NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest Shaun

Cabaye has always been a deep-lying playmaker.

Everyone was saying Cabaye and Tiote were the best midfield partnership in the league January.

:lol:

There it is again.

Huh?

The nonsensical description.

If thats the case then why does it come under one of the positions in football ?????

Deep-lying playmaker

Some players prefer to set up an attack from a withdrawn position, and are often coined deep-lying playmakers, mainly because of their ability to spread play and dictate the game from a withdrawn position. Despite their deep role, they are not classed as defensive midfielders as tackling and defence are not the main function of their roles, and they may have to be supported by a holding midfielder.

Deep-lying playmakers are typically given a moderate amount of defensive responsibilities, but are granted freedom positionally to dictate the play as it evolves, as well as a license to attempt long, riskier balls, to the forwards.

The essential attributes of a deep-lying playmaker include:

Good long passing ability, to play balls towards forwards and wingers. Crossfield passes are typically attempted from deep when the opposing full back is drawn towards the middle and there is an open channel in the flank for the on rushing winger.

Stamina, to cover large distances in professional football. In the top football leagues, a midfielder covers upwards of 10 kilometres per game.

Short passing ability. Although many deep-lying playmakers have natural talent and creativity, they are expected to play short simple passes when deep in their half to avoid the possibility of a counter-attack. They are however given some degree of freedom in playing long passes deep into opposition territory.

Creativity/Vision. The deep-lying playmaker needs to spot openings and opportunities to build up play.

A good and sure first touch to control the ball when receiving passes under sustained opposition pressure.

Players that play this role that are neither DM's or CM's have been called deep lying playmakers for decades ffs its not just FM made up crap.

Norwich play awful, percentage football.

But they are effective at it and cause a lot of problems for other team, we don't

:lol:

Yeah, the league table backs up your argument on that one.

3 points off 8th come off it man, survival is success for them and they are nearly there mug

:lol: what, are you ten years old?

You've said that Norwich cause team problems but we dont, yet here we are, 6th in the league. How do you exlain that one?

Think a lot of it comes down to before Ba and Tiote went to African nations when Ba was on form and scoring, since then we have been horrific to watch. The only really convincing performance I have seen us give in last 6 months was against Man U, good results can mask all sorts of issues.

My point is that teams like Norwich and Swansea actually have a go rather than totally worrying about what wolves etc are going to do to us. He will no doubt look to contain Holt or Morrison today rather than attack the f*** out of their defence

No one is arguing we arent playing particularly well at the moment but making statements like 'Norwich cause teams problems and we dont' is just lazy and probably doesnt come from actually watching Norwich.

I seem to remember us causing the Mackems a few problems in the second half and we also gave Arsenal something to think about, admitted more so the first half. We are having a sticky patch, and we arent playing great. But lets not get get carried away and start throwing our toys out the pram just yet. If we go another 4 games without results and performances then i might agree with you.

Cabaye's always played as a deep lying playmaker from what i've seen, but he's not really had a chance to play like that for us. at the moment he's more like a box-to-box midfielder who never actually makes it into either box.

Wigan and qpr imho

We threw the kitchen sink at Wigan. Against QPR we were missing key players.

Different view points I suppose, not what I saw, there have been games we have won this season where I just looked and thought why are we not having a go. Admittedly there have been two games where we tried to approach the game a bit different spurs and Fulham and got thrashed. First half against Fulham is best I have seen us play away this season, Spurs was just horrific and maybe not the best team to start trying to play attacking against

Other teams just need to stop the ball coming out down our left. Williamson and Simpson are so poor on the ball it either gets knocked long by them or else back to Krul to kick long. When we sort these positions out things will improve imo.

Other teams just need to stop the ball coming out down our left. Williamson and Simpson are so poor on the ball it either gets knocked long by them or else back to Krul to kick long. When we sort these positions out things will improve imo.

Danny Simpson's having a terrific season and there's no chance we'd be 6th without him in the side though.

Every manager we've had has ludicrously bigged up players. I remember Bobby making out that Jenas would be the best midfielder in the world one day, and that LuaLua would eventually get 30 a season.

Jenas had a lot of potential as a 19 year old, particularly during that patch when he scored 6 or 7 goals.  Lua Lua I can''t defend. :lol:

Surely a character like Simpson would benefit more from something along the lines of "Danny's been a consistent player for us since I arrived.  Like anyone else in the squad though he needs to continue improving and earn his place.  Especially given that we've 4 players competing for the full back spots at the minute and we're on an upward trajectory as a club, therefore we're always looking at bringing in new players".

He needs a kick up the arse if anything, the quotes from Pardew just reinforce the idea that he'll be in the side no matter what and ignore some poor performances.  There's no chance of Simpson getting dropped and Simpson knows it.