Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I think you basically have to fit the team around him. He hasn't really convinced as a No10 playing off a central striker, and when he's out wide he tends to drop deep rather get forward on the end of balls.

Forward apex of a midfield diamond may be best, but then all the others have to fit in around that.

We all know why that is, "Hatem, get back."

To be fair, the wonderful chap in your avatar told a far more effective wide player to do the same. You can't just allow your FB to get continually exposed.

The wonderful chap in my avatar has nothing to do with Ben Arfa dropping deep so I have no idea why you've brought him into it. It was suggested that Ben Arfa plays too deep so I pointed out why he does it, was I wrong?

I think you basically have to fit the team around him. He hasn't really convinced as a No10 playing off a central striker, and when he's out wide he tends to drop deep rather get forward on the end of balls.

Forward apex of a midfield diamond may be best, but then all the others have to fit in around that.

We all know why that is, "Hatem, get back."

To be fair, the wonderful chap in your avatar told a far more effective wide player to do the same. You can't just allow your FB to get continually exposed.

Spot on.  See also recent articles re Robben and Ribery.

Monaco ready to pay whatever we want apparently.

According to the Daily Star.

It'll be more than them soon. If we can take them to the cleaners and get £25m it would be a brilliant bit of business.

Monaco ready to pay whatever we want apparently.

According to the Daily Star.

It'll be more than them soon. If we can take them to the cleaners and get £25m it would be a brilliant bit of business.

We wouldn't replace him, so I don't think it would be good at all.

I'd rather not sell him at all. Sure, he's been injured a lot and can be inconsistent but he's the kind of player that I want to go and watch. Particularly when our team is so frequently set up defensively. He's our most naturally talented and creative footballer and they don't grow on trees.

I hate Monaco.

Got to look at the players they've wanted and just ripped away from bigger clubs than us, if they want him then all we can do is ask for daft money and I know we will do just that.

Monaco and their cash is Ashley's wet dream. If he can get daft money for hba, you'll see us offering Cabaye, sissoko, Debuchy etc in the same manner.

Do people honestly think if Monaco want hba the player himself wouldn't want the move? It's mental cash, they can afford to pay him twice what we do and not have to pay 50% tax, x4 pay rise then, to go back home and live in Monaco instead of newcastle. If they want him, he's gone. The lad is back in France whenever he gets the chance.

he's the kind of player that I want to go and watch. Particularly when our team is so frequently set up defensively. He's our most naturally talented and creative footballer and they don't grow on trees.

All true. Tired of being reminded of it in this thread as opposed to when I'm watching us play, though.

saddens me to say it but he might be best gone and replaced with someone more suited to pardew's game, same for marveuax

agree with TT, if we could fleece monaco all the better....it'll be a sad day but we should cut our cloth accoring to the fuckwit we've got in charge perhaps

If they want him he is theirs, simple. Looks like we should get a fair chunk of change for him though.

Absolutely gutting if we lose him, while I am sure we would invest the money in a few exciting players I can't see us getting someone with his ability, they are too far out of our reach and too few. Hatem has some injury issues and is turning into a world class version of Kieron Dyer a little bit. Tough call, I am sure he would jump at the move though.

I love Ben Arfa. He's what you want as a football supporter. Wild imagination, creativity, insane goals and endless optimism everytime he's on the ball.

There aren't many like him. I'll be devastated when he goes, whenever that might be.

I'd flog him for £20m, like. Doesn't play enough, hardly ever match fit, often selfish. On his day, he's a world beater, but not convinced we're gonna see that often in a black and white shirt.

I would love a less injured version of Ben Arfa but if he never had injuries, he would never have come or still be here now! I would love to keep him but sign a Mcmanaman-type classic winger who would be happy to fill in for the half season HBA doesnt play :)

Guest icemanblue

He's our most talented player, and he's class to watch. If it can be avoided, he should never be sold. I don't think I'll ever understand the 'if we get a decent offer we should let him go' mentality when it comes to players like this. His pros far, far outweigh his cons.