Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

4 hours ago, Decky said:

Some really bad refereeing over the weekend there but just seen this again on Reddit. :lol: How on Earth has the referee given a free here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1g848o1/darwin_nunez_and_arne_slot_after_liverpool_were/

The one where Jota is about to be clean through and they give a foul for Reece James’ delayed dive was nearly as bad as anything I saw in our game. 

1 minute ago, Likelylad said:

Our refs are poor across most games. Obviously the big errors get the headlines but the overall general performances are woeful for what is a billion pound product. 

Could more money be invested in it? Pay them more? Better training? 

Not sure what the answer is. As it is a really tough job and think they get undeserved shit a lot of the time. But VAR hasn’t helped. 

I feel like they’re being undermined for grey area decisions. Plus they also seem to be reluctant to give certain decisions and then can’t wait to go overboard for others. It’s like the fact they have VAR there as a backup plays on their mind subconsciously. 

Can’t go back now. But I wish we could. I think we’d all accept these fag paper offsides, handball and borderline penalty/red card decisions a lot easier. I know I would. 

If VAR worked like it should they could play on and the ref could give the foul later if necessary. All this ’respect the original call’, high threshold to intervene and having two separate referees (on-pitch and VAR) means no one knows anymore when VAR should intervene and 99% of the time everything depends on the original call. Which is hilarious considering the reason VAR even exists.

Edited by Pata

How have I logged in and had to go to the second page to find this thread? :lol:

This unfit clown thought the foul on Bruno was not only not a red card, but not a free kick, and then thought the tickle on Nkunku was a penalty.

Absolutely shite throughout as well. Godawful 

24 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

How have I logged in and had to go to the second page to find this thread? :lol:

This unfit clown thought the foul on Bruno was not only not a red card, but not a free kick, and then thought the tickle on Nkunku was a penalty.

Absolutely shite throughout as well. Godawful 

He was garbage but at least he was semi-consistent with his 'anything goes' decision-making until the Nkunku penalty. VAR did really well to take it away, there was contact so would have been easy to just hide behind that and do nothing.

51 minutes ago, Pata said:

He was garbage but at least he was semi-consistent with his 'anything goes' decision-making until the Nkunku penalty. VAR did really well to take it away, there was contact so would have been easy to just hide behind that and do nothing.

Have begrudgingly felt VAR has been decent in it's last few games for us apart from the non intervention for the penalty in the Brighton game. 

1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

VAR official with his Fantasy Team open while checking Palmer's goal 

That’s the premier league app and looks like the score page ? 

The ref was atrocious. Flipped between giving every niggly foul to letting everything go no matter how blatant at the drop of a hat.

Like the same challenge 30 seconds apart. One would be a foul. The other play on :lol: 

His interpretation of advantage and when he was calling things back or not. The players genuinely seemed confused about what he was giving or not giving most the game. 

Pete on Loaded Mag went off about the ref for a good few minutes and thought it was the worst refereeing performance he can remember.

I wouldn't go that far but I was really taken aback when I came on here and this thread not only wasn't top but was on the second page. I thought he was absolutely shocking.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pete on Loaded Mag went off about the ref for a good few minutes and thought it was the worst refereeing performance he can remember.

I wouldn't go that far but I was really taken aback when I came on here and this thread not only wasn't top but was on the second page. I thought he was absolutely shocking.

When a player hacks someone to the ground, frantically turns to the ref and goes "it was outside the box! it was outside the box!" and your conclusion is "i'm sure nothing untoward occurred there, play on" then it's time to consider if you're in the right profession.

He was shocking. To just totally ignore the blatant foul on Bruno is shocking. It’s a foul, there’s no debate. He IS getting to the ball. He’s not even given a free kick. Then to give Chelsea a pen without barely a second of hesitation to only then be told by his mates that he’s got it totally wrong. Very strange and suspicious performance from him. He lost control. 

17 hours ago, Cf said:

Have begrudgingly felt VAR has been decent in it's last few games for us apart from the non intervention for the penalty in the Brighton game. 

Lately it has been the actual referees on the pitch who has had shockers..

Just now, Erikse said:

Lately it has been the actual referees on the pitch who has had shockers..

That's logical if you think about it, that's why we have VAR :lol:

The biggest improvement they could make would be to ignore the referee's decision. 

I thought the ref against Brighton was even worse. Atleast this ref gave a soft decision or two our way. The ref against Brighton kept giving them freekicks for diving, and gave them a goalkick when literally everyone was preparing for a corner.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The biggest improvement they could make would be to ignore the referee's decision. 

Yeah true, but ofcourse VAR can't intervene in most cases. I just mean that the onfield refs has been extra bad, even more than usual.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Erikse said:

I thought the ref against Brighton was even worse. Atleast this ref gave a soft decision or two our way. The ref against Brighton kept giving them freekicks for diving, and gave them a goalkick when everyone was preparing for a corner.

Brighton was the worst refereeing display I've seen for a long time. Like I said, I usually try to ignore referees because I realise I'm biased, but he was dire. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Brighton was the worst refereeing display I've seen for a long time. Like I said, I usually try to ignore referees because I realise I'm biased, but he was dire. 

Agree, I rarely comment on the ref myself. But that game I was actually upset. It was incredibly one sided.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That penalty decision underlines the problem with refereeing and VAR.  Even after VAR intervened and had the ref rewatch the incident, the referee could have simply decided that they were in the right to award the penalty and there's nothing that VAR or anyone else could have done to stop them.

Give VAR equal powers to the referee and allow them to intervene for any decision, even when a blatant foul isn't inside the box and half the issues with refereeing would stop.  Allow them to tell the referee to give a yellow card for a dive as well while we're at it.

I was against team challenges like in American sports, because I think the aim should be to get every decision right and not just a few. But at least if coaches could challenge they could force the issue in the most important situations. 

Generally my approach to VAR would be more like a second referee with a better view, who constantly advises the on-field ref because he can see better. This idea of protecting the decisions of the on-field ref seems archaic to me - who cares as long as the decision is right?