Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I said red in real time and I definitely thought it was seeing the first few replays. I was surprised that VAR told Pawson to look at it and send him off, though. 

I feel like players get away with those ones quite a lot. Last one that was kind of similar that I remember was Xhaka. But his was less forceful, but from behind. 

It's one of those that should be a red but is rarely given.Consistency is a massive issue. If that's Shelvey or Hayden, that's an on field red - it wouldn't even go to VAR. The narrative would be that they've let everyone down. Fans of top 6 clubs wouldn't bat an eyelid at getting a decision like this. I doubt many Chelsea fans are still talking about our robbery, which was 10 times more legitimate than Everton's complaints. It's just so unusual to see us on the right end of one of these. Shame the team failed to take advantage.

Edited by ohmelads

22 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Also tactical fouls result in less goals in football. The transition and athleticism of players these days means a good tactical fouls can save a team several points per season. I would like all tackles where there is zero intent to win the ball to be a red card or specifically, "tactical" fouls becoming red cards. They only happen when there's a good (but not yet materialised) chance of a clear-cut opportunity. But as it stands if it's tactical/cynical + reckless it should be a red.

The 1986 World Cup was pretty much ruined by the 'professional foul'. Uruguay's games hardly featured any actual play at all - they were just an endless succession of free kicks. A Scots player went off injured when he was hacked down by a Dane as he broke across the half way line. The Danish player said afterwards, 'If I hadn't fouled him I'd have been an amateur, not a professional'.

Subsequently, FIFA issued an instruction that any foul which the referee deemed blatant cheating should be punished with a red card no matter where on the pitch it was committed, in an attempt to stamp out the 'professional foul'. That was trips, shirt pulls, everything.

The problem was the refs bottled it. Most famous example was Koeman pulling back Platt in the WC qualifier. He should have been sent off, wasn't, then scored from a free kick. That was the incident when Graham Taylor said the ref had just cost him his job.

There was another qualifier against Finland - I think Bobby was manager. Someone went round the keeper who had come out of his area. The keeper grabbed his ankle and held him back, thus preventing a certain goal. He wasn't sent off.

So the whole effort failed because a generation of refs didn't have the balls to implement the instruction.

So we ended up with 'denying a goalscoring opportunity' while the 'professional foul' is still rife, only now it's known as 'a good yellow'.

IMO all blatant cheating should be ruthlessly stamped out. Completely ruins the game for me 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Pre-VAR that’d been given as a penalty all day long. Refs don’t make decisions these days - relying on a technology to prove them wrong when the onus is to not do so.

Farcical.

He'd have given the penalty to Salah (for example) and it wouldn't have been overturned. 

28 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Someone said a few weeks ago that that the officials don't give decisions against the big teams so the var won't overturn them. Absolutely concrete proof tonight. 

Yeah that was me

My big issue with VAR is that for the big teams the refs tend to give the 50:50 calls in favour of them and then wait for VAR to overturn. We had three incidents in the game that had he given us the decision VAR would not have overturned.

Frustrating as hell how weak officials can influence games via a 'loophole' in the VAR process

Just no incentive for them to go out on a limb against a top team when the potential negative attention would potentially hinder their career progression, might as well bottle it and pass the buck onto VAR

Edited by geordie_b

19 minutes ago, Sima said:

Expected to continue as a full-time VAR official.

Happy fucking days :anguish:

Fucking disgrace isn’t?

This will be where they introduce camera’s in the VAR room, guy won’t be able to help himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Praise where it’s due that was one of the best refereeing performances I’ve seen in a long while. Was sensible, fair and got all the big calls right.

Felt weird not having to worry about the ref making the wrong decision.

Only criticism I had was he should’ve brought it back and booked the Wolves player in the first half who pulled ASM back when he played advantage.

Other than that he did well.

• 2 weeks later...

Says something about how shite the officiating standard is that I think it needs highlighting, but thought the ref had a decent game today, seemed in control, and allowed the game to flow.

Even our first, I can understand why he originally gave it as a foul, and thought the whole VAR process worked correctly and as it should be used.

Just now, 54 said:

Says something about how shite the officiating standard is that I think it needs highlighting, but thought the ref had a decent game today, seemed in control, and allowed the game to flow.

Even our first, I can understand why he originally gave it as a foul, and thought the whole VAR process worked correctly and as it should be used.

Aye he was canny. Although I thought we should have had a penalty for Soyuncu's lunge on Wood. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, 54 said:

He was a bit of homer mind, lots of 50 50 went to us apart from the goal which was weird.  Var worked correctly for once.

Quietly impressed with the ref today, lots of niggly little fouls that I hate but the ref always gives. Did well overall though, honest enough to admit he go it wrong with the first goal too, that's a good thing, nothing wrong with admitting you got it wrong and changing it. 

I'd have said exactly the same had the game fizzled out into a draw too, not just saying this because we won.