Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

It speaks volumes that Shola was shit but at this moment in time he's still light-years ahead of Cisse purely on the virtue that he can occasionally control a football or win a header. Bringing Cisse on is almost like accepting a voluntary red card, on this form he is genuinely one of the most ineffective, non-contributive footballers I've ever seen. He just runs around like a headless chicken; I'll never be able to get my head around the transformation he's made.

Guest bimpy474

It isn't the day to slate this boy, tbh. Not that I don't agree with the general sentiment.

When is then, not after watching him do it during the match, the match we played today. Confused by that comment tbh.

Shola had been shit before Cisse came on, and by the time he was on the pitch we were all over the place in other areas. I think that's what he means.

Sorry Tron but reading his post again, i think your as wide of the mark as one of Cisse's shots thinking that :lol:

It speaks volumes that Shola was shit but at this moment in time he's still light-years ahead of Cisse purely on the virtue that he can occasionally control a football or win a header. Bringing Cisse on is almost like accepting a voluntary red card, on this form he is genuinely one of the most ineffective, non-contributive footballers I've ever seen. He just runs around like a headless chicken; I'll never be able to get my head around the transformation he's made.

You know it's bad when you're actually disappointed to see Ameobi coming off for Cisse.

It speaks volumes that Shola was s*** but at this moment in time he's still light-years ahead of Cisse purely on the virtue that he can occasionally control a football or win a header. Bringing Cisse on is almost like accepting a voluntary red card, on this form he is genuinely one of the most ineffective, non-contributive footballers I've ever seen. He just runs around like a headless chicken; I'll never be able to get my head around the transformation he's made.

When Cisse first arrived he never stopped running. I think his work rate and confidence have both dropped significantly since that time.

I've given up on him at this point. I really think we need to do everything possible to bring in another striker, even if it's on loan.

Apart from a couple of silly offsides near the end he didn't even do too bad today when he came on, certainly wasn't 'lazy'.

Laziness has nowt to do with it really - he chases down the ball, but that's about all. I could go on the pitch and do that for 90 minutes, no bother. The problem is how little he actually contributes from a footballing perspective. He doesn't hold the ball up, link the play, make effective runs, win headers, pass the ball well, have any capacity to beat a man, and so on... Worse still, he rarely even shoots these days... He's tremendously ineffective. 

Apart from a couple of silly offsides near the end he didn't even do too bad today when he came on, certainly wasn't 'lazy'.

Laziness has nowt to do with it really - he chases down the ball, but that's about all. I could go on the pitch and do that for 90 minutes, no bother. The problem is how little he actually contributes from a footballing perspective. He doesn't hold the ball up, link the play, make effective runs, win headers, pass the ball well, have any capacity to beat a man, and so on... Worse still, he rarely even shoots these days... He's tremendously ineffective.

Disagree with that like, he made some decent runs in behind their defence today but the flick on/pass was usually poor. We got a half chance from a floated diagonal to him on the right where he brought it down brilliantly and got past the defender. Problem was we didn't have anyone in the box for him to get the cross into and he stupidly decided to take a second defender on. Still don't know why we float the ball to him when he has his back to goal though, he's useless in those positions.

Agree. People just want to stick the boot in without even watching the games seems to me.

Agree. People just want to stick the boot in without even watching the games seems to me.

What did he do apart from being offside? pretty sure his first offside was practically straight after he came on as well.

People are just fed up of him now and it is no surprise considering how long it has been going on.

That'll be it, yeah. Nothing to do with Cisse whatsoever.

What did he do apart from being offside? pretty sure his first offside was practically straight after he came on as well.

People are just fed up of him now and it is no surprise considering how long it has been going on.

Strikers who play off the last man are going to get caught offside more often than most. Of course he could play in midfield like Shola or on the wing like Gouffran, but his job is to get on the end of crosses and passes and score goals. There weren't too many of those in the 30 mins he was on the pitch because Southampton bossed the second half.

Cisse's heat map from yesterday. Part of the problem is where he's being asked to play.

http://i43.tinypic.com/xlb18i.png

Mind, the other part of the problem is that he's garbage at the moment....if 'moment' means 'for about 16 months'.

Playing off the last man requires some sort of intelligence and trying to beat the offside trap. He doesn't do this at all, he just runs as soon as we look to be breaking and more often than not he is caught miles offside because he doesn't look across the line or attempt to time his runs.