NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

More convinced than ever that if we don't have a decent start to the season and gain some early momentum things could go to shit very quickly indeed. The similarities to 2008/09 are frightening.

Possible, although we do have a squad (minus a forward) that could do reasonably well this season IMO. Obviously momentum is very important because last season will quickly come back to the players' minds if we don't get going well.

Guest Phil K

We're not completely f***ed at all man, that's a massive exaggeration.

Typical Ian W response to anything that.

Its fact though. We AREN'T "completely f****d" much as I would rant my hatred at that gormless fool who Ashley is allowing to destroy us with his incompetence, as much as we have arguably the worst manager in the Prem, (theres that word again - "incompetent" and "out of his depth") coaches of such lack of ability, ANYONE just about could improve, in fact you run out of things to gnash your teeth at, and wonder what kind of evil b*****d would  treat such good, reliable loyal supporters like this

But "completely f****d" ? A bit of an exaggeration there, man

We're certainly not fucked if we put out HBA, Cisse and Gouffran most games. Remy would be an upgrade of course but that front 3 has enough about it to cause teams problems. Whether we can keep them all fit for the majority of the season is another matter as the back-up options are truly woeful.

Guest neesy111

We're not completely fucked at all man, that's a massive exaggeration.

Typical Ian W response to anything that.

Do you even know what I was responding to?

I like you neesy, but I don't understand why you lower yourself to this kind of shite.

2nd catch of the day.

Guest neesy111

I don't get you neesy, I just start thinking you're a reasonable poster then you go on a couple of days of unmitigated nonsense.

Just like yourself then.

If the new TV deal gives us an extra £25m then our revenue should be around £120m.  With wages of £64m that puts us at about 52% turnover/wages.  Not too shabby at all.

We broke even last season as I recall so should be on course to post a £25m or so profit this season, money that could and should go towards strengthening the first team.  We could spend £20m and still post a decent profit.

Fuck it, i'm gonna wank myself silly because some cockney billionaire I don't know is making lots of money instead.

Guest neesy111

If the new TV deal gives us an extra £25m then our revenue should be around £120m.  With wages of £64m that puts us at about 52% turnover/wages.  Not too shabby at all.

We broke even last season as I recall so should be on course to post a £25m or so profit this season, money that could and should go towards strengthening the first team.  We could spend £20m and still post a decent profit.

Fuck it, i'm gonna wank myself silly because some cockney billionaire I don't know is making lots of money instead.

We broke even in 11/12, including paying back Ashley 12M.  Suspect we were fine last season as well.

It's pretty clear what's going on, Ashley is trying to claw back as much as possible with keeping us in the PL each season.  It's probably been to the detriment of Pardew and the team they finished 5th as he expects it again on a shoestring budget.

what the fuck happened in here man? :lol:

i'm in the ian w camp for once, we're not totally fucked or anything...if the remy and gomis deals both come off, which is very possible, then we transform instantly into something looking very different indeed

we're on a knife edge though, if neither deal comes off then as dave says we might well be headed down a bad path again,but i honestly think we'll start the season with at least one of gomis or remy and cisse

then it's all down to our incompetent coward of a manager, cool as ice

On the whole who is to blame issue, I'm of the opinion that it's more the quality of the squad than the manager.  So, I'm happy to keep Pardew providing the squad is improved.

Keep telling yourself you're only smoking it!

There was a Fink Tank article a while back that looked at the impact of replacing "under performing" managers which found that there was a honeymoon period for the "upgrade" before results reverted to how they were previously.  Ergo, squad quality is far more significant than the manager.

Obviously there will be some miracle worker managers out there, but what is the likelihood that we get that lucky.  How many clubs get that lucky?

Players are in general much more important than managers, the managers job is basically not to do too much damage. Last season Pardew did a bit, but I wouldn't say he always will. In the right circumstances he can sustain a positive environment and a good run, as we saw the season before.

If I thought we would bring in someone of genuine quality then obviously I would want him replaced, but I don't think Ashley is very likely to do that.

I don't believe that for a second, you seriously think that?

Guest neesy111

The manager is always the most important person of a club.  There's a reason why clubs sack them and can pay big compo for new one's.

On the whole who is to blame issue, I'm of the opinion that it's more the quality of the squad than the manager.  So, I'm happy to keep Pardew providing the squad is improved.

Keep telling yourself you're only smoking it!

There was a Fink Tank article a while back that looked at the impact of replacing "under performing" managers which found that there was a honeymoon period for the "upgrade" before results reverted to how they were previously.  Ergo, squad quality is far more significant than the manager.

Obviously there will be some miracle worker managers out there, but what is the likelihood that we get that lucky.  How many clubs get that lucky?

Players are in general much more important than managers, the managers job is basically not to do too much damage. Last season Pardew did a bit, but I wouldn't say he always will. In the right circumstances he can sustain a positive environment and a good run, as we saw the season before.

If I thought we would bring in someone of genuine quality then obviously I would want him replaced, but I don't think Ashley is very likely to do that.

I don't believe that for a second, you seriously think that?

It's obviously not quite as simple as that, but ultimately yes. The best group of players is much more important than the best manager. He has to just set them up with a plan and let them do their thing. Maybe that's not the best way to phrase it, but I do think the importance of the manager is often overemphasised.

The manager is always the most important person of a club.  There's a reason why clubs sack them and can pay big compo for new one's.

He's more important than any individual player (with a few exceptions e.g. Bale for Spurs), but he's not more important the sum total of the players. Obviously pretty hard to prove either way, but that's my belief.

He's more important than any individual player (with a few exceptions e.g. Bale for Spurs), but he's not more important the sum total of the players. Obviously pretty hard to prove either way, but that's my belief.

Erm, the Fink Tank research.

Guest neesy111

I think the way we sacked Bobby for Souness which saw us go from 5th to 13th, might be an argument against that.

I think the way we sacked Bobby for Souness which saw us go from 5th to 13th, might be an argument against that.

It might be, yes. But it's only one example.

C'mon Ian there is about a million examples in history where a manager has come in and improved a team's fortunes.

Course there is, but also ones where a manager has improved a team for a while then failed, where he has made no difference, where he has made things worse, where he has done 'a good job' but a bad set of players still got relegated, etc etc.

C'mon Ian there is about a million examples in history where a manager has come in and improved a team's fortunes.

And yet the research shows that most of the time it's a short term improvement only.