Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

I'm always surprised to read comments like that above which basically suggest the agent has more say over where the player is going than the player themselves.

I imagine he tasked his agent with finding a club when the Bayern thing fell through.

DVD was Cabaye in the showers  :snod: :lol:

I suspect player tells agent what sort of clubs he'd be interested in and comes back and tells players which would be interested and narrows it down. Some players will I guess have clubs in mind, I'm a bit surprised he was unaware of our interest since we'd been monitoring him so long, but I guess people do actually respect tapping up rules...

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't write this very lightly given he was my boyhood hero and my first real Toon hero, but Cisse is proving to be a better all-rounder than Andy Cole in my humble and the rate he is going, he can overtake Cole and perhaps even Sir Les in the 'best ever number 9s for the Toon' list. I doubt anyone will ever overtake Shearer like not just as an all-rounder but goals scored, but imagine he did?! :lol:

By the way, as an aside, I'm loving seeing all these African/black fans' faces in the stands at St. James' Park. We are clearly a big hit and long may it continue. Newcastle has a growing African community and if we can influence some of the next generation to dream of wearing that famous number 9, just like Papiss, we could tap into quite a potential massive pool of talent, be it here or in Africa itself.

We have some Nigerian friends who run a shop in Newcastle and although they don't really like Senegal or Ivory Coast, they root for our African lads. It makes me really proud. I imagine we must be becoming quite the hit in France too.

I know this compariosn thing has been done to death now, he's like Cole, he's like Tino, he's like Jon Parkin etc.  But he really does remind me of Eto'o at times, noticed it a bit more against Stoke for some reason. 

Pretty high compliment to pay him, obviously not as quick or necessarily as good (yet  :shifty:).  But his movement, sometimes gangly/awkward style and ruthless finishing are all similar.  He's actually quite skillful and has the same awesome knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Read he was the player Papiss most looked up to and wanted to be like as well when playing in the lower leagues.

Guest VaVaVoom

I know this compariosn thing has been done to death now, he's like Cole, he's like Tino, he's like Jon Parkin etc.  But he really does remind me of Eto'o at times, noticed it a bit more against Stoke for some reason. 

Pretty high compliment to pay him, obviously not as quick or necessarily as good (yet  :shifty:).  But his movement, sometimes gangly/awkward style and ruthless finishing are all similar.  He's actually quite skillful and has the same awesome knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Read he was the player Papiss most looked up to and wanted to be like as well when playing in the lower leagues.

I also think he is similar to Eto'o.

I dont however agree that Cisse is gangly and awkward at all.

Ba is more the gangly/awkward type. Cisse has far more technical ability imo.

I also think he is similar to Eto'o.

I dont however agree that Cisse is gangly and awkward at all.

Ba is more the gangly/awkward type. Cisse has far more technical ability imo.

Definitely agree on Ba appearing the more awkward of the two.  I just think Cisse looks really wirey and sometimes looks awkward when shielding the ball or when bringing an aerial ball down.  That is not to say he has a shite touch, he falls over his feet or anything like that.  His touch is usually pretty damn good and as I mentioned, he is skillful.

Ba is all arms and legs and actually loses control quite often.  But strangely, I'd say he has the bigger range of individual skills.

I've confused myself  :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9232699/Newcastle-star-Papiss-Demba-Cisse-is-driven-to-new-heights-by-respect-for-the-No-9-shirt.html?

Cissé is full of anecdotes and angles — of why his next car will be a modest Peugeot 206, of how his uncle, Ousmane Tandian Cissé, is the chauffeur to the president of Senegal and of his apology to the parents of a four-year-old fan, Sam Livingstone. He has a vivid, joyful answer for each question as he takes part in his first major interview since arriving at Newcastle United.

“Extraordinaire” appears to be his favourite adjective as he rattles through his experiences and his thoughts. It has, indeed, been “extraordinaire” and there does not need to be any translation for that one from Lauren, Newcastle’s French interpreter whose work at the club has increased rapidly with a skew of Francophile signings in recent times, including Cissé’s compatriot and fellow striker Demba Ba.

