Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Well, I wasn't calling you anything there, like. I don't really like Pardew, and would prefer for him to be replaced by a better manager (I don't think it'll happen, though). I still take issue with over the top criticisms, as Happy Face has been doing, especially when a lot of them aren't grounded in reality. I just don't have his graphs. Perhaps that's why I can understand his position better, or at least don't find it strange.

We'll continue going around in circles here, I've explained what I'm getting at.

I suppose the main issue at hand is surrounding the potential next appointment and I've been over why I don't think we'd get Dave Bassett in next numerous times. We haven't made a managerial appointment in 2 and a half years and so much else has changed since then, a lot of it for the better.

Isn't the main issue that Ashley will simply not sack Pardew so soon after handing him an eight year contract and telling the world of this revolutionary new approach to football club ownership where stability in management brings success on the pitch?

No doubt he doesn't want to sack Pardew but if the value of his assets keeps diminishing because the manager makes good players look ordinary then do you really think Ashley will want to keep flogging a dead horse?

Well, I wasn't calling you anything there, like. I don't really like Pardew, and would prefer for him to be replaced by a better manager (I don't think it'll happen, though). I still take issue with over the top criticisms, as Happy Face has been doing, especially when a lot of them aren't grounded in reality. I just don't have his graphs. Perhaps that's why I can understand his position better, or at least don't find it strange.

We'll continue going around in circles here, I've explained what I'm getting at.

I suppose the main issue at hand is surrounding the potential next appointment and I've been over why I don't think we'd get Dave Bassett in next numerous times. We haven't made a managerial appointment in 2 and a half years and so much else has changed since then, a lot of it for the better.

Isn't the main issue that Ashley will simply not sack Pardew so soon after handing him an eight year contract and telling the world of this revolutionary new approach to football club ownership where stability in management brings success on the pitch?

Nope not really, not when we're debating whether we'd like to see Pardew sacked or not.

If you think Happy Face is wasting his time by pointing out fallacies in overly harsh or (factually) unfounded criticism directed at Pardew, then what the hell are you doing debating whether you'd like to see Pardew sacked or not, knowing full well it won't happen?

No doubt he doesn't want to sack Pardew but if the value of his assets keeps diminishing because the manager makes good players look ordinary then do you really think Ashley will want to keep flogging a dead horse?

Not infinitely of course, but I'm convinced he'll be here for the start of next season.

One point Raconteur is correct about is that HF is more keen to divert the blame to Ashley than the manager because he's one of the NUSC brigade. No doubt that Ashley appoints the manager and should carry the can, but there's nothing to say that he can't sack him and appoint someone better. We all thought Ashley would never invest in quality players but that's changed now, so no reason we can't get a quality manager as we find stability. Or at least one that can pick the best 11 and has some modicum of logic when setting teams out or making subs.

NUSC brigade  :lol:  I went along to one of their meetings to see the craic. Paid my dues once.  I was supportive of them for a bit...until they said they were gonna buy the club.  Nob cheeses.

I think the investment in players has been minimal at best.  He's still over £16m up on that score...

http://i44.tinypic.com/20ku0oy.jpg

I think the investment in players has been minimal at best.  He's still over £16m up on that score...

He's only 'up' because you included agent's fees from outgoing transfers?

Edit: To be a bit clearer, those headline numbers don't include the fees lost to agents or to loyalty bonuses: we pay them on incoming transfers, so they're same, but on outgoing transfers, it's money that doesn't come to NUFC so figures should be lower. 

Again Unbelievable missing the point by a f***ing furlong and ending another post with "Mike won't do it anyway so it doesn't matter ner ner ner ner ner" :lol:

It's easy to miss the point when Interpolic decides what the point is, even though "the point" is completely theoretical. Sorry for busting your bubble if you naively believed we were in for a manager change.

Again Unbelievable missing the point by a fucking furlong and ending another post with "Mike won't do it anyway so it doesn't matter ner ner ner ner ner" :lol:

His reason for believing Mike will appoint a better/more expensive manager was that we have made big investments on the field.

The fact that we have not actually spent that much on the playing staff, points to this faith in further investment off the field being baseless.

Further, investment in playing staff is not particularly relevant because playing staff offer a return on investment.  They can be sold at profit, or at least allow the club to recoup some of what was paid.  Managerial appointments offer no such return, so for Mike Ashley it's pissing money away.

He's a cheap and nasty man.  Go into Sports Direct if you don't believe it.

Nope not really, not when we're debating whether we'd like to see Pardew sacked or not.

If you think Happy Face is wasting his time by pointing out fallacies in overly harsh or (factually) unfounded criticism directed at Pardew, then what the hell are you doing debating whether you'd like to see Pardew sacked or not, knowing full well it won't happen?

Christ almighty, it's such a simple point I have no idea how you can't grasp it. We were talking about why HF isn't that fussed on seeing Pardew sacked despite the fact he doesn't rate him, not how likely it is he'll be sacked. You're arguing with people for the sake of arguing with people.

Again Unbelievable missing the point by a fucking furlong and ending another post with "Mike won't do it anyway so it doesn't matter ner ner ner ner ner" :lol:

His reason for believing Mike will appoint a better/more expensive manager was that we have made big investments on the field.

The fact that we have not actually spent that much on the playing staff, points to this faith in further investment off the field being baseless.

Further, investment in playing staff is not particularly relevant because playing staff offer a return on investment.  They can be sold at profit, or at least allow the club to recoup some of what was paid.  Managerial appointments offer no such return, so for Mike Ashley it's pissing money away.

We've invested more wisely is the point.

I'm not really too worried about our actual spend number. We could easily have paid double for Ben Arfa and five times as much for Sissoko... they're still class signings.

Me neither.

I don't think it's possible to challenge the top 5 regularly with cheap buys, but there's no reason we can't maintain mid-tale finishes shopping in the bargain bin as well as we have.

It's only relevant here as player investment is used to justify the line of thought that Ashhley can bring in a manager with any class.

Again Unbelievable missing the point by a f***ing furlong and ending another post with "Mike won't do it anyway so it doesn't matter ner ner ner ner ner" :lol:

It's easy to miss the point when Interpolic decides what the point is, even though "the point" is completely theoretical. Sorry for busting your bubble if you naively believed we were in for a manager change.

You did miss the point, I was wondering why HF hated the manager yet didn't want him sacked and you came storming in with a water pistol going on about how he wouldn't be sacked anyway.

I like HTT's point here:

In the appointment of Shearer, I think Ashley showed he could think outside of the box, take a risk and look at things differently. I'd be happy for Ashley to think along the same lines again.

I'm not really too worried about our actual spend number. We could easily have paid double for Ben Arfa and five times as much for Sissoko... they're still class signings.

Me neither.

I don't think it's possible to challenge the top 5 regularly with cheap buys, but there's no reason we can't maintain mid-tale finishes shopping in the bargain bin as well as we have.

It's only relevant here as player investment is used to justify the line of thought that Ashhley can bring in a manager with any class.

Again we've invested more wisely in highly rated technical players, there's no reason to think we won't bring in a manager that complements them if and when the penny drops.

He's not a cheap and nasty man at all, he's one of the most successful men in this country :lol:

I like HTT's point here:

In the appointment of Shearer, I think Ashley showed he could think outside of the box, take a risk and look at things differently. I'd be happy for Ashley to think along the same lines again.

It's an interesting point, although we wouldn't want it to be quite as disastrous as last time. Also it doesn't seem like taking a total punt on a leftfield appointment is really likely to work out for Newcastle.

Christ almighty, it's such a simple point I have no idea how you can't grasp it. We were talking about why HF isn't that fussed on seeing Pardew sacked despite the fact he doesn't rate him, not how likely it is he'll be sacked. You're arguing with people for the sake of arguing with people.

Oh, don't worry, I understand your "point" completely. I just find it ironic in the extreme that you would point out when you feel other posters are wasting their time whilst crusading non stop against Pardew, knowing full well there is absolutely no point. I mean, 99,9% of the posters of this board want him gone, so who are you trying to convince? Shame the man in control doesn't.

He's only 'up' because you included agent's fees from outgoing transfers?

Edit: To be a bit clearer, those headline numbers don't include the fees lost to agents or to loyalty bonuses: we pay them on incoming transfers, so they're same, but on outgoing transfers, it's money that doesn't come to NUFC so figures should be lower.

Fair point.  I can only really base it on reported numbers.  No idea on those costs.  The total incoming lokks about £120m - £130m.

If we assume 10% on agents fees (fair?) then that would take £12m-£13m off the total.

Me neither.

Again we've invested more wisely in highly rated technical players, there's no reason to think we won't bring in a manager that complements them if and when the penny drops.

I agree this is possible. I never thought we would make so many good playing investments, but we developed our approach and it worked. It's possible we could do the same again. Ashley is demonstrating that he cares more about doing things well than he did in the past.

That said, it's still a big unknown and jumping on the managerial merry-go-round isn't something I'm 100% up for at this point. Blame post-traumatic stress from the last few times.

You did miss the point, I was wondering why HF hated the manager yet didn't want him sacked and you came storming in with a water pistol going on about how he wouldn't be sacked anyway.

Point or "main issue"?

Oh, don't worry, I understand your "point" completely. I just find it ironic in the extreme that you would point out when you feel other posters are wasting their time whilst crusading non stop against Pardew, knowing full well there is absolutely no point. I mean, 99,9% of the posters of this board want him gone, so who are you trying to convince? Shame the man in control doesn't.

Did I even say anyone was wasting their time?