Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Shepherd's problem was never ever the amount of spending, it was simply that he kept giving good money to the wrong managers. In that respect, very little has changed.

We laughed at the time, but one of the main reasons the likes of Parker & Emre turned down Everton in the Champions League for us was the money compared to what Everton would offer. He also blew a few seasons worth of sponsorship money on Owen when the manager wanted Anelka who was available for half of that price.

Shepherd's problem was never ever the amount of spending, it was simply that he kept giving good money to the wrong managers. In that respect, very little has changed.

there was the lee bowyer summer, ideal time to buy, possibility of champs league money and we hardly had any debt (to banks or individuals).

#nufchour

An idea was put forward for an hour-long Q&A session on Twitter, #nufchour, during which fans can ask questions about Newcastle United (more ticketing, safety, Foundation than transfers and tactics) and they will be answered by the club.

This has now been included in a new Supporter Liaison plan which will be completed shortly.

I don't envy whoever will have to sift through the 'questions'. :lol:

:lol:

Definitely a job for the intern

As long as they're not trying to flog tat from the club shop I'll be happy. It genuinely infuriates me how poorly our social media presence is utilised.

I don't even take notice of the club's tweets now because of the spam from the club shop.  Would like to know if other clubs do that from their official accounts? ???

I've had a timeline containing every Premier League clubs tweets open for about 12 months now (work related, I'm not just a dull bastard) and we're the only club who spam on that scale. Other clubs link occasionally, but we're relentless. Not just the spam, but the content we post is dross too. Compare our output to that of a club like Liverpool, who are genuinely innovative in what they're doing and probably making cash off the back of it as well, and you'd think we're a bloody conference outfit.

there was the lee bowyer summer, ideal time to buy, possibility of champs league money and we hardly had any debt (to banks or individuals).

Wonder if the summer gone will become known as the "Vurnon Anita summer". It has had a very similar feel to it as an opportunity missed.

And let's not forget him buying Duff for no reason other than him thinking £5m was a cheap fee, while leaving us with Sibierski (who we got lucky with to an extent) and Rossi as the back-up striker options to Martins & Ameobi for pretty much a season. Or half a season in Rossi's case.

I'll never forget that deadline day when we brought in Sibierski and Bernard :laugh:

Was in Blu Bambu or some other shithouse of a place refusing to believe my mates when they were getting the texts through with what was happening.

I'll never forget that deadline day when we brought in Sibierski and Bernard :laugh:

Was in Blu Bambu or some other shithouse of a place refusing to believe my mates when they were getting the texts through with what was happening.

Did we not bring in Bernard after the window because he wasn't with a club?

Sounds canny similar to the summer just gone when you were happy with intent.

Guest neesy111

#nufchour

An idea was put forward for an hour-long Q&A session on Twitter, #nufchour, during which fans can ask questions about Newcastle United (more ticketing, safety, Foundation than transfers and tactics) and they will be answered by the club.

This has now been included in a new Supporter Liaison plan which will be completed shortly.

As long as they're not trying to flog tat from the club shop I'll be happy. It genuinely infuriates me how poorly our social media presence is utilised.

I don't even take notice of the club's tweets now because of the spam from the club shop.  Would like to know if other clubs do that from their official accounts? ???

I've had a timeline containing every Premier League clubs tweets open for about 12 months now (work related, I'm not just a dull bastard) and we're the only club who spam on that scale. Other clubs link occasionally, but we're relentless. Not just the spam, but the content we post is dross too. Compare our output to that of a club like Liverpool, who are genuinely innovative in what they're doing and probably making cash off the back of it as well, and you'd think we're a bloody conference outfit.

:thup:

It just has the feeling of no thought has gone to it and the advertising is very similar style to that of Sports Direct.

#nufchour

Thank God you've pre-empted the inevitable "All clubs do it, we only notice it because it's our club" post from madras.  I was beginning to think that could be applied to any situation without a reply.

It was the Sibierski bit on that particular night I think, Bernard definitely came a bit later on.

Sibierski on the cheap and Rossi on loan. Bernard signed the next morning and never played :lol:

To suggest Mike Ashley doesn't care if we're at the bottom of the table as long as we stay up is really daft too. As is often pointed out, he has a lot of money invested in the club. If we hover around the drop zone all the time, he's going to have a rather stressful time of it. It's just as stupid to separate Ashley's desire to make money from his desire to see the club succeed as it is to separate making a profit from success. If Mike Ashley's club succeeds, he ends up making his money back and generally having a much nice time of it. He wants to succeed in business and right now that means wants the club to do well. He's got plenty of motivation for wanting to see us climb the league, clearly, just as he wants Sports Direct to do well, and any other company he's involved in.

