Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

He had 1 chance today and was (from what I saw) unfairly judged offside when he would have been in 1 on 1 in another.

Honestly we just need to forget the first half of the season and start judging players from afresh, and Cisse since the new signings have arrived has looked a better player imo, he needs goals obviously but I don't think he's exactly missing sitter after sitter, he had one header today after he pealed away from the defence, but because he missed his target everyone immediately jumps to call him a knacker, regardless of how difficult the chance actually was.

It was happening against Villa and Chelsea too.

The run was offside, but it was a good run tbh. That header from the Colo cross though, he had so much space and time, to not even work the 'keeper is criminal for a top striker.

I'll have to see the offside decision again but it looked like he was being played on by the centre back's foot. It may have just been the angle though but it was tight either way.

As for the header it was a very difficult chance man, come on. To score from a there he has to loop it into the far corner as he could hardly power it in, he tried that and it went wide. The safer option is to head it closer to the keeper who makes a routine save, and everyone calls him a knacker for not aiming towards the far corner of the net :lol:

Don't get me wrong, Cisse hasn't been a brilliant striker of late by any means, I think his link up play has been good as well has his movement but his finishing (although not laughable) hasn't been as emphatic as we know it can be. A striker doesn't score the quality of goals he has out of pure luck, he just needs his form back.

That header was awful today, can't believe anyone is defending it :lol:

That was a difficult header to pull off, it wasn't easy at all if he did score it we would all being raving how fantastic a header it was.

Fine margins.....

A ball was put in, he was completely on his own and he headed it yards wide. It was absolutely shocking :lol:

Not saying he definitely should have scored it but he definitely should have got it on target at least, he was nowhere near.

Not worried about Cisse at all. He'll score plenty of goals in this side.

Did you copy paste that from a couple of weeks ago? I keep reading these votes of confidence, and people expected Cisse to pick it up after Ba left, but it hasn't really happened for him so far, has it? I predicted him to score 20-25 earlier in that poll, now I'd be ecstatic if he gets half that.

Did you copy paste that from a couple of weeks ago? I keep reading these votes of confidence, and people expected Cisse to pick it up after Ba left, but it hasn't really happened for him so far, has it? I predicted him to score 20-25 earlier in that poll, now I'd be ecstatic if he gets half that.

He's scored three times in the last couple of weeks. He's still off the form of last season, but that was ridiculous form to be honest. 20-25 Premier League goals would have probably seen us challenging for the title btw, it happens that rarely.

He's scored three times in the last couple of weeks. He's still