The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Important part or not, it's still put on too much of a pedastal - especially today. Club football should take signicant presidence over it.

I don't agree. The biggest stage on club football absolutely pales in historical significance compared to the World Cup.

The only reason we're even having this conversation at all is because we're hardcore football junkies. The general public doesn't give a s*** about the Champions League, and small sample size as it might be, the World Cup is undeniably a key factor in determining a player's legacy.

Then the general public is in no position to be judging the greatest players of all time. f*** the general public.

I like to think that the truly "great" players (the word itself is quite overused) have a historical and cultural significance that goes far beyond just football fans.

Pele stopped a civil war ffs. :lol:

Maradona also kept the entire economy of Bolivia and Colombia afloat.

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Gaining influence that goes far beyond the pitch through your skills and achievements.

Ryan Giggs is a great player and probably has the most illustrious club career ever, but he's not going to be remembered for very long by people who don't follow football religiously. In about three decades he'll probably be a footnote for most people who aren't Manchester United fans.

Maldini?

I guess? That's a whole different debate that I don't feel qualified to get into.

Messi's legacy at club level already far outstrips Maradona's.

Nonsense. Maradona dragged a basketcase club to their only ever titles in the best league club football will ever see virtually on his own. Messi has everything set up perfectly for him to succeed, it's never rained a day in his life.

Ehem, in summary...

If "great player" for you is being remembered for far beyond your time and being mentioned in the same breath as Pele and Maradona, Messi won't be there until he does well at a World Cup.

If "great player" for you is displaying great technical ability, he's already there so fuck it.

Ehem, in summary...

If "great player" for you is being remembered for far beyond your time and being mentioned in the same breath as Pele and Maradona, Messi won't be there until he does well at a World Cup.

If "great player" for you is displaying great technical ability, he's already there so fuck it.

Are you kiddin' me, bro?

20 years from now, Messi will be talked about no matter what he does for the rest of his career primarily because he was the best player on the best team ever.

Messi and this Barca team are inextricably linked forever.

People talk about the best player and they talk about Pele and Maradona, then someone like Cruyff. Messi, to me, is better than Cruyff. So already he's at #3 and that's only if you give importance to the WC and ignore the quality of the CL today.

What a great night of football yesterday. We may not win the league this year, but as long as I can go to Camp Nou and see spectacles such as that, I will leave the stadium with a big smile on my face. Long it may continue. What can I say? I am a lucky bastard. I called my mom today and thanked her for not marrying an Espanyol fan. She answered that she didn't want her children to lead miserable lives.

Anyway, regarding Xavi scoring so much this year, he's been saying that with the introduction of Cesc he finds himself swapping positions with him a lot, and thus getting into scoring positions more often than he used to do.

And I don't know if Messi is the best ever, to be frank I always find those comparisons pretty hard to do. I certainly wasn't around when Pelé played, and can only go off highlight reels, adding to the fact of how hard is to compare even contemporary footballers with different styles and positions. What can I say about Messi compared to Maradona (who I did see play), is how incredibly consistent Messi is compared to him. When Maradona was Maradona he was ridiculously unstoppable, but he wasn't always Maradona. Messi seems to always be Messi. Games big or small, he almost always does something that I could watch over and over.

Anyway, I look forward having children and telling them how I watched him play. God, I hated it when dad would go on and on about Kubala and now I will be able to do the same.

What a great night of football yesterday. We may not win the league this year, but as long as I can go to Camp Nou and see spectacles such as that, I will leave the stadium with a big smile on my face. Long it may continue. What can I say? I am a lucky bastard. I called my mom today and thanked her for not marrying an Espanyol fan. She answered that she didn't want her children to lead miserable lives.

Anyway, regarding Xavi scoring so much this year, he's been saying that with the introduction of Cesc he finds himself swapping positions with him a lot, and thus getting into scoring positions more often than he used to do.

And I don't know if Messi is the best ever, to be frank I always find those comparisons pretty hard to do. I certainly wasn't around when Pelé played, and can only go off highlight reels, adding to the fact of how hard is to compare even contemporary footballers with different styles and positions. What can I say about Messi compared to Maradona (who I did see play), is how incredibly consistent Messi is compared to him. When Maradona was Maradona he was ridiculously unstoppable, but he wasn't always Maradona. Messi seems to always be Messi. Games big or small, he almost always does something that I could watch over and over.

Anyway, I look forward having children and telling them how I watched him play. God, I hated it when dad would go on and on about Kubala and now I will be able to do the same.

:lol: Brilliant.