Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

Rather than comparing them, I would say they are the ideal striking partnership every team in the world would like to have. Shearer as the main striker and Rooney playing behind him as a supporting cast. That is World-Cup winning quality.

Sadly, the last partner Shearer had was Owen, and it's a very bad mix.

Heh, I get Shearer having only scored 101 EPL goals by age 25. 

:lol: Tell me you're not being serious?

Assuming Shearer was 25 in 94-95 (I haven't been entirely thorough here) then he will have got to 101 EPL goals by the end of that season.  Scores 31 the next season and 25 the season after.  Was in the middle of his golden 4 years.

Shearer didn't realy burst onto the scene til his 20s though so it's irrelivant, Rooney developed at a far younger age (and may burn out far sooner).

A better way of looking at things is (amongst his injuries and poor, by his standard, final couple of years) Shearer finished his 14 years in the premiership with an average of 18-19 goals a season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Rooney has justified his massive transfer fee.

Shearer never did.

Piss take?

Depends on how he's judging it. In terms of pure success - sure, I could go with Rooney for that, but in terms of general success, its silly.

Newcastle had a top striker for 10 years for £15m. That's Mike Ashley levels of value for money!

Rooney and Shearer are great in that they can/could score from any angle.

Look at goals by most strikers, even higher level players in the Premier League like van Nistelrooy, Henry, Zola, Bergkamp, Owen and they had a much more limited repertoire of goals they could score.

Rooney has justified his massive transfer fee.

Shearer never did.

Piss take?

Depends on how he's judging it. In terms of pure success - sure, I could go with Rooney for that, but in terms of general success, its silly.

Newcastle had a top striker for 10 years for £15m. That's Mike Ashley levels of value for money!

Yeah, if you go by the former's rule then 99% of transfers outside of the top 4-5 don't have a hope of justifying there fee!

We couldn't have gotten a better player for value than we did with Shearer tbh, and we could have sold him for a hell of a lot more during his time here.

I would say Shearer over Rooney because Shearer at one time was unplayable for an extended period. As was Henry and Christiano Ronaldo, if you're talking Premiership era forwards. Rooney has never quite hit that level, though he's been close in a couple of spells. Shearer also scored against absolutely everyone. Among present strikers, the most notable for doing so is Darren Bent. Rooney's record against Chelsea, Liverpool, and normal Arsenal (not that shambles last week) isn't all that good.

Shearer was one of the greatest crossers of the ball to play for modern-era NUFC. Pure goalscorer-type comments do him an injustice. He also scored dozens and dozens from outside the box, something pure goalscorers like Lineker and van Nistelrooy never managed. He's absolutely shocking as a pundit though, it has to be said.

One big thing Rooney has that Shearer didn't is that he allows the team to defend from the front, virtually a tactical necessity at the highest level now. Teams press much more now than they did ten-fifteen years ago, and Rooney's workrate is just the job for that. Before anyone jumps in, he also has incredible touch, vision, power, and a fantastic football brain. I really wish he would go and play in La Liga or even Serie A as a true role model for future England players. I think he would progress further there than in the Premiership.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I would say Shearer over Rooney because Shearer at one time was unplayable for an extended period. As was Henry and Christiano Ronaldo, if you're talking Premiership era forwards. Rooney has never quite hit that level, though he's been close in a couple of spells. Shearer also scored against absolutely everyone. Among present strikers, the most notable for doing so is Darren Bent. Rooney's record against Chelsea, Liverpool, and normal Arsenal (not that shambles last week) isn't all that good.

I mean, I'm not a huge Rooney fan and feel he's somewhat over hyped at times, but that season when he played up front after Ronaldo left, he was untouchable. If he can ever find top end form, with a season to season consistency he'll be a beast. Seems happy enough to play the deep striker role now though.

One big thing Rooney has that Shearer didn't is that he allows the team to defend from the front, virtually a tactical necessity at the highest level now. Teams press much more now than they did ten-fifteen years ago, and Rooney's workrate is just the job for that.

Really good point :thup:

I think it's important to contextualise that Rooney does that for Man Utd though where they can afford to have him missing from the final third of the pitch when he tracks back/pressures lost causes. Not to detract from what an effective and good quality that it is, but don't think Shearer could afford to chase down/track back quite as much/as far as Rooney did - as then his sides wouldn't have had as potent attacking options left-up front. Don't think Shearer would have been as good at it anyway, mind you. Just saying.

Rooney stepped up brilliantly when Cronaldo left and to his massive credit started heading them in left, right and center, a skill he must have worked on and nobody thought he possessed. He followed it with a half season dip though, with a timely spit of the dummy for more cash. Shearer meanwhile scored thirty a season for three seasons. That's what I call doing it for an extended period.

Again to Rooney's credit he's started doing it in the big games, like the Citeh overhead kick and the CL final after being abject in the other Barca one and twice at the World Cup. I think he's still got something to prove though to be a real great.

Wow it doesn't take much to get the Shearer worshippers riled.

Can I just point out that Shearer joined us after a WORLD RECORD TRANSFER FEE.

Can anyone show how he justified this?

Feel free to compare him to other players who have broken the record and what the purchasing clubs went on to win.

Presumably on the basis that 2sheds is a know-nothing WUM.
You can go first Beren  :coolsmiley:

Feel free to compare him to other players who have broken the record and what the purchasing clubs went on to win.

What has justifying a transfer fee got to do with how good you are as a player though?  That's what the thread is about.  That argument is irrelevant. 

Is Rooney better than Cristiano Ronaldo because he's won more trophies than Ronaldo in the last two years?  He's justified his price tag more surely if you're basing it just on trophy wins, hasn't he?

Why are you talking about Cristiano Ronaldo, that's even more irrelevant.

And Rooney has justified his fee as the most expensive teenager in the UK, no doubt.

I'm using him as an example to illustrate a point, which is relevant, at least in showing that your argument was fairly irrelevant.  The point you were initially making was in relation to nothing, not the purpose of the thread nor the recent arguments within it.

You didn't even answer my point either.

You can go first Beren  :coolsmiley:

so if Shearer chosen Man United instead of us, he would justified his transfer fees in your case  :facepalm:

Edit : or West Brown is a better defender than Coloccini because he won more trophy

Your suggested litmus test (bolded) is bollocks, and you know it. No offence, but your WUMmery needs to have a semblance of plausibility if you want to get a decent paroxysm/bite from your mark.

Read more: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=newcastle-united-board-answer-your-questions%26method=full%26objectid=29396067%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Shit wind-up or shit opinion? I'm not sure.

Idiotic post either way.