Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Please get rid. In an ideal world it would be to scrap using PGMOL but since we can’t shift them, scrap VAR. 

It’s communicated horrendously in the ground, takes far too long and makes far too many mistakes still. They’ve had years to get it right and it is seemingly getting worse. 

8 minutes ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

Regarding offsides automating it like in Qatar/CL would speed it right up.

It's the subjective decisions that change from ref to ref (or week to week in some cases) that are the issue.

They need to stop this extra 18 minutes of added time malarkey - no wonder players are getting ACLs weekly - their knees must be buckled.

A lot of the time wasting does seem to come from the drawing of those ridiculous lines. And some of the most painful decisions would be ruling out goals wrongly for offside.

Yeah, if they implement automated off sides that would definitely be a huge step.

I suppose then, the other stuff probably could be done without.

Automated goaline and offsides and perhaps live with the rest, could be fine.

Posted (edited)

For me the biggest issues are offside and hand balls. One takes too long and uses an ineffective and pedantic looking method, the other too broadly open to interpretation.

Offsides are a yes or no, so bringing in the system used in the World Cup and Champions League hopefully moves them into the realm of goal line technology where they're universally accepted and almost taken for granted.

Hand balls need to go back to interpretation of intent in all cases, including when scoring goals. It won't be perfect, but it'll be better than what we have now.

Fix them and imo you remove a huge part of the problem with VAR.

Edited by Kid Icarus

There's absolutely nothing wrong with VAR, the technology works fine. The problem is how it's used, combined with the even bigger issue of interpretation of over-complicated rules by the officials.

4 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with VAR, the technology works fine. The problem is how it's used, combined with the even bigger issue of interpretation of over-complicated rules by the officials.

Which you’ll never be able to change or improve to a degree that it’s worth taking the joy from football. So why keep it. Just get TV companies to scrutinise player performances rather than every single decision when most are subjective.

Two things are true here:

1) the current implementation of VAR is a disaster for a multitude of reasons

2) going back to a world where there's no recourse for blatantly wrong decisions would be incredibly shortsighted

Posted (edited)

Fuck VAR. Far more poor decisions made BECAUSE of it.

The precision with which they try to measure the offside rule is dogshit. If it takes 5 mins of zoomed in slo mo replays to assess the lines, then it was so close that the attacker got fuck all advantage anyhow

I’d lob VAR in the bin like Super Ted in the toy factory 

Edited by bobbydazzla

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm pro VAR but the argument about it being human error that's the problem not VAR makes no sense.

There's no non-human VAR. :lol:

There is if you only use it for fact - offside.

There’s also an argument that if the Referee is unsighted they could ask VAR for a view but that’d be messy. Blatant incorrect decisions should have a mechanism to be corrected.

fine get rid of VAR but only if you get rid of the rules that prevent managers and players from excoriating refs post-game as well.

it's insane to me that someone can give away shit pens and handballs but if you call them a braindead dickhead on national television it's you who gets fined.

I don't believe anyone can watch a game of football and find it more enjoyable with VAR than without, and that's the crux of the issue really. There are so many issues with it that stand in the way of spectacle - not being able to celebrate goals, play being stopped for minutes on end while they go to the far end of a fart to try to find a reason to overturn something, and most importantly, blatantly incorrect decisions still being made at the end of it all anyway.

The human elements will never be removed for the majority of decisions. I'd rather the human element just be "referee or linesman fuck up", at least then you can say "well they only seen it once". It's far more annoying when they still fuck up having watched an incident 99 times over, which seems to happen not just every week, but multiple times a week. 

Things like the pantomime of sending the ref to the screen, and the shit in-stadium communication make it even worse. 

If automated offside is fast and works well, then use that. Everything else, put in the bin. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't believe anyone can watch a game of football and find it more enjoyable with VAR than without, and that's the crux of the issue really. There are so many issues with it that stand in the way of spectacle - not being able to celebrate goals, play being stopped for minutes on end while they go to the far end of a fart to try to find a reason to overturn something, and most importantly, blatantly incorrect decisions still being made at the end of it all anyway.

The human elements will never be removed for the majority of decisions. I'd rather the human element just be "referee or linesman fuck up", at least then you can say "well they only seen it once". It's far more annoying when they still fuck up having watched an incident 99 times over. 

Things like the pantomime of sending the ref to the screen, and the shit in-stadium communication make it even worse. 

If automated offside is fast and works well, then use that. Everything else, put in the bin. 

As a neutral definitely, but I find it more enjoyable when Newcastle aren't shafted by a shit decision because VAR comes to the rescue. It's not perfect, when wrong decisions are still made with VAR it's even worse, but it does feel rarer.

Posted (edited)

almost want them to scrap VAR just to see the reactions of some of the people on here who are so opposed to it when we conceede yet another incorrectly judged offside, or a blatant handball leading to goal against us.

VAR isn't the issue. It's a really good tool used by cunts and imbeciles.

Edited by Conjo

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

As a neutral definitely, but I find it more enjoyable when Newcastle aren't shafted by a shit decision because VAR comes to the rescue. It's not perfect, when wrong decisions are still made with VAR it's even worse, but it does feel rarer.

See it feels the opposite to me, I feel like there's a dodgy decision almost every single game of football I watch. Aye it's nice when it goes in your favour, but even then I'm not sure it's worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It always will be though, that's the problem. The same people are still making the decisions and getting them wrong, they're just taking longer over it and being more aggressive with it than if it was a single ref. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

See it feels the opposite to me, I feel like there's a dodgy decision almost every single game of football I watch. Aye it's nice when it goes in your favour, but even then I'm not sure it's worth it. 

Just in general or through VAR?

Just now, Andy said:

The same people are still making the decisions and getting them wrong

I have no statistics to back this claim up, but I am certain the number of incorrect decisions without and with VAR aren't even remotely comparable.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

almost want them to scrap VAR just to see the reactions of some of the people on here who are so opposed to it when we conceede yet another incorrectly judged offside, or a blatant handball leading to goal against us.

I would be wishing nothing but misfortune on the linesman at fault, I won’t lie. But I will understand it.

I cannot and will not forgive that baldy, thumb headed cunt who gave the penalty against Tino. I get your point about the people operating it, but that will never change imo. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just in general or through VAR?

I feel like we complain about a VAR decision in our office almost daily. Refs make mistakes too of course, but for me football was fine like that for 30+ years of my life. Aye you got shafted every now and then, but now when it happens it feels almost deliberate due to how long it takes to still reach the decision that shafts us.