Is it time for Wenger to go?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He'll turn it round IMO and I genuinely hope he does.

Yep. Seems like one of the few manager who could build a truly world-class team without plunging a club miles into debt.

Needs to regain some of his earlier pragmatism, though.

He dosent need to plunge the club into massive debt to get them heading in the right direction again. He needed centre-backs who had played in England and knew the league - like Samba & Dann, both would have added steel and know-how. But his stubborness won out, well done Arsene.

Considering money put into team they've been massively overachieving for years, they should have sold fabergas and nasri start of window though and bought from there (thank god though, could have got Cabaye lol)

When he joined the league he made everyone look stupid with making a fitter faster team than everyone else, now everyone else has caught up in terms of fitness he no longer has that advantage, and as wages have gone up elsewhere he can no longer attract world class players like he used to or keep them. No new manager is going to be able to do this.

Nor do I think Arsenal should be asking for a billionaire to come in and spend loads on them, this is bad for football in the long term, and I think Wenger was predicting the bubble would burst on the Man Cities of the world sometime and all the wage costs will cause an implosion. I just think that finally their inability to pay for as good players for where they expect to be in the league has caught up. They'll retreat to mid table probably. If Wenger stays and the money dries up for the big clubs I could see Wenger winning a league again, (still probably need to sort out defensive coaching), but I suspect he'll have retired form age by then anyway.

Would I like to see him sacked? For all his ridiculousness, all his tantrums, he has brought attacking entertaining football that was mocked for being european, fancy etc etc, and yet now think that argument is won. I'd still rather see arsenal play than stoke. It's sad to see it reduced to this pathetic version of himself. I'd like to see him step down on a better note. Those two goals vs Blackburn were proper well worked goals, pity about the backline.

Yep. Seems like one of the few manager who could build a truly world-class team without plunging a club miles into debt.

He dosent need to plunge the club into massive debt to get them heading in the right direction again. He needed centre-backs who had played in England and knew the league - like Samba & Dann, both would have added steel and know-how. But his stubborness won out, well done Arsene.

Spot on. He needed PL ready centre backs. After losing 2 first team, keep the ball midfielders and not replacing them they were always going to have to withstand more attacks this season, they were already struggling to defend anyway. Buying yet more new foreign CB when he could have splashed out on Samba or maybe even Bassong on the cheap would have been much better business than Mertesacker

Nasri said something along sorts that he's far too kind to new young players and willing to give them too many chances, which I think is maybe why he got through so many gems back in the day but maybe speaks for why he's failed at defence, he's been too accomodating and waiting to gel of players who aren't good enough and need to be moved on.

Nasri said something along sorts that he's far too kind to new young players and willing to give them too many chances, which I think is maybe why he got through so many gems back in the day but maybe speaks for why he's failed at defence, he's been too accomodating and waiting to gel of players who aren't good enough and need to be moved on.

The same willingness and chances he gave to Nasri, the greedy little shit.

Still think it'll go right for Arsenal at some point, even if they fail to win another trophy this season. If they finish outside the top 6, i think he'll go, but they'll probably nick fourth come May.

I can also see this happening. A matter of time before Arsenal get up and running.

Still think it'll go right for Arsenal at some point, even if they fail to win another trophy this season. If they finish outside the top 6, i think he'll go, but they'll probably nick fourth come May.

I can also see this happening. A matter of time before Arsenal get up and running.

I really dont think theyll do it. I think they'll be in there at points through-out the season but will ultimately fall short at 5th, with Spurs or Liverpool getting it. A lot like Liverpool when they dropped out the top 4 a few seasons ago.

The same willingness and chances he gave to Nasri, the greedy little shit.

Nasri was already world class. tbf

Considering money put into team they've been massively overachieving for years, they should have sold fabergas and nasri start of window though and bought from there (thank god though, could have got Cabaye lol)

When he joined the league he made everyone look stupid with making a fitter faster team than everyone else, now everyone else has caught up in terms of fitness he no longer has that advantage, and as wages have gone up elsewhere he can no longer attract world class players like he used to or keep them. No new manager is going to be able to do this.

