Liverpool threaten to breakaway from Premier League TV rights deal

Tiresias

About time we took the lead on something instead of twiddling our thumbs while the Mancs and London clubs march past us.

Football is already dead. First in gets to strip off the most flesh is the way I see it.

I fuckin love our new owners.

This is one market where we will have a big advantage over the likes of City and Chelsea. We really do need to do all we can to bridge the financial gap between us and City. This is certainly one way.

I couldn't care less about the Boltons and Blackburns to be honest.

I think we were all in agreement that when the newer yanks came on board that we had to a) Spend some money and b) had to generate some as well, as we've been poor to say the least at that over the years. Now we take a forward thinking approach which is aimed at giving us a an even footing in the financial stakes - we don't like what we see.

It's not going to pretty considering our past. it never was once the 1992 era began, but we have to wake up and realise it's about us no-one else, just us, and we have to look after number 1, thats sadly the way of the world these days and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Now this idea may not come to fruition, but it shows one thing - the business side of the club is starting to box a bit clever, for once. and if we have to step on a few toes along the way to get where we want to be, then so be it.

It's not all the scouse views, there are quite a few for it all be it for different reasons.

The ultimate expression of self interest and fuck everyone else.

Liverpool are clearly faced with Man City settling into their top four, money-syphoning position, and no way to even begin to compete financially. They can't afford to build a new ground, they don't want to share one with Everton, they can't increase their revenue beyond the Sky deal increasing in value, and they're watching the likes of Man City easily overtake them, and Tottenham catch up with them.

Say what you like about the dynasty that Man United built, but they earn so much now because they did it by incrementally improving their ground and providing the on-pitch success to do so. Liverpool don't want to build a bigger ground because it costs money (why can't Henry put his hand in his pocket?), and can't get the on-field success to do the same, so they want to do this, take the short cut and fuck the cost.

Corny thought it is to say it, Bill Shankly truly would be turning in his grave to see this kind of self-serving, low rent behaviour.

Some of the quotes in that article were the most blatant, obvious examples of the financial arrogance which is currently ruining football. How anyone can think that even beginning to approach the Spanish league model is a good thing is beyond me.

My initial thought was that this is the thin end of the wedge, but it isn't, that was the formation of the premier league. If this happens, in a few years time, we'll hear "why should we share the Sky money with the likes of Blackburn or Bolton?", you can bet your house on it.

It has always been a big factor, but the game now is entirely about money. The likes of John Henry aren't getting involved in the PL because they have grand philanthropic notions, they're doing it because they think there's scope to do this type of individual deal rather than sharing the wealth the way they have to in US pro sports. I'm just surprised he's managed to let the cat out of the bag so soon.

If the likes of Bolton and Blackburn (and, let's have no illusions about this, Newcastle, Villa, Everton et al too) aren't good enough for them, then they should fuck off an play in a European league. They can't have it both ways.

Good luck having the Monday morning banter about the match with all those PSV, Benfica and Roma fans, though.

The ultimate expression of self interest and f*** everyone else.

Liverpool are clearly faced with Man City settling into their top four, money-syphoning position, and no way to even begin to compete financially. They can't afford to build a new ground, they don't want to share one with Everton, they can't increase their revenue beyond the Sky deal increasing in value, and they're watching the likes of Man City easily overtake them, and Tottenham catch up with them.

They can well afford to build a new ground, their hesitation is more that they'd like to refurb Anfield, but there's too much red tape from the local council.  Revenue has increased greatly over the past couple of years, Ian Ayre being the one to achieve it.  We will have the biggest replica shirt deal in the country starting next season, and the deal with Standard Chartered is worth 20 million a season, rather than the 8 million Carlsberg deal.  So other than the City comment your first paragraph is rubbish.

Say what you like about the dynasty that Man United built, but they earn so much now because they did it by incrementally improving their ground and providing the on-pitch success to do so. Liverpool don't want to build a bigger ground because it costs money (why can't Henry put his hand in his pocket?), and can't get the on-field success to do the same, so they want to do this, take the short cut and f*** the cost.

There you go again, writing about things you know nothing about, of course Liverpool want to build or do up Anfield.  FSG were prepared to spend a fortune to stay at  Anfield because of it's history and the feelings fans have for it, but the local council have put obstacles in the way, and will only go with the original 65,000 seater.  Over the three years of the previous owners Liverpool declined at a rapid rate, and money was syphoned off to their own pockets and making big interest payments on the loan they took out to buy the club, so success on the pitch was hindered considerably.

Corny thought it is to say it, Bill Shankly truly would be turning in his grave to see this kind of self-serving, low rent behaviour.

Shanks would have been turning in his grave from 1992 onwards.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Every Liverpool fan on the internet has the same damage control patter.  ;D

"You know nothing about football."

"You're a troll."

"Ignorant."

I haven't time to read through 4 pages but didn't man united try this a few years ago? In fact wasn't the glazers business plan partly based om breaking away from the premier league tv deal? Fairly sure it was stamped on as quickly as it was raised.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I haven't time to read through 4 pages but didn't man united try this a few years ago? In fact wasn't the glazers business plan partly based om breaking away from the premier league tv deal? Fairly sure it was stamped on as quickly as it was raised.

Paul McCarthy said on SSN this morning that Peter Kenyon wanted to do this in 2003.  The vote went 19-1 against Kenyon.

Guest elbee909

Isn't it weird how Newcastle fans 'know nothing about' Liverpool time and again?  I actually see not knowing stuff about a team I don't support as something of a compliment.

The motivation behind this is due to the dominance of Barca and Real Madrid, top clubs in England see them racing ahead of them in European competition with more funds etc and want similar TV money.

Wrong thinking though, dominance is cyclical anyway, Barcalona can't keep it up forever, incomes rise and will fall, and it's depressing that the way to beat other clubs is now thought of in purely terms of outspending them.

Every Liverpool fan on the internet has the same damage control patter.  ;D

"You know nothing about football."

"You're a troll."

"Ignorant."

Just putting the guy straight.  I've seen lots of posts from Newcastle fans saying that other fans don't know what's really happening at SJP.

Liverpool MP on claiming that the 96 are more important than the nation's pensions on PMQs.

Wrong.  It's MP's pensions not the nations.

The Liverpool propaganda machine is fully in motion at the moment - there's seemingly 'a fan' on every site trying to defend their club's actions.

Not worth saving face, lads, or even trying to - no-one likes you.

I'm not defending what Ayre said, I'm totally against it.  Neither could I care less who likes us or not.