In the summer they made a gamble that investing about £3m in the squad would be enough. If we stay up, the gamble pays off. Champagne bottles pop, Pardew gets a pat on the back and we move forward to next season. Hopefully they'll have learnt something from it.

so you think there was no truth or intent in the debuchy, de jong and douglas bids ?

At some point you have to step back and acknowledge that intent isn't enough. We have to actually do these deals, even if it costs a little bit more than we'd like. When you spend as much time identifying and monitoring players as we do, to then not get them isn't good enough because you've wasted all your time and resources and there's nobody else. The whole point of doing what we do is to ensure the player is a success, so to then miss out goes beyond a minor inconvenience in my opinion. Especially when the team and squad weaknesses are so vivid.

As a direct result of failing to go the extra mile and get players such as those you mention, we're currently teetering on the precipice that is relegation from the Premier League. If we don't bring in the kind of talent and depth that you point out we evidently wanted in the summer to fill gaping holes and are subsequently relegated, will you be content in the knowledge that the intent was there?

Alan Shearer summed it up yesterday - its time to pay up - i.e., the going rate for wages and transfers, or pay the consequences. He said that all we get from Newcastle is noises of intent, then very little action.

He is as accurate with this as he was as a striker...there is no other way of looking at it.

I've no problem with us being very shrewd in the market. Negotiating to get a fantastic deal is good business. Now when our valuation is some less than 1M off or so; I have issues with our deal makers not recognizing the opportunity cost associated with getting top players to help ensure a better results, finish, etc.  Debuchy, Douglas, and De Jong or whoever we wanted in this summer - ALL of those players should have been brought in. ALL of those players would have helped our squad size, morale and ultimately our results.

I've also no issue with us having a wage structure, and kudos to the club for getting this structure in place and being able to have the players we have on those sort of wages. But also, there comes a time when the wage ceiling needs to be increased at a certain time to ensure we continue to get top players and continue to pay our best players commensurate with their status in the team, performance, etc.

For all the hard work Graham Carr and his team put into scouting and such, we continue to undo his hard-work with our transfer fee policy and our wage structure. 

Fucking frustrating this club at times. Painful when you look at all this city, stadium and supporters offer. Can't help but wonder, why us? Whenever we fail to sign someone/build the squad whenever we gain any momentum whatsoever.

Guest tollemache

There were reasons for Debuchy, De Jong and Douglas not coming beyond us just not wanting to scrape together a few more pennies in each case. So your saying they just ALL should've been brought in no matter what seems a bit unrealistic? You just ratchet it up a few hundred grand more and give them what they want and you're home and dry...

Nah, of course there are times when the valuations are far apart you need to walk away. But it was plain for everyone to see we needed another striker, another rb, and another cb capable of playing in the first team now. We signed 1 cm and left the rest alone. So we failed, b/c injuries kicked in and form never picked up, team morale suffered and we are stuck in the position we are in the table.

Thats poor vision from the board. It wasn't like Debuchy was rated at 10M at his age, De Jong was 20M, and Douglas 15M. These were all pretty reasonable prices given the age. Sure in hindsight the Debuchy deal looks good right now given we paid much less than that  summer quoted number from Lille, but we've once again put ourselves in this position where our Board has failed the coaching staff, players, and ultimately us as supporters of the club.

#nufchour

Tbh the way our club is run these days isn't much different to the way Ashley runs Sports Direct. It works as a profit model but the lack of risk or venture means we probably miss out on bigger gains in the long run. Just look at our crappy sponsorship deals compared to other clubs of our stature.

#nufchour

:thup:

It just has the feeling of no thought has gone to it and the advertising is very similar style to that of Sports Direct.

Our digital communications are terrible, no doubt about that.

#nufchour

Tbh the way our club is run these days isn't much different to the way Ashley runs Sports Direct. It works as a profit model but the lack of risk or venture means we probably miss out on bigger gains in the long run. Just look at our crappy sponsorship deals compared to other clubs of our stature.

It's very difficult to tell because I wouldn't really say it's something that would require a great deal of money or effort on top of what we already do, plus the potential to monetise these profiles is the type of thing I'd imagine the management of the club would be all over. We either don't have the personnel, have the personnel but they're borderline illiterate when it comes to using social media or the club have simply decided to neglect digital comms. I find all three unlikely.

I've half a mind to email the cunts and offer my services, then I remember that it be a waste of time and I'm probably not their favourite person since I've just this second called them cunts.

don't all shout me down but I know a source very close to both MA and DL and was told they are looking to spend 15 to 20M this window..The source is extremely good but more than the above i cannot give..... i know most on here will shout me down but i just wanted to post what i was told !