Our wingers

Interpolic

It feels to me that we've been playing an orthodox 4-4-2 for most of the season, with two out and out strikers that we try to hit early, two hard-working central midfield players and two wide players who will hopefully provide the strikers with crosses and also help out the full backs a lot to negate the risk of being overrun in midfield. There were indications at the start of the season that Pardew wanted to move to something more sophisticated, but all we've seen is the occasional 4-4-1-1, with Ben Arfa and now Vuckic in that No10 role. However, it's all looked a bit tentative and I'm not sure whether Pardew is not sufficiently committed to the changes, or whether we haven't got the players. Against Liverpool, we seemed to fall between two stools.

Ultimately, I thought we were going to see a 4-3-3, but that seems some way away.

I think Jonas faces an individual problem because after his good start, opponents are now ready for him. Those long legs of his don't operate too well when he's closed down early and deprived of time and space. He seems to be getting forced further and further back and becoming less and less effective.

I'd seriously give him a try at full back, where he has some experience. I reckon he can actually defend at least as well and probably better than Taylor or Simpson so there's no loss there. Full backs often have a bit more space to advance into in attack and that would suit him. He'd certainly be a better attacking threat than our current full backs, who I think are really holding the team back. We could also kill two birds with one stone, because if we move to a 4-3-3, it's important that we have full backs who enjoy getting forward.

So we'd end up with something like -

Ba

Ben Arfa Marveaux/Sammy/Cabaye

Guthrie Tiote Cabaye/Abeid/Vuckic

Santon Colo Willo Jonas

- which in terms of formation is what I think Pardew was aiming for. Either way our current system is looking more and more predictable. We're in a position to experiment because we look safe from relegation and the CL spots are out of our reach.

As for Obertan, unless he's prepared to play with a lot more heart, it doesn't matter what system we have.

Excuse the long post. Happy New Year.

Ben Arfa was brilliant on the left for Marseille. See no reason why we shouldn't play him there instead of Gutierrez.

I'd drop Obertan before I even considered dropping Jonas.

I'd like to see Gutierrez on the right, personally. Could be wrong, but believe that is where he used to play for Mallorca...

Ben Arfa was brilliant on the left for Marseille. See no reason why we shouldn't play him there instead of Gutierrez.

I'd like to see Gutierrez on the right, personally. Could be wrong, but believe that is where he used to play for Mallorca...

:thup:

:thup:

The ideal solution really.

Obertan -

Saw that his first shot on target for the entire season was away at Bolton. He never seems to be able to put a decent cross in either. I can see hes lightning fast at top speed but I don't think hes that quick over 5 yards and thats what counts really. Often has an extremely good first touch though - I can see why people might have thought there is a decent player in there in the past. However aside from his first touch I don't see any reason to think he'll progress, and hes had enough chances. I no longer believe this thing about it being "all in his head" - I have seen him running at fullbacks throwing his body left and right yet not going past them - he just doesn't have the talent to unbalance the defender or the surge of pace to go past them. Its not in his head its just a lack of ability imo.

Jonas -

Looks a shadow of the player who scored that goal at Wolves at the moment. Could be that hes a bit tired or it may just be that he was in the form of his life at the start of the season. He could use a decent fullback behind him though.

Santon left back, Ben Arfa left wing and allowed to drift into the middle, Jonas right wing, Vuckic behind Ba, Obertan on the bench to come on as the impact player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb16R_6nd15yd4bwT7B8GXfMcASBT2MSSNPjv4difr04KPhvi0

Santon left back, Ben Arfa left wing and allowed to drift into the middle, Jonas right wing, Vuckic behind Ba, Obertan on the bench to come on as the impact player.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb16R_6nd15yd4bwT7B8GXfMcASBT2MSSNPjv4difr04KPhvi0

This.

His stubbornness in his refusal to play ben arfa on the wing is infuriating. I would prefer if pardew could be more transparent, and give us some form of reasoning for his refusal to play him in the position. Whether it be a request on behalf of the lad, or a 'tactical ploy'...

Guest neesy111

His stubbornness in his refusal to play ben arfa on the wing is infuriating. I would prefer if pardew could be more transparent, and give us some form of reasoning for his refusal to play him in the position. Whether it be a request on behalf of the lad, or a 'tactical ploy'...

He's already said he doesn't see Ben Arfa as a winger.  Though the fact he's played Shola RW, really shows that Pardew is not tactically all cut out.

He's already said he doesn't see Ben Arfa as a winger.  Though the fact he's played Shola RW, really shows that Pardew is not tactically all cut out.

:lol: I know. He has even tried simpson there. I suppose there had to be a reason he has spent the majority of his managerial career in the lower leagues.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think having two right footers on the left flank is contributing to Jonas having less space to run.