Jason Prior stretchered off with broken leg

JH

Guest Craig-NUFC

We're bringing in Jordan Botaka on trial too, so maybe they're trying to group together a bunch of trialists and make a week of it.

I don't believe you, there's no thread about it.

We always make threads about trialist players and deride the club for doing things "on the cheap".

But Cashley has £35m in his back pocket so we should be spending it!!!11one

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/08/newcastle-forward-thinking-on-transfer-targets-79310-30078907/2/

Meanwhile, non-league striker Jason Prior concludes his trial at Newcastle later this week – with the offer of a short-term contract dangling in front of him.

The Bognor Regis hitman will spend a total of 10 days at United’s Benton training base with Pardew himself set to make a personal check on the 23-year-old striker’s progress.

Bognor’s general manager Jack Pearce told the Sunday Sun: “He has been in Newcastle, I believe. He will be there for seven to 10 days, I think, and play in a practice match as well. He played for us on Monday and then we released him to make contact with Newcastle – but nothing has been sorted yet.

“He went with our good wishes and we’ll wait and see what happens.”

However, senior sources at United emphasised this week that Prior must prove himself exceptional to win a deal with Newcastle.

A fairytale rise it might be, but there is no room for sentiment at a club looking to become fixtures in the top six of the Premier League over the next three to four years.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/08/newcastle-forward-thinking-on-transfer-targets-79310-30078907/2/

Meanwhile, non-league striker Jason Prior concludes his trial at Newcastle later this week – with the offer of a short-term contract dangling in front of him.

The Bognor Regis hitman will spend a total of 10 days at United’s Benton training base with Pardew himself set to make a personal check on the 23-year-old striker’s progress.

Bognor’s general manager Jack Pearce told the Sunday Sun: “He has been in Newcastle, I believe. He will be there for seven to 10 days, I think, and play in a practice match as well. He played for us on Monday and then we released him to make contact with Newcastle – but nothing has been sorted yet.

However, senior sources at United emphasised this week that Prior must prove himself exceptional to win a deal with Newcastle.

A fairytale rise it might be, but there is no room for sentiment at a club looking to become fixtures in the top six of the Premier League over the next three to four years.

Henry and Scholes would suggest otherwise.

Henry and Scholes would suggest otherwise.

Man U and Arsenal aren't "looking to become" - they already are.  Henry and Scholes are luxuries they can afford, not least of all as dressing room figures instead of filling an immediate need of first team players to get them to that level.

If it's 16, 17, 18 year old kids getting taken on then nobody would raise an eyebrow.  The fact this lad is already 23 makes this one a bit different.

A Crystal Palace talent scout, Peter Prentice, happened to see Wright playing for Dulwich Hamlet and invited him to have a trial at Selhurst Park.[1] Having impressed then-manager Steve Coppell,[1] he signed professional terms for Crystal Palace in August 1985, just three months short of his 22nd birthday.

Guest WashyGeordie

Oh ok it's completely normal to take on a 23 year old from Bognor Regis Town.

Your going on as if he's 33.

Not quite recent, but Ian Wright was 22/23 when he was scouted and eventually signed pro for Palace.

Think about how much scouting has improved since then, and how many youngsters big clubs haul...its perfectly reasonable to call it weird nowadays like, in my opinion...

Not quite recent, but Ian Wright was 22/23 when he was scouted and eventually signed pro for Palace.

Think about how much scouting has improved since then, and how many youngsters big clubs haul...its perfectly reasonable to call it weird nowadays like, in my opinion...

Think about how many hundreds of kids go through much better standard of technical training between the ages of 7-16, only to find that they don't make the next step up for a variety of reasons (haven't finished growing, family issues, immaturity). It's more surprising that there aren't more non-league players who finally grow up after spending their youth at one of the 'bigger' clubs thinking they've made it - would definitely prefer that kind of character on the team [someone who has seen the errors of their ways and knows they need to make the most of their chance at being a professional athlete]