The other myth.

Benwell Lad

Comparing David Luiz/Alex/Ivanovic (whichever isn't playing) to James Perch is genuinely insulting, imo. :lol:

Well, you've picked their second, third and fourth centre backs and pitted them against our fifth choice (possibly sixth - if rumours re: Santon are to be believed!).

That's by the by though. It's more about defending as a unit - even though their personnel on paper may be better than ours. They were absolutely diabolical (and I don't step on Hansen's toes lightly) when they had an injury or two at the back last season. Their first choice centre backs aren't too fantastic either anymore. It's not as big a mismatch as your quote intimates.

I pciekd out fit centrebacks who can currently come in and cover (as you had mentioned). Our third choice is James Perch (currently). Theirs is one of those three. They have much better depth than us at all positions. Every single position. However, their side is in disarray and chaos, and results reflect that. I am not initimating that they are playing well as a team ( or that NUFC aren't), I was just refuting the idea that our depth is comparable to the teams around us in the table. They have internationals to cover for very position, ffs.

I pciekd out fit centrebacks who can currently come in and cover (as you had mentioned). Our third choice is James Perch (currently). Theirs is one of those three. They have much better depth than us at all positions. Every single position. However, their side is in disarray and chaos, and results reflect that. I am not initimating that they are playing well as a team ( or that NUFC aren't), I was just refuting the idea that our depth is comparable to the teams around us in the table. They have internationals to cover for very position, ffs.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would compare our squad to Chelsea, Man city, Man Utd or Spurs, or claim it would be good enough to cope with European  as well as domestic competition.

It's probably as good as any other team's squad who are not currently playing in Europe.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would compare our squad to Chelsea, Man city, Man Utd or Spurs, or claim it would be good enough to cope with European  as well as domestic competition.

It's probably as good as any other team's squad who are not currently playing in Europe.

James Perch is our third-choice CB at the moment, but that's because we already have two CBs injured (Kadar and Williamson). You could argue it would be very unlucky to have 3 or 4 CBs injured at the same time, and that we could never have a squad good enough to handle that unless we were regularly in the top 4/5.

Slightly off topic, but it is worth mentioning that Alan Smith's contract expiry in June will free up wages for at least 4 "squad" players.

I know this ignores transfer fees, but the way that the current regime is operating, I can't see significant transfer fees being expended to boost the squad in any event - it will be overall wages that will determine the size of our playing squad.

We are a central defender and a left back short, otherwise we are probably well enough covered in other areas. A striker would be nice as well though. We are going to miss Ba if he gets injured judging from that display today.

Guest Wally_McFool

We haven't beaten any of the six around or above us.

We haven't been beaten by anyone below sixth either - (yet. )

cant believe benwell lad's ruined our season ffs

Aye, it has somewhat taken a turn for the worse over the weekend  :blush:

Having all 3 senior central defenders knackered is pretty calamatous and I reckon Saturday's referee has a lot to answer for rather than just fate.

I will stick by the original point that although no where near a champions league squad we did start the season with as much quality in reserve as any other non-European side and as much as we had in our better teams of years gone by - which was the point, I certainly wasn't saying that we could breeze through a period without our 3 senior centre halfs.

Anyway the misfortune we have suffered gives the wrist slitters an opportunity to get back on the board for a bit of long overdue moaning.