Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Stroud was annoying in a Neil Midgely style of "everyones come to see me". Watch when he gives the pen, how long it takes him, he's running towards the spot, keeps running waits for all eyes to be on him..........then gives it. Then if you get a chance watch him as he blows for the kick itself, he does like a lunge and point as he blows for the lick to be taken.

More Clive Thomas tbh. Midgely wasn't a bad ref at all.

Stroud was annoying in a Neil Midgely style of "everyones come to see me". Watch when he gives the pen, how long it takes him, he's running towards the spot, keeps running waits for all eyes to be on him..........then gives it. Then if you get a chance watch him as he blows for the kick itself, he does like a lunge and point as he blows for the lick to be taken.

:carverlick:

Would have been a replay starting with a retaken pen if we hadn't won this like.  There would have been hell on.

Nope

Why "nope"?

Sky Sports are showing that there has been a precedent in this, where England ladies had to go down this route.

It just wouldn't happen, it wouldn't even happen if it had been awarded against Chelsea.

Keith Downie off Sky said it was in the laws of the game to be able to force a replay and because of the amount of cash difference there is between this league and the Premier, you just know that the full legal route will have been examined by Messrs Ashley and co.  Luckily for everyone concerned, the right result panned out and little damage done in theory.

Guest firetotheworks

Would have been a replay starting with a retaken pen if we hadn't won this like.  There would have been hell on.

Nope

Why "nope"?

Sky Sports are showing that there has been a precedent in this, where England ladies had to go down this route.

It just wouldn't happen, it wouldn't even happen if it had been awarded against Chelsea.

...And yet it happened in a women's, U-19s, international match. [emoji38]

That's not what happened though. He had no intention of giving a pen until the linesman flagged.

When did encroaching during penalties stop being a reason to retake it?

Really bugs me how refs never enforce this, this was Burton's penalty against Wolves at the weekend. The keeper saves the penalty and one of the players who has encroached then clears the ball.

What is the ref looking at there? What is he doing?

image.jpg

That's Keith Stroud as well isn't it?

You could tell the ref was going to be annoying last night the way he wanted every throw in to be taken to the exact inch where the ball went out and no leeway.  Didn't think he'd be that bad though

That's not what happened though. He had no intention of giving a pen until the linesman flagged.

Oooh I'm not sure about that. Why would he continue runninginto the box ? My personal view is he knew all eyes in the stadium were on him  at that very instant and he milked it for all it was worth.

fwiw aswell, I didn't know till checking at half time that rule about an indirect free kick being awarded for an attacking teams encroachment if they miss the penalty and neither did anyone else I spoke to.

Absolute howler from this bloke, in fact from the whole officiating team. Compounded by Stroud's egotism in refusing to be corrected when shown the laws of the game by our staff and probably a dash of enjoying being the centre of attention at a big stadium.

Needless to say he is not fit to referee again in the professional game, however I'd accept it was essentially an honest mistake. Still not nearly as bad as that Steve Martin from Forest- he was just out-and-out cheating.

fwiw aswell, I didn't know till checking at half time that rule about an indirect free kick being awarded for an attacking teams encroachment if they miss the penalty and neither did anyone else I spoke to.

Me neither. Thought it would also be a retake but when encroachment happens its usually players from both teams which is a retake as we know.

"video replay review!" they cried

Down with this sort of thing.

You see, Deuce, errors don't need corrected or reviewed immediately. They're there to be enjoyed. Cherished. Savoured.  Had we not won, had that colossal fuck up resulted in a draw or loss, it would have been a victory for the human element - nay, all of humanity. The X factor of mankind, gorgeous and terrible and flawed as it is, it's that unpredictability that makes the sport truly great. That makes life worth living.

And you want to take it away? Monster.

You see, Deuce, errors don't need corrected or reviewed immediately. They're there to be enjoyed. Cherished. Savoured.  Had we not won, had that colossal fuck up resulted in a draw or loss, it would have been a victory for the human element - nay, all of humanity. The X factor of mankind, gorgeous and terrible and flawed as it is, it's that unpredictability that makes the sport truly great. That makes life worth living.

.... but he saw exactly what happened, he just didn't know the rule. Or does he get a video review of the rule book?

.... but he saw exactly what happened, he just didn't know the rule. Or does he get a video review of the rule book?

It's a broader point about any kind of immediate off-field review. Granted, the possibility exists someone in the booth could get it wrong too. But that's where the robots come in.

I mean, robot referees I could get behind, but this isn't a "broader point", it's a shoehorned attempt at banging on about video replays again.

You've gotten my post spectacularly wrong if that's your reading. I don't know how to help you.