St James' Park

Dave

Personally not believing this.

Why ditch Virgin at £10m a year, for Wonga at £8m including naming rights?

Apparently Wonga's net worth is only £46m, so I seriously doubt they'd have the finances to pay us anything near what Virgin were offering.  It just doesn't add up.

I think we're most likely in talks with someone else and the Telegraph are wide of the mark.

Or is it just a nicely timed article just before an important home game in an attempt to rock the boat?

Guest Craig-NUFC

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes

Said a few days ago that I was told stadium renaming NOT part of new #Nufc sponsorship package. That remains my understanding.

George Caulkin @CaulkinTheTimes

In other words, while Wonga might be new shirt sponsors - no official confirmation on that yet - they won't be sponsoring the #Nufc ground.

I've always been proud of our sponsors, northern pride and all that. Seems disgusting to go straight to a company that basically preys on economically deprived areas (such as the north) immediately.

Stinks of desperation, too.

Ashley having Sports Direct plastered all over St James' is an advertising wet dream because the whole world as well as the country gets to see his brand. I can't see him giving that up easily because financially he probably stands to make more keeping his Sports Direct stuff in place. That seems to add up if as Culkin says Wonga is for the shirt sponsorship only.

Ashley having Sports Direct plastered all over St James' is an advertising wet dream because the whole world as well as the country gets to see his brand. I can't see him giving that up easily because financially he probably stands to make more keeping his Sports Direct stuff in place. That seems to add up if as Culkin says Wonga is for the shirt sponsorship only.

True. As many said at the time, they never intended on selling the stadium rights on. It was just PR lies to keep quiet the thicker more gullible fans.

I don't want our club associated with companies like this - glorified loan sharks that prey on low income/high debt individuals and families.

This will be a genuine disappointment IF true. Sports Direct is one thing, but Wonga?

Surely a football club should ethically choose a corporate partner that reflects the mindset of the club and it's general intentions, at least to a point. Surely they must understand that money should not be the sole driver as such a partnership immediately makes us a laughing stock once again.

Here's hoping it's not true

It could actually be argued that Sports Direct's business model is far more reprehensible than that of Wonga, involving exploitation of workers in chronic poverty but that doesn't stop people loading up on their cheap tracky b's.

Any connection between morality and football was broken some time ago, Wonga's dubious practices are just a little more transparent than some - take for example the Middle Eastern companies who are flooding stupid amounts of cash into the game these days - some of the human rights they trample on a daily basis are almost beyond belief.

True enough. :sadnod:

I don't want our club associated with companies like this - glorified loan sharks that prey on low income/high debt individuals and families.

This will be a genuine disappointment IF true. Sports Direct is one thing, but Wonga?

Surely a football club should ethically choose a corporate partner that reflects the mindset of the club and it's general intentions, at least to a point. Surely they must understand that money should not be the sole driver as such a partnership immediately makes us a laughing stock once again.

Here's hoping it's not true

It could actually be argued that Sports Direct's business model is far more reprehensible than that of Wonga, involving exploitation of workers in chronic poverty but that doesn't stop people loading up on their cheap tracky b's.

Any connection between morality and football was broken some time ago, Wonga's dubious practices are just a little more transparent than some - take for example the Middle Eastern companies who are flooding stupid amounts of cash into the game these days - some of the human rights they trample on a daily basis are almost beyond belief.

How do companies trample on human rights?

With Wonga being on watchdog lately for taking money out of bank accounts of people that don't even have loans with them as well as many other shady/back hand tactics I would hope that we haven't ditched virgin money for this.

but this is the fat controller we're talking about

I seriously wouldnt be surprised if it was sports direct.com or another of his companies

having sports direct.com on the roof of the stadium so it can be seen on google earth and when helicopters and that fly past is just  :facepalm:

Decka wants £10m for stadium sponsorship per season

We have existing deal for £10m per season for our shirt sponsorship

Mid table Premiership clubs are now signing £20m per season shirt sponsorship deals.

We take an early exit out of our £10m per season shirt sponsorship, sell that deal bundled with stadium sponsorship deal (worth a total of £20m-£30m) for £8m.

Yeah fucking right.

Has that actually been confirmed btw?  ???

It is actually 7.5 + add ons the Virgin deal.