing in a far superior side and looks set to have a 30+ season ahead of himself. 

There's a risk or injuries ofc, but aside there's little else to get in his way.

Guest Randy Savage

@Big Geordie

Gullit was right.