Cissé is already grinning and shaking his head slowly even before the inevitable question about what it’s like to wear that Newcastle No 9 shirt is completed.

“The day I came to sign for Newcastle, when I came to see the manager [Alan Pardew] in his office, I learnt about this number and what it means for the club and that it’s a sacred number for Newcastle and that players who have had that number before me have been huge players such as Alan Shearer,” Cissé explains.

“And so the manager said ‘I’m trusting you with this number’. I told him that I would fill it. That I would fulfil the role that it requires. It gave me courage to have that shirt. It showed that the manager trusted me and it also put pressure on me in a good way because it motivated me to perform. When I took that number I admit I was a little bit scared, it was a big number, and there was such a big expectation with it but at the same time I thought ‘well, why shouldn’t I wear this shirt and show everyone what I can do?’ ”

Cissé has done just that. The No 9 centre-forward shirt had been vacant at Newcastle since Andy Carroll’s £35 million move to Liverpool in January 2011. Cissé has struck 11 goals in 10 matches since his £10 million move from Freiburg, where he is regarded as the Bundesliga club’s best-ever player, in January and has the best goals-per-minutes ratio in Premier League history — a staggering goal every 68 minutes — and a chance conversion rate which is twice as good as any other striker, including Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney. He also scores with the fewest number of touches per game. It is a lesson in deadly efficiency.

The sheer weight of Cissé’s goals has helped drive Newcastle to six straight victories and fourth place in the Premier League under Pardew’s “extraordinaire” stewardship as he has moulded an attacking, front-foot team. Champions League football — “my dream,” says Cissé — could be an improbable reality with just four games to go, starting with Saturday’s away match at Wigan Athletic and also a fixture against Manchester City who were one of the clubs who monitored Cissé but decided not to bid for the 26 year-old. “I know we can go far,” says Cissé.

And it is not just the number of goals. It is the quality. Take the two he scored to defeat Swansea City away earlier this month — a coolly placed low shot, with minimal backlift and power and then a wonderfully innovative chip, quickly shifting his feet, over the rooted goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

The latter is a clear candidate for goal of the season. He also meant it.

“It was the only solution as there was no other way to beat the goalkeeper,” Cissé explains. “In a match, you have to do that. You have to find solutions. If you spend time thinking about it, thinking about what you are going to do, then defenders will arrive and, therefore, what comes into my head immediately is what I follow.”

He is also remarkably calm under pressure amid the hurly-burly of the Premier League. He says that when he was coached by Francis De Taddeo at his first foreign club, Metz, “he always told me that a striker who scores is one who stays calm in front of goal. If you do that then all the movements and gestures will come easily. You have to remain calm rather than get worked up about things and that is the kind of attacker I am today”.

The goals against Swansea were predator’s strikes and both came from superb passes from French international midfielder Yohan Cabaye, another astute Pardew signing, with whom Cissé has struck “an understanding”.

“When he delivers such great passes, you have to score as an attacker,” Cissé says. “It’s my job to score goals. It’s what I do. It’s the best feeling in football because it’s what football is about. From my head to my toes, it makes me completely happy when I score a goal.”

Cissé watched a film called Goal recently, fishing out a DVD he bought a year ago. It tells the fantastical story of a penniless young Mexican, Santiago Munez, who travels to Newcastle and begs for a trial before finally making it as a striker. It is, admittedly, one of the cheesiest sports films of all time but it understandably appeals to Cissé.

“It’s different, of course, from my life but it’s a great film because every player goes through some kind of similar experience,” he says. “And Newcastle is an extraordinary club, it makes players want to play for it. The only time I am not happy is when I have days off, because I do not see people from the club.”

