Liverpool threaten to breakaway from Premier League TV rights deal

Tiresias

Why should the other Premier League clubs vote for that? Liverpool and maybe one or two other clubs could threaten a breakaway, but I don't think they'd get enough backing for that either.

I think you're missing the point of a breakaway. :lol:

Anyway, I think this has come to the fore because of the Sky court case. The next Sky TV deal will be nowhere near as big as the last one if this ruling is upheld as the value of their product has been potentially decimated. Hence Liverpool are looking to sell their own rights.

Can see their logic, but that doesn't detract from them being a massive bunch of cunts.

Despite all the money in the game the players's wages have gotten out of hand now.  I don't necessarily blame Sky because clubs could have used the Sky money for anything they wanted - training facilities, scouting, youth, stadium, community work - but they're stuck with average players on £50k+ a week and are panicking in case their turnover decreases.

I was always against a wage cap, mainly because it's difficult to enforce in continental football really, but something needs to be done here.

Why should the other Premier League clubs vote for that? Liverpool and maybe one or two other clubs could threaten a breakaway, but I don't think they'd get enough backing for that either.

I think you're missing the point of a breakaway. :lol:

Anyway, I think this has come to the fore because of the Sky court case. The next Sky TV deal will be nowhere near as big as the last one if this ruling is upheld as the value of their product has been potentially decimated. Hence Liverpool are looking to sell their own rights.

Can see their logic, but that doesn't detract from them being a massive bunch of cunts.

actually not really, while the matchs are fine to show anything that is a copyrighted etc premier league logo theme etc is not ok to show, those premier league logos are everywhere and all they have to do is put even more up and get the foreign broadcasters to use them more and back to normal

Would it be a fair compromise to cap wages as a percentage of turnover on a sliding scale based on say an average of the previous three years' finishing positions? Basically so there's a sensible limit set to what anyone can spend, but for the clubs regularly finishing higher up the table, that limited percentage is lower. Clubs further down don't have to spend if they don't want to, but they have more flexibility to try and push on.

If the Bosman ruling got overturned and made it easier for clubs to hold onto players, then a wage cap might do less damage. Having said that don't believe losing the ability to attract the big names players is no disaster really, it is unfortunate, but at some point one has to imagine the economy is going to catch up with the big European clubs and players will disperse more.

Nothing's going to happen any time soon, it's going to take some economic disaster to happen to a big club for everyone to start getting their houses in order.

Still think this more games on TV = lower attendances thing is somewhat of a myth. Everyone watches the games illegally anyway.

It's f*** off expensive tickets and poor experience/football performances which is why attendances are dwindling IMO. People just don't have the extra cash these days.

Still think this more games on TV = lower attendances thing is somewhat of a myth. Everyone watches the games illegally anyway.

It's f*** off expensive tickets and poor experience/football performances which is why attendances are dwindling IMO. People just don't have the extra cash these days.

spot on

Guest north shields lad

This wont happen because a majority of clubs would have to vote it in. I agree about a wage cap though. Maybe saying no club can spend more than 40% of there turnover on wages.

Liverpool fans are going off it on there boards, this is the general sort of stuff there saying

We'll be responsible for killing domestic football if this comes about.

If Ayre is serious and spouting the new owners' view then why not do it in a more intelligent and less insulting way.

Explain in detail what this would mean for the other Clubs, competiveness within the PL and other English divisions, the ultimate aim and game plan (European League, US style franchises and closed leagues?).

Floating the idea in a paper is appalling and something I am personally sick in my stomach about. A Club that has prided itself on its roots, its City and its people's attitudes now looks like being one of the main instigators of the destruction of the English structure.

Sorry, I'm not interested in PSV, Napoli and Leverkusen every season, nor to be honest Barca, Real or Bayern. History and tradition have a place and whether we like it or not we (LFC) and we (current football supporters) have a responsibility to other Clubs and supporters too.

Hang your head in shame Ian.

This wont happen because a majority of clubs would have to vote it in. I agree about a wage cap though. Maybe saying no club can spend more than 40% of there turnover on wages.

Liverpool fans are going off it on there boards, this is the general sort of stuff there saying

We'll be responsible for killing domestic football if this comes about.

If Ayre is serious and spouting the new owners' view then why not do it in a more intelligent and less insulting way.

Explain in detail what this would mean for the other Clubs, competiveness within the PL and other English divisions, the ultimate aim and game plan (European League, US style franchises and closed leagues?).

Floating the idea in a paper is appalling and something I am personally sick in my stomach about. A Club that has prided itself on its roots, its City and its people's attitudes now looks like being one of the main instigators of the destruction of the English structure.

Sorry, I'm not interested in PSV, Napoli and Leverkusen every season, nor to be honest Barca, Real or Bayern. History and tradition have a place and whether we like it or not we (LFC) and we (current football supporters) have a responsibility to other Clubs and supporters too.

Hang your head in shame Ian.

Good on them :thup:

There should be pressure on Spain to drop their ridiculous system, not to join them.

The Italians saw sense and dropped it a few years ago and Spain seems to be going the same way with the protests.

Not surprised. Henry has seen what having your own network can do. This wouldn't be exactly the same model, but it's certainly a way to maximize revenue.

No way this gets enough votes to pass.

f***ing winging wall pushers man. Man Utd are better than you, live with it. The rest of us have to

:lol: I like this.

Crazy idea...The league is a far better product as a collective.

Agreed.

They'll never get the votes they need from the other clubs to get this through anyway.

Also, it would be tricky threatening a break away league...Who are they gonna play, each other 6 times??

The Liverpool official who's quoted in the Guardian article sounds like a ranting politics undergrad.  He has no semblance of a clue about reality.  Funny.

Unfortunately he does have a clue.  He's been a football, LFC fan all of his life.

I hope it goes no further than todays headlines, football as we knew it has been torn apart too much already.

Absolutely crazy idea. I'm sort of speechless that they have even suggested it.

Jesus christ. Fair play to their supporters though, can't see this going very far at all. I also fully expect to see a statement from the other big clubs shooting it down.