Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The worst part of this is it's killing the NUFC brand.

We're going to be seen as a tacky nothing club with s*** merchandise and s*** online presence. Our website is complete garbage compared to other clubs. Why would any company want to advertise with Newcastle when we are just a toxic brand?

Why would NUFC/Sports Direct want other companies to advertise? It's all there for SD to get as much exposure as possible.

Well that's exactly my point. And it's going to kill us in the future, even if Ashley leaves. Will take a lot to recover from the 'Sports Direct' brand.

Guest neesy111

Sports Direct for a business with revenues of almost 2 billion most have lazy designers or do their IT on the cheap to basically copy their website, change the colours and some icons and then put in on nufcdirect.com.

Sports Direct for a business with revenues of almost 2 billion most have lazy designers or do their IT on the cheap to basically copy their website, change the colours and some icons and then put in on nufcdirect.com.

Cheap...doesnt need to be flashy selling crap to people.

Guest neesy111

Cheap...doesnt need to be flashy selling crap to people.

Don't think they care. The shops are absolute shit holes and still do great business.

No competition.  If you need some football boots etc, where do you go on the high-street now?

The 2012 accoiunts disclose nothing about any relationship between Sports Direct and the club with regard to merchandising. The club would have to disclose that as it would be what is known as a Related Party transaction. The only 2 Related Party transactions in the accounts are the free advertising SD get at SJP and the loan provided by Ashley. Unless maybe it did not start until after june 2012?

this would be marked down as internet hearsay by the local press. doubt they'd be interested (and scared of making waves) without proof. would anything show up in the details of the accounts, maybe cross referencing NUFC's and sports directs ?

Guest mavericknufc

My mate reckons when you buy stuff off the club's website it comes to you in Sports Direct packaging, anyone know if that's correct?

I wouldn't know personally, SD 4 Life.

Aye, bought one of the retro shirts and it came with one of those massive sports direct mugs in with the packaging.

The 2012 accoiunts disclose nothing about any relationship between Sports Direct and the club with regard to merchandising. The club would have to disclose that as it would be what is known as a Related Party transaction. The only 2 Related Party transactions in the accounts are the free advertising SD get at SJP and the loan provided by Ashley. Unless maybe it did not start until after june 2012?

It can't be anything other than a related party transaction.  Would us getting nothing for it make any difference?  After all, it's only a link on a website.

Guest neesy111

Outsource the retail and merchandising selling to SD for a nominal fee which keeps costs down (but little profit) at NUFC and SD keep the profits from sales, is my guess for what's going on.

Understandable but hate anything to do with SD.

On the face of it, it would make perfect sense as SD can operate the shops cheaper than NUFC could. But given the arrangement for advertising you have to wonder just how much the club is seeing after the merchendise sales.

Outsource the retail and merchandising selling to SD for a nominal fee which keeps costs down (but little profit) at NUFC and SD keep the profits from sales, is my guess for what's going on.

could that not be classed as fraud ?

Is it not similar to the catering?

On the face of it, it would make perfect sense as SD can operate the shops cheaper than NUFC could. But given the arrangement for advertising you have to wonder just how much the club is seeing after the merchendise sales.

Llambias claimed we made £100k to £200k from retail.

Guest neesy111

Nope, there'll be a contract just it'll be a small fee.

no idea, how much do we get from outsourcing that ? Is it a legitimate ammount as opposed to a "nominal fee" ?

It's fine as long as it's not seen as a way of shifting profits for tax planning purposes. Although even then, that's no problem form Amazon and Starbucks.

Guest neesy111

Yes, but that is a typical outsourcing activity to a local business.  In reality if the retail operation has been outsourced it should had went to tender, but their are some ways to get around it.

It's fine as long as it's not seen as a way of shifting profits for tax planning purposes. Although even then, that's no problem form Amazon and Starbucks.

which it would be surely ?

Guest neesy111

which it would be surely ?

I can't see it being for that.  It's just a way for SD to hold our stock and sell NUFC merchandise so that they make most of the profit.

Guest mavericknufc

Aye, bought one of the retro shirts and it came with one of those massive sports direct mugs in with the packaging.

Do you know who the money went to?

I have no idea. I bought the shirt months ago from the club website and thought nothing of it other than a shameless bit of advertising.

I have noticed that the stocking is exactly the same on the clubs website and SD.  A few of the old shirts were only available in XL on club website so I'd checked on SD and they only had XL available too.