Cissé’s own story is full of warmth and belief. Born in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, where his uncle works, he and his family lived to the south, in Casamance. Cissé smiles at the thought of the drive along the coast — not something recommended by the Foreign Office concerned at the prospect of banditry — and talks about his family.

“My father Oumar made beds and wardrobes,” he says. “Before that he was in the army. His brother, my uncle, was also in the army and is now the driver to the president of Senegal.” It must be in the blood.

“When I was a kid, football was just about having fun. What I really wanted to do was to be a driver because I loved cars. It wasn’t until I was 17 that my older brother Nfamarh said to me ‘why don’t you be a football player?’

“We didn’t have a car but there was a guy who lived close by who had one and he taught me to drive. I was 15 and I would go after school and then I stopped school to continue to drive – which my dad didn’t agree with. But it was a job for me and I was driving an ambulance, publicising vaccination campaigns, and that’s when I learnt about yellow fever and polio.

“I got a lot out of doing it and I now support projects in the south of Senegal, which is far from hospitals. I’ve experienced it and seen it and know how difficult it is. But I thought to myself ‘if I stay a driver then how will I be able to help my family?’ ”

After starting his career in Casamance, then Dakar, he moved to Metz, with loan spells at two other French clubs, Cherbourg and Chateauroux. He is the only one from his generation to have made it as a professional while the career of his younger brother, also Ousmane, has stalled through injury. It was at Metz that Cissé was able to buy his first car — a Peugeot 206.

“I loved it,” he says, lapsing into his only bit of English (he has started lessons). “My own car. I just loved driving, not playing around with engines or racing — I don’t want to kill myself. But I had to leave the car behind in Metz when I went to Germany. The next car I buy [he now has four] will be another Peugeot 206 because it’s special to me.”

It is easy to understand why community and family means so much to him and why he feels he has bonded in Newcastle. “The players need the fans, the fans need the players. The supporters are there every week,” he says. “They give up everything to come, they have paid their tickets and they shout until they can’t shout anymore. They don’t get paid for that, they don’t get anything like the pay we do anyway; they don’t get recognition, but they are always there.”

It is why he took a trip to see one young fan, Sam Livingstone, and his older brother Jack at their home in Bedlington, Northumberland. “There’s a boy called Sam,” Cissé explains. “He was at school and all the pupils were asked to make presents for their parents. But he decided to make one for me. He sent me a drawing and it was written on the back what he had done. I went see him last week to say sorry to his parents that Sam had done it for me instead of them! He didn’t believe it when I knocked on the door. He was so happy and seeing him so happy was very good for me.”

Cue yet more smiles from Newcastle’s special No 9.

:love:

This guy is amazing. In his short time even though we have so many heroes this season he has become my favourite. At this rate if Carroll was deemed worth £35 million it is scary to think what Cisse is worth especially given our position of strength. Even in his short time here I think I'd be more upset at seeing him go that I was when Carroll left, maybe that attitude is because I'm not a native?

By the way with the Eto'o references you know on RTG it's going to be "a mag kernt that I know was riding his horse and telling me Cisse is better than Eto'" and it will soon become fact that we said that.

I hope his reaction to being dropped is ok now best is back.

Why bother with a post like that? It's useless and not even remotely funny

Someone is getting a little defensive...

Seriously mate? You're defending a post like that? Anyone who thinks that Pards is going to demote Cisse to the bench now that Best is back is out of their mind and such a post is useless at best. I don't know how else to describe it

I hope his reaction to being dropped is ok now best is back.

Why bother with a post like that? It's useless and not even remotely funny

Someone is getting a little defensive...

Seriously mate? You're defending a post like that? Anyone who thinks that Pards is going to demote Cisse to the bench now that Best is back is out of their mind and such a post is useless at best. I don't know how else to describe it

Yeah sure it was low quality, but i'll defend someone's right to post a lame attempt at humour if they want to. Everyone on this forum has done it more than once. Just think your reaction was well over the top, like you and your family had been personally insulted or something.