Nor do I think Arsenal should be asking for a billionaire to come in and spend loads on them, this is bad for football in the long term, and I think Wenger was predicting the bubble would burst on the Man Cities of the world sometime and all the wage costs will cause an implosion. I just think that finally their inability to pay for as good players for where they expect to be in the league has caught up. They'll retreat to mid table probably. If Wenger stays and the money dries up for the big clubs I could see Wenger winning a league again, (still probably need to sort out defensive coaching), but I suspect he'll have retired form age by then anyway.

Would I like to see him sacked? For all his ridiculousness, all his tantrums, he has brought attacking entertaining football that was mocked for being european, fancy etc etc, and yet now think that argument is won. I'd still rather see arsenal play than stoke. It's sad to see it reduced to this pathetic version of himself. I'd like to see him step down on a better note. Those two goals vs Blackburn were proper well worked goals, pity about the backline.

He's had money to spend though, but has been stubborn and refused to spend it...There were stories last year that he had 70m odd sitting around for new players.

I agree with most of your post however, the advantages and insight he brought to the game have been erased by the naked spending and high wages of City, ManU, Chelsea and maybe now even Liverpool with access to fresh yank money. However I do believe that he has bought TOO MANY young players with potential and not the sprinkling of senior players he really needed.

I like his philosophy, but he has let himself and Arsenal down by being too much the purist.

Think Maetersacker will prove a good buy, but will need a few months to get the pace and aggression of the PL.

Spot on. He needed PL ready centre backs. After losing 2 first team, keep the ball midfielders and not replacing them they were always going to have to withstand more attacks this season, they were already struggling to defend anyway. Buying yet more new foreign CB when he could have splashed out on Samba or maybe even Bassong on the cheap would have been much better business than Mertesacker

I agree. You need street smarts CD's in Eng, all the fancy stuff can thrive in the midfield and upfront...But in the PL you need rocks at the back. He has been too stubborn in this regard.

Arsenal are lucky that Spurs & Liverpool don't seem to be that great, and that the teams in the next group down don't seem capable of having a consistent season. Saying that, I still think those two clubs will pip them, and 6th is the best they'll do.

It's a tricky gambit by Liv this year with their massive spending. They need to start recouping the money and I guess CL is their baseline this season.

Three sides will be fighting for that 4th spot.

He's in danger of being seen as nothing more than a super scout. He's made Arsenal a fortune over the years but his teams have become increasingly soft touches due to his lack of attention to the defensive disciplines required these days. I still think it's daft to talk of him being sacked though. They are still qualifying for the Champions League every year. Who's to say that his replacement will be able to match that?

Oh I agree he has cocked up badly in not realising the fresh crop of youngsters wasn't good enough and not bringing in a new generation earlier. Fabergas and Nasri transfers were handled badly, and had he done what he should have in the transfer window before last season probably could have kept Nasri (well ok probably not, lot more money at city lol).

But who would Arsenal get in to replace? I doubt anyone else could do much better tbh, and Wenger knows all the players well. He could take a step back to a director of footballing role, but which manager would want him breathing down their neck? Villas Boas might have been an interesting high risk gamble but now he's going to fail at moulding the old set in their ways Chelsea team, and be discredited, he could have easily slotted in to an attacking pretty football arsenal philosophy but brought some willingness to revolutionise, however he is pretty untested.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

My knowledge of managers across the world isn't the best, but I do struggle to think of someone 'good enough' to come in. Suppose the debate is do they need someone better, or someone with a new ideas/philosophies? Can't imagine it'd be anyone currently working in the UK.

• 1 month later...

So he comes into 2011 near the top of the Premier League, in the Carling Cup Final, and still in the Champions League, and comes out of it finishing 4th nowhere near the title, struggling this season to what they're used to, beaten in the first knockout stage of the Champions League and beaten in the Carling Cup Final to a team who went down...and yet is shortlisted for Manager of The Year.

Staggering. :lol: