Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

The entire team was atrocious in that first half and we didn't even have the ball enough to be criticizing what one of our flair players was doing. I missed the first ten mins but if you'd told me at half time that Guthrie had gone off after five, I wouldn't have questioned it.

The entire team was atrocious in that first half and we didn't even have the ball enough to be criticizing what one of our flair players was doing. I missed the first ten mins but if you'd told me at half time that Guthrie had gone off after five, I wouldn't have questioned it.

Spot on.

(Obviously he sometimes holds onto the ball "too long", but that's just the minor downside to how he plays. Other players give the ball away a lot more, just in more acceptable ways).

This x1000

Because Pardew can't see him as a winger in an orthodox 4-4-2, he's often used as the makeweight sub or makeweight non-starter in the XI.  It highlights his mistakes more than others.  Simpson has made mistake after mistake but since he's the only trusted RB, he simply has to play.  Raylor, too, but because he's "versatile" and can cross, his shocking games get overlooked by Pards.  Pardew's yet to believe in HBA to that degree.  Hopefully he will see the value when there is genuine mobility upfront.

You saying he played last night?  :undecided:

He was one of our best players, so yes.

Covered shitloads of ground yesterday.

Some part of me thinks it's encouraging to see Pardew changing the system to accomodate Ben Arfa, even though i think that without Ba, Tiote and Cisse we haven't a hope of currently fielding an effective 4-5-1.

Another part of me can't come to terms with the idea that he has such a lack of trust in Ben Arfa to play wide in a 4-4-2 that he'd force the rest of the team into an unsuitable formation to try and protect him. It's not like Obertan is a fucking defensive colossus or something. :lol:

Sounds like he was shite yesterday though, will be benched for Sunday I imagine.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

There really is huge expectation when he picks up the ball, even from the players around him. He always was inconsistent in his decision making but in the long run if he's allowed to play and with players that are not Ameobi and Best up top he'll do much more good than bad.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Sessegnon at the moment is a bit more refined and quicker over distance. I think Ben Arfa is a lot better at his best.

Ben Arfa was average yesterday BUT he was not the worst player, that honour belongs to Shola

Also I did not see a great deal of improvement with us after Perch came on, I thought we were still crap. It was only in the last few minutes when they were leaving gaps that we went forward with intent, aside from that it was not much different from the 1st half

Hard to argue against Sessegnon this season. He's been very good (albeit in fits and starts), the last 5 games he's looked excellent. He's got the benefit of a system being completely revolved around him mind, a manager that can see the benefits of his creative talent and has rightly put his faith in it. Hatem's not quite had that yet, which is a shame.

He could do worse than watch Modric in action. He's not the greatest defensively, but he doesn't hang on to the ball too long, he reads situations very quickly, he works hard and consistently, and he uses his skill just as much to open opportunities for team-mates as to create something for himself. Ben Arfa still plays like an 18 year old who has just broken into the first team, trying to do too much on his own.

I can see your point but Spurs have a lot more movement around Modric which makes it a lot easier for Modric to release the ball earlier. Until we see Ben Arfa with better players around him it's hard to draw any real conclusions how much of it is his fault and how much down to too many substandard footballers in the first 11.

man of the Match in todays Daily Mirror.

man of the Match in todays Daily Mirror.

Doesn't suprise me, Newspapers rarely get the ratings correct unless the game is televised, laughable half of the time. The Sun give Colocinni a 5 out of 10...same rating as Shola.

Thought Guthrie worked hard but didn't offer enough of a threat to blackburn in keeping possesion and dictating the pace of the game, missed Cabaye.

Ben Arfa is better in his prime. Not really fair to Ben Arfa to compare them now.

Sessegnon has certainly been better this season.  Think I'm right in saying he is nowhere near as highly rated in France though?  HBA is more talented IMO.

Oh, did Sess have ayear out through a leg break and ankle ligament injury as well?

Guest mimifrench

Are you really comparing Ben arfa and Sessegnon??

Please... I thought you had a better knowledge of football than the Sunderland fans...

Please... I thought you had a better knowledge of football than the Sunderland fans...

Over the last few games Sess has produced more

I'm sure that will change for Benny when he has something decent in front of him.

Guest mimifrench

Over the last few games Sess has produced more

I'm sure that will change for Benny when he has something decent in front of him.

Ok, but when Sessegnon joined Sunderland?

Did he have a broken leg? Then missed the pre-season?

Fortunately for him he's producing something now!

Trust me, I've seen him play a lot (with PSG), he's nowhere near as good as Ben arfa. It's even quite an insult for Ben arfa to be compared to that player...