NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I think it's probably just a case that the targets we'd earmarked to bring in early we signed in January. The plan was always to sign Sissoko and Gouffran when their contracts expired this summer.

Definitely is the case, we signed 5 players in January.

A lot of these clubs that are looking like signing 6 or 7 players didn't buy any in January and thus need to buy more now.

We on the other hand because of our January splurge only really need 2 or 3.

Guest WashyGeordie

I think it's probably just a case that the targets we'd earmarked to bring in early we signed in January. The plan was always to sign Sissoko and Gouffran when their contracts expired this summer.

Definitely is the case, we signed 5 players in January.

A lot of these clubs that are looking like signing 6 or 7 players didn't buy any in January and thus need to buy more now.

We on the other hand because of our January splurge only really need 2 or 3.

Yet we would of had a signing if Llambias was still here (and the rumours are to believed)...

That makes sense if you ignore the fact we only bought one first teamer in the summer (Anita)...

Not saying we will just saying the reasons why we don't need to go mad.

Agree we don't need to go mad... Always feel 3 players is normally a safe limit for integration and to evolve the team... That's why the club messed up last summer... Instead of 3+3 in the two windows we went 1+5...

That makes sense if you ignore the fact we only bought one first teamer in the summer (Anita)...

Not saying we will just saying the reasons why we don't need to go mad.

Agree we don't need to go mad... Always feel 3 players is normally a safe limit for integration and to evolve the team... That's why the club messed up last summer... Instead of 3+3 in the two windows we went 1+5...

I agree completely.

And the fact the PL now has a shortage of physical hardmen strikers. Game has completely changed from say 10/15 year ago. I think Colo/MYM could would perfectly well.

The strikers of today are far better athletes; stronger and quicker. It's not about who likes elbowing defenders.

Disagree - Shearer(before his injury at Goodison), your Brazilian namesake, further back, KK himself, Supermac, Mike Channon etc....and what about the likes of Milburn in the 50s..?

Macdonald would leave ANY modern striker in the dust for pace, KK the majority of them and as for muscle, KK was built like a pocket battleship and Supermac was too strong for the majority of defenders.

And the fact the PL now has a shortage of physical hardmen strikers. Game has completely changed from say 10/15 year ago. I think Colo/MYM could would perfectly well.

The strikers of today are far better athletes; stronger and quicker. It's not about who likes elbowing defenders.

Disagree - Shearer(before his injury at Goodison), your Brazilian namesake, further back, KK himself, Supermac, Mike Channon etc....and what about the likes of Milburn in the 50s..?

Macdonald would leave ANY modern striker in the dust for pace, KK the majority of them and as for muscle, KK was built like a pocket battleship and Supermac was too strong for the majority of defenders.

Shearer and Ronaldo I would agree with, but any further back and it becomes extremely difficult to compare. Players from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's only ever played against players from their own era, so you have to judge their athletic ability relative to who they were competing with. The sport as a whole was slower and less athletic back then. In theory it would be much easier to stand up against this competition. You mention Milburn in the fifties. In the 1952 Olympics, the winning 100m dash time was 10.4 seconds. In 2012 that time wouldn't have qualified for the semifinals of the events. For a number of reasons, the world simply produces better athletes than it used to.

In reference to your claim about Malcolm Macdonald, I think you are seriously underestimating how quick some of the speedsters from the current era would look in the 70's.

I think we only need 3 players for first team as long as 2 are a left winger and striker, with the 3rd a centre midfielder. Could argue a centre half but with mym, colo, tayls there potentially start using tav or streete this season.

We do need to bring in quite a few young players underneath the first team though, the quality is awful, we need forwards as only appear to have campbell as decent striker

In reference to your claim about Malcolm Macdonald, I think you are seriously underestimating how quick some of the speedsters from the current era would look in the 70's.

I think you are seriously under estimating how quick those older players were. Supermac ran the 100m in 10.4 secs on Superstars without blocks, spikes and on a cinder track - that time would have qualified him for the GB Olympic relay squad that year. As for strength he was built like an Ox and again in Superstars he out threw every other athlete in the medicine ball throw.

As for Milburn, he ran in the famous Powderhall race in 1940, won his heat but then threw the semi final by weighing himself down with pennies in one of his shoes. It was a huge gambling race and his backers wanted to save him for the following year. His initials were JET and speaking to people who saw him play they say that's what he was.

Walcott's fastest recorded time is 10.6 secs and as far as I can see Marvell Wynne of Colarado Rapids holds the record for a footballer at 10.39 secs whilst at High School.  PEA can run the 100 in 11 secs.

Supermac would have been simply devasting in today's game.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Cabaye is still a newcastle player next season. I'd be over the moon with just Remy and Sinclair personally as then our midfield and forward line could be:

Tiote/Jonas

Marveaux                Sissoko

HBA                            Sinclair/Goufran

Remy

We then have Goufran and Cisse whom i both rate pushing the front three for their places. I view this as the absolute minimum requirement and we should move heaven and earth to get Remy and Sinclair over the line as we are clearly desperate for this type of quality up front.

Great if we signed Bent too and wouldn't be surprised if we did get Bent,  if he did really well for us and started banging the goals in again. I'd just like us to try this team above packed with exciting Speed and Skill. Remy is obviously pivotal to this. Also Sinclair looks like he's a really exciting player and could be just what we need and being a British left winger by trade should be able to track back when required too you would hope.

In midfield even if we lose Cabaye we still have Sissoko, Marveaux, Tiote, Jonas, Anita and Bigi which looks really strong, fast and creative.

Add to that Santon and Debuchy getting down the flanks as well as they do too and i'm optimistic we have a really good exciting team.

Santon needs to improve defensively he switches off now and again, but is very impressive and creative going forward.

We also need Pardew to really grow a pair and really go attack teams with the above. Let them worry about us a lot more and don't sit back and defend as much.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the year we did most of our summer business early, pre 11-12, was our best one since Ashley took us over.

The only real differences were like-for-like replacements those first 11 games (Cabaye for Nolan, Ba for Carroll and Obertan (lol) for Barton. Cabaye had a disrupted pre-season with the US Colgate scandal, Obertan signed pretty late, only really Ba had a settled pre-season with us out of the new signings in that starting XI.

S. Sinclair & Remy would be great work.

Agreed. A real injection of pace and skill. Presuming Cabaye will be sold. I'd be tempted to line up:

Krul

Debuchy. Taylor Colo santon

Jonas/Tiote

Marveaux.        Sissoko

HBA.                              Sinclair/Goufran

Remy

Our fastest ever team ! Speed tastic !!!

No point having all this pace if we are simply going to bypass the midfield anyway with a hopeful hoof.  We should be sliding balls through on the deck all the time with these players to run on to.  Absolutely no reason why we cannot play really nice flowing, quick football with this team.

Hang on, I forgot Pardew was our manager for a minute.

S. Sinclair & Remy would be great work.

Agreed. A real injection of pace and skill. Presuming Cabaye will be sold. I'd be tempted to line up:

Krul

Debuchy. Taylor Colo santon

Jonas/Tiote

Marveaux.        Sissoko

HBA.                              Sinclair/Goufran

Remy

Our fastest ever team ! Speed tastic !!!

No point having all this pace if we are simply going to bypass the midfield anyway with a hopeful hoof.  We should be sliding balls through on the deck all the time with these players to run on to.  Absolutely no reason why we cannot play really nice flowing, quick football with this team.

Hang on, I forgot Pardew was our manager for a minute.

Agreed. Even Pardew coulden't play hoof ball with that team. So much movement speed, skill and opposition coulden't just stifle us by doubling up on HBA.

Ball retention is definitely something we need to work on.

Guest Roger Kint

:lol:  I'm not rising to your bait son. Good effs though :thup: that's the second one this morning

Out of interest why post it in this thread? :lol: