On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

Guest BooBoo

Just saying or rather repeating what a lot of journos reported upon speaking with Mort.

It's one of Ashley's biggest failings that the two men he appointed as chairmen were business savvy mates rather than people who had a grasp on the game.

Llambias is a difficult bloke to like although if there's a positive it's that he seems pretty tough in a business sense. I can't imagine him putting up with any shit in negotiations.

FA Cup Final in 1999.

Drinking Brown Ale and eating Greggs Cheese Pasties on the train at 7AM and then drinking around Marylebone pre match.

I was over the moon when Roy Keane went off injured only for his replacement Teddy Sheringham to score soon afterwards.

Was right behind the goal when both Ketsbaia and Maric missed what looked like sitters in the 2nd half.

Was so pissed off afterwards we just jumped on the first train we saw at Kings Cross and had to get off at Doncaster as it was actually going to Hull.

Then had to watch loads of football specials rattle through Donny before finally getting on atrain home.

Guest neesy111

Mort left Llambias in the shit over the DoF and Wise fiasco with Keegan, though Mort would had most likely handled it much better.

Other than his communication and the fact he's quite clearly a better human being, I cannot really see what Mort brought to the club that we havn't got now.

At the time when we didn't really know what was going on it was awful not having a decent communicator at the club, like, but I doubt things would have been much differant had he stayed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ahead of the game, a statesman-like Kevin Keegan had commented:

"This signing is for the people of Newcastle. It just shows you the ambition of Newcastle United. We are the biggest thinking team in Europe now.

"We're not the biggest, most successful team, but we're the biggest thinking club and we have tremendous support from above which allows me to buy players.

"Alan will not be joining us here. Tell the Thai team they just have to worry about Ferdinand, Beardsley and Asprilla.

"I have signed Alan to play alongside Les Ferdinand and I am convinced they will be the most potent strike force anywhere. I see the signing of Alan Shearer as just reward for our fans.

"Like everyone else, I am ecstatic with this signing - I think it shows our ambition. Now we have signed the best for the best."

Keegan's basically Churchill to Geordie's man.  :love:

Ahead of the game, a statesman-like Kevin Keegan had commented:

"This signing is for the people of Newcastle. It just shows you the ambition of Newcastle United. We are the biggest thinking team in Europe now.

"We're not the biggest, most successful team, but we're the biggest thinking club and we have tremendous support from above which allows me to buy players.

"Alan will not be joining us here. Tell the Thai team they just have to worry about Ferdinand, Beardsley and Asprilla.

"I have signed Alan to play alongside Les Ferdinand and I am convinced they will be the most potent strike force anywhere. I see the signing of Alan Shearer as just reward for our fans.

"Like everyone else, I am ecstatic with this signing - I think it shows our ambition. Now we have signed the best for the best."

Keegan's basically Churchill to Geordie's man.  :love:

:smitten:

2001 1860 Munich (h)

3-1 (1-1)

Intertoto Cup Semi-final 2nd Leg

Speed(5), LuaLua(80), Solano(89pen)

Schroth(42)

After a fine 3-2 victory in the Olympic Stadium, United finished the job against the Germans and qualified for the Intertoto Cup Final on a 6-3 aggregate.

Your correspondents will forever remember this game for a bizarre pre-match meeting with a certain Mr Shepherd.

On the field, new signing Laurent Robert was paraded but took no part in the game.

http://nufc.com/progs/2001-02progs/2001-08-01munichh-s.jpg

My first ever game :aww:

Was in the Gallowgate and at half time my dad asked if we wanted some food. Me and my brother obviously said 'yes'.

He came back about twenty minutes into the second half fuming at how long of the game we'd missed.

Add to this i then dropped the hot dog when he handed it to me :lol:

For the next 4 years we started bringing food into the games, much to the enjoyment of people sitting around us, chowing down on all our Sports Mixtures  :embarrassed:

Kinnear, three years ago today:

"I have been offered a two-year contract and it is something I am mulling over at the present time.

"I have told Mike (Ashley) I am not going to go back to football for at least another three months and we will look at the situation then.

"I told him I would refuse to go back for pre-season friendlies as I was not up to it for medical reasons. I needed to take time out and re-assess the situation and take it from there. But obviously in another three months the picture might be completely different.

"In the meantime if Newcastle feel the need to go and get another manager then so be it. But should that happen I will be on the look-out elsewhere and as we all know the only time you do get asked to take these positions is when someone else loses their job.

"I was definitely offered the job a couple of weeks ago. I sat down and spoke in depth to Derek Llambias and the offer was a two-year contract.

"I left the club who were lying 13th when I had my illness, and I would have staked my life on us staying up. We were in good form at that particular time, we were playing extremely well."

*shudder*

Guest BooBoo

"I tried to sell Geremi the other day. That woud have raised £5million. People forget that Mike's lost £2billion through the credit crunch."

Incredible that the oaf was once managing this club.

Also, a (barely) interesting day for recent pre-seasons. Shearer scored twice against Bayern Munich in 02. Nicky Butt scored twice against Villerreal in 06, having last featured in the Cardiff/Manu massacre. Then in 07, Smith scored his only goal for us. Mental how much i was buzzing that pre-season under Allardyce.

I'm bored.

Also, a (barely) interesting day for recent pre-seasons. Shearer scored twice against Bayern Munich in 02. Nicky Butt scored twice against Villerreal in 06, having last featured in the Cardiff/Manu massacre. Then in 07, Smith scored his only goal for us. Mental how much i was buzzing that pre-season under Allardyce.

I'm bored.

That's quite an interesting sort of stat actually.