Zambia win 2012 African Cup of Nations

TRC

Arshavin's first season was pretty good though, no? Or am I remembering wrong?

He was indeed good in the PL to begin with. Then for some reason, just went to s***.

It's a shame he's never been given him a run in the number 10 position really. The only times he's ever played centrally for them iirc was during that spell as a lone striker.

Arshavin's first season was pretty good though, no? Or am I remembering wrong?

the first half of that season he was a good call for player of the year.

That performance against Liverpool was something special (scored all 4 of Arsenal's goals too iirc).

Arshavin is a terrible example, btw. He was the best player in the Russian league, the best player in 2008 UEFA Cup, the best player in EURO 2008, and subsequently one of the best players in the world's best league when he arrived in England. He's lost form and aged, but he was not signed solely on the basis of his performance for Russia.

I thought Guivarch was pretty s**** in that WC?

Actually yeah, he wasn't that great during the World Cup. Guess that was a bad example then.

Pretty sure we'd agreed a deal to sign him before a ball was kicked in that World Cup.  Can remember watching helplessly as he scored no goals for the best national side on the planet.

Arshavin is a terrible example, btw. He was the best player in the Russian league, the best player in 2008 UEFA Cup, the best player in EURO 2008, and subsequently one of the best players in the world's best league when he arrived in England. He's lost form and aged, but he was not signed solely on the basis of his performance for Russia.

Yup. There was massive hype around him before Euro 08 thanks to his performances in the Uefa Cup especially. He was as good as everyone who had watched Zenit expected.

Oleg Salenko to Rangers after he scored 5 goals in one game at world cup 94

Maceo Rigters to Blackburn after the U-21 tournament a few years ago where Drenthe also got a move to Real Madrid. Both were better than Babel. Rigters is now in Australia.

Gordon Strachan signed Mustapha Hadji and Youssef Chippo after Morocco thrashed Scotland at world cup 98

Ardiles and Villa to Spurs after the 78 World cup

We were strongly linked with him under Allardyce I remember that.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/12/06/manual_084106.html&TEAMHD=soccer

"Russia captain Andrei Arshavin admits he would be interested in joining Newcastle, should Sam Allardyce come calling in the January transfer window."

He then had the form of his life for the next twelve months...

We Signed Guivarch before the world cup but that's beside the point

We probably should have waited till after

The thing is that if he'd had a good World Cup and ended up being a good player that we got for just £3.5m then it would have looked like a masterstroke.

Guest neesy111

We Signed Guivarch before the world cup but that's beside the point

We probably should have waited till after

The thing is that if he'd had a good World Cup and ended up being a good player that we got for just £3.5m then it would have looked like a masterstroke.

Pretty sure that's how Chelsea got Desailly on the cheap.  Signed him before the world cup.

Guest neesy111

But they bought him before the 1998 World Cup.  If they had bought him after his price would have doubled because he had a fantastic tournament.

Ofcourse he was known, but they got him at a very good price.

Didn't we buy Guivarc'h on the back of a really good league season? He finished top scorer with Auxerre, playing alongside Siberski funnily enough.

I always assumed we signed him after the World Cup, I've since found this to be the wrong assumption. Having googled it, yeah we signed Guivarc'h at the end of the Ligue 1 season in 1998 (he finished as one of the top scorers in Ligue 1 too).

Didn't we buy Guivarc'h on the back of a really good league season? He finished top scorer with Auxerre, playing alongside Siberski funnily enough.

I always assumed we signed him after the World Cup, I've since found this to be the wrong assumption. Having googled it, yeah we signed Guivarc'h at the end of the Ligue 1 season in 1998 (he finished as one of the top scorers in Ligue 1 too).

As far as I'm concerned it comes down to whether or not you trust Graham Carr's judgement. I certainly do which is why I'm no longer even half as nervous about foreign players coming over here and flopping, which in our history has been just far too common.