Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Guest neesy111

We also need someone with £200m at the very very least who is just prepared to buy us.

I know you said £200m at the very least, but I honestly think it would need to be someone with many times more than that. Buying the club is one thing, you then have to be able to fund it to a higher level than it is now. Someone who can just about buy the club isn't what we need, it needs to be small change to them. An extreme example I know but I really shudder to think where we'd be if Ashley had sold out to Barry Moat - an enthusiastic owner no doubt but that "pieced together" finance package of his was so small time.

I know that, £200m wouldn't even scratch the surface. Was just saying it's all well and good having the Ashley out campaigns, but without a buyer it's futile.

It is. And there's no guarantee of someone better coming in tbh, in recent memory there have been worse owners of Premiership football clubs than Ashley.

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett.

Ashley is far worse than them.  They still spent vast sums on players and finished 2nd in the league.

And RBS once had a very high market cap and were paying decent dividends and bonuses to their staff. Seriously Neesy do some proper research on what they were doing. You could start by having a look at the sequence of events that led up to their departure.

I know what happened, no need to be patronising about it.

We also need someone with £200m at the very very least who is just prepared to buy us.

I know you said £200m at the very least, but I honestly think it would need to be someone with many times more than that. Buying the club is one thing, you then have to be able to fund it to a higher level than it is now. Someone who can just about buy the club isn't what we need, it needs to be small change to them. An extreme example I know but I really shudder to think where we'd be if Ashley had sold out to Barry Moat - an enthusiastic owner no doubt but that "pieced together" finance package of his was so small time.

I know that, £200m wouldn't even scratch the surface. Was just saying it's all well and good having the Ashley out campaigns, but without a buyer it's futile.

It is. And there's no guarantee of someone better coming in tbh, in recent memory there have been worse owners of Premiership football clubs than Ashley.

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett.

Ashley is far worse than them.  They still spent vast sums on players and finished 2nd in the league.

Give me Hicks and Gillett any day. I'd even take new owners who were skint after buying the club but did their best with what they've got even if it meant little investment on players and a worse team than we have now. I just want to feel like everyones pulling in the same forwards direction again.

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett, the Venky chicken lot, whoever it is that owns Wolves. If you want to extend it a little further north than the Premiership there's always Rangers.

I'm not saying Ashley is the worst for certain, but he is certainly a contender based on a number of quite frankly stupendously stupid decisions, such as the stadium renaming, the KK/Wise affair, the Kinnear appointment (twice) and the fact he is completely uncommunicative/has horrendous PR. I certainly wouldn't be overly worried we could be far worse off if he finally upped sticks, as I was when he bought the club.

Either way, there have been worse is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Don't disagree with a lot of that. I have been left p*ssed off, gobsmacked, livid etc by some of Ashley's decisions. Can't believe we are close to having a competitive squad and he had a golden opportunity to take it to the next level and screwed it up. The really annoying thing is that some of what he has done has been ok, we are certainly in a far better state than when he bought us for a start. Frustrating that he can't build on that. He either just wants to run it out to reduce his loan and then flog it - or he just doesn't get what this "football thing" is all about.

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett, the Venky chicken lot, whoever it is that owns Wolves. If you want to extend it a little further north than the Premiership there's always Rangers.

I'm not saying Ashley is the worst for certain, but he is certainly a contender based on a number of quite frankly stupendously stupid decisions, such as the stadium renaming, the KK/Wise affair, the Kinnear appointment (twice) and the fact he is completely uncommunicative/has horrendous PR. I certainly wouldn't be overly worried we could be far worse off if he finally upped sticks, as I was when he bought the club.

Don't disagree with a lot of that. I have been left p*ssed off, gobsmacked, livid etc by some of Ashley's decisions. Can't believe we are close to having a competitive squad and he had a golden opportunity to take it to the next level and screwed it up. The really annoying thing is that some of what he has done has been ok, we are certainly in a far better state than when he bought us for a start. Frustrating that he can't build on that. He either just wants to run it out to reduce his loan and then flog it - or he just doesn't get what this "football thing" is all about.

Again, very debatable

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett.

And RBS once had a very high market cap and were paying decent dividends and bonuses to their staff. Seriously Neesy do some proper research on what they were doing. You could start by having a look at the sequence of events that led up to their departure.

That's another thing: all the examples you have given are no longer Premiership club owners. Of the current lot, Ashley must rank amongst the worst.

FFS read what I said in my original post. All of those are examples of recent Premiership owners, put a club up for sale and there's a risk that you end up with something worse.

Debatable.

Again, very debatable

I give up.

Unless you're a fan of finances, specifically who we owe money to (quite a bit more bothered about football myself) then I can't see how we're any better off. We're far less ambitious, far less prestigious, no more stable and suffer almost constant embarrassment including the ultimate shame of relegation. We were something, now we're nothing.

Unless you're a fan of finances (quite a bit more bothered about football myself) then I can't see how we're any better off. We're far less ambitious, far less prestigious, no more stable and have suffered almost constant embarrassment including the ultimate shame of relegation. We were something, now we're nothing.

Fucking pennyless. 

Im just glad we dont own the land the stadium is built on.  I bet that land would have been the first to erm, vanish from club ownership.

Unless you're a fan of finances (quite a bit more bothered about football myself) then I can't see how we're any better off. We're far less ambitious, far less prestigious, no more stable and have suffered almost constant embarrassment including the ultimate shame of relegation. We were something, now we're nothing.

I know little about finances and like you I am more bothered about the football, but ultimately they come hand in hand to a degree.

I would have thought though, by protecting your assets and adding to them, you would generate a higher level of income through higher league finishes. Then you could try and consolidate your position at a higher level, for example in Europe. Instead we have raised to a level then chose not to maintain it, and now risk going backwards to the point we could be relegated. Not that I think we will like, but it's f***ing stupid.

When he bought us we had ambition, now we have nothing just mediocrity

Shepherd's final summer transfer window (2006) our incoming players were Martins, Sibierski,Duff (legs gone), a clapped out Olivier Bernard and Giuseppe Rossi on loan who hardly ever played. I feel the need to say that Oba gave us some great moments and I liked Sib. But f*ck me where was the ambition in that lot? Are those the signings of a top 6 side? And then you might ask why we couldn't go after better signings.

Debatable.

Hicks/Gillett.

That's another thing: all the examples you have given are no longer Premiership club owners. Of the current lot, Ashley must rank amongst the worst.

FFS read what I said in my original post. All of those are examples of recent Premiership owners, put a club up for sale and there's a risk that you end up with something worse.

This is one of the many reasons despots stay in power.  Cynical to the extreme when you fear the unknown over the Devil.  I'd rather have a shot of getting somebody better than deal with this fucking lowlife owner.  Like an obese vampire, he has sucked our enthusiasm for this club dry.  And you are worried about the next guy being worse?  FFS indeed.

its all moot anyway, theres no buyers and no hint of a buyer and nothing we can do will force one to appear from thin air.

Sadly, this.  We can all make banners, or have meetings, but in truth we are pretty helpless on this one.  One power I do have is making football and NUFC less of a priority in my life.

Unless you're a fan of finances, specifically who we owe money to (quite a bit more bothered about football myself) then I can't see how we're any better off. We're far less ambitious, far less prestigious, no more stable and suffer almost constant embarrassment including the ultimate shame of relegation. We were something, now we're nothing.

100% this. Our average league position in Ashley's tenure is lower than in the period before he took over. To suggest it isn't debatable if we have made progress is quite frankly laughable. Unfortunately our resident balance sheet fan has given up on trying to explain with arguments his opinions presented as fact.

When he put the £30m loan in after relegation, which went to help us keep the likes of Colo he has since took back £12m of that and left in £18m.

That came from Lee at tonights Fansunited meeting when he was answering the questions that were in tonights chronicle

you can do well with Ashley's philosophy if you run the club intelligently.

However, signing Pards to an 8 year contract, bringing back JFK and allowing Carr to get so angry he wants to leave can't be classified as "intelligent".

The smart move, after finishing 5th, was to strengthen the club last summer and see if Pardew can handle the rigors of euro football before offering him an extension.  Bringing back Kinnear is perhaps the daftest move Ashley could have possibly made and I really believe it's Mike's way of giving us all the finger.

100% this. Our average league position in Ashley's tenure is lower than in the period before he took over. To suggest it isn't debatable if we have made progress is quite frankly laughable. Unfortunately our resident balance sheet fan has given up on trying to explain with arguments his opinions presented as fact.

Am interested in who you are referring to and why you say that.

When he put the £30m loan in after relegation, which went to help us keep the likes of Colo he has since took back £12m of that and left in £18m.

That came from Lee at tonights Fansunited meeting when he was answering the questions that were in tonights chronicle

makes sense.