Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Tricky decision, but I'd take £25m, providing Pardew can then re-invest the money in the squad.

Talented player of course, but at all his clubs, he's had problems in fitting in around a team pattern, and that's still not changed. Turning down the money is just as much a gamble as selling him.

Don't understand this thinking at all. The only compelling reason to sell him is his fitness record, and this is the first time he's fit going into pre-season and has a good chance of getting to top form.

Previously I'd seen him and Krul as our only untouchable players from the selling point of view. With HBA, he needs to develop more of a team mentality and not always try to win games on his own. Watching his comeback this season, I've lost a bit of faith that he's going to make that transition. He seemed to be making the same mistakes.

I mean, this is basically why he's playing for us and not Arsenal or Chelsea. He's got Eden Hazard's talent, but not his attitude or football brain.

I'd love to hang on to him, but no longer at any price.

See, I would say that he only decides to win games on his own when it's clear to him that he has to. Because his teammates are contributing too little. When we were playing well last season he was interchanging really well with everyone.

Obviously he will take people on and do things more than the average player, but that's why he's so brilliant.

Tricky decision, but I'd take £25m, providing Pardew can then re-invest the money in the squad.

Talented player of course, but at all his clubs, he's had problems in fitting in around a team pattern, and that's still not changed. Turning down the money is just as much a gamble as selling him.

Don't understand this thinking at all. The only compelling reason to sell him is his fitness record, and this is the first time he's fit going into pre-season and has a good chance of getting to top form.

Previously I'd seen him and Krul as our only untouchable players from the selling point of view. With HBA, he needs to develop more of a team mentality and not always try to win games on his own. Watching his comeback this season, I've lost a bit of faith that he's going to make that transition. He seemed to be making the same mistakes.

I mean, this is basically why he's playing for us and not Arsenal or Chelsea. He's got Eden Hazard's talent, but not his attitude or football brain.

See, I would say that he only decides to win games on his own when it's clear to him that he has to. Because his teammates are contributing too little. When we were playing well last season he was interchanging really well with everyone.

Obviously he will take people on and do things more than the average player, but that's why he's so brilliant.

I think this was a problem with his other clubs, not just us. He can't resist beating one more man instead of playing the percentages and releasing it.

While I hate to agree with Supermac, he does have a point. Whether you lose the ball after beating one man or beating four, the end result is the same.

I think this was a problem with his other clubs, not just us. He can't resist beating one more man instead of playing the percentages and releasing it.

While I hate to agree with Supermac, he does have a point. Whether you lose the ball after beating one man or beating four, the end result is the same.

Yeah, but you don't always lose the ball. On this issue, as so many others, Supermac is talking bollocks.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Advocating selling him for whatever amount is madness. Not surprised though. People have short memories.

Very short.

Yeah, but you don't always lose the ball. On this issue, as so many others, Supermac is talking bollocks.

No, of course not. Sometimes he does a Blackburn and goes through the entire defence. It's a matter of playing the percentages.

The situation I'm thinking of is where he gets past the midfield and exposes the opposition back four. Usually a defender has to commit and that leaves a team-mate in space. That's the time when it's better to release it. I seem to remember that happened twice against QPR.

There are other occasions where he beats a defender and gets to the by-line, and then tries to go even further instead of crossing. Great when it comes off, but not the wisest decision.

Don't get me wrong. I would only sell for a mad amount. But it looks possible that Monaco will do precisely that.

I would be willing to sell him tbh, looks fat as fuck and to inconsistent for us. Would like to see us with two proper wingers attacking and getting crosses in. He makes us narrow as he won't stick to the Right

I would be willing to sell him tbh, looks fat as fuck and to inconsistent for us. Would like to see us with two proper wingers attacking and getting crosses in. He makes us narrow as he won't stick to the Right

Like Obertan?

How many times has playing the percentages actually worked for us this season?

We're absolutely pathetic at attacking the ball.

is the right answer, we need to see him playing in a team where he has consistent attacking options before you can credibly accuse him of being selfish

I would be willing to sell him tbh, looks fat as f*** and to inconsistent for us. Would like to see us with two proper wingers attacking and getting crosses in. He makes us narrow as he won't stick to the Right

:(

I love his tekkers, but I just see to little end product from him and he does drift in far to much. We need someone to attack the wings if Pardew is in charge, or we need all players freely moving about in final third. It's annoying when we have just our fullback on the right with noone in front because Ben Arfa has drifted in. He doesn't make runs for balls to be played to him, generally just frustrating

Guest Haris Vuckic

I would be willing to sell him tbh, looks fat as f*** and to inconsistent for us. Would like to see us with two proper wingers attacking and getting crosses in. He makes us narrow as he won't stick to the Right

:(

I love his tekkers, but I just see to little end product from him and he does drift in far to much. We need someone to attack the wings if Pardew is in charge, or we need all players freely moving about in final third. It's annoying when we have just our fullback on the right with noone in front because Ben Arfa has drifted in. He doesn't make runs for balls to be played to him, generally just frustrating

GTFO

Like Obertan?

Hell no :) - I will clarify, someone with a bit of ball control when running with it, not afraid to take someone on, capable of crossing from byline, doesn't look ridiculous, doesn't resemble a light bulb, offers genuine width and is direct.

We need at least one of these on left or right. At moment we have zero width and crossing capabilities.

Give him good teammates and a good manager, then see if people would sell him.

He has 7 or 8 French, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Argentina, Dutch internationals around him, what more does he need?

He looked so unfit at back end of season and overweight, just generally had enough. Think he produces mint youtube clips but having watched every game he has played for us I don't see enough on a regular basis

I understand the Pardew stance, he can make anyone look poor.

However I do feel that Ben Arfa will never realise his potential.  He needs to play a full season for a start.

He has 7 or 8 French, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Argentina, Dutch internationals around him, what more does he need?

He looked so unfit at back end of season and overweight, just generally had enough. Think he produces mint youtube clips but having watched every game he has played for us I don't see enough on a regular basis

He needs them to stop admiring his play and actually move about, give him options. I swear most of the time Pardew's plan is "Give it to Hatem, wait for goal".

He needs them to stop admiring his play and actually move about, give him options. I swear most of the time Pardew's plan is "Give it to Hatem, wait for goal".

tell it brother :lol:

Oh I agree they need to move about and stuff, but since that's not Pardews mantra, I think direct wingers would serve a better purpose for us with that clown in charge. If someone offered 20 million for Ben Arfa I would snap their hands off (And i'm not mental or delusional), I just don't think he has ever fully realised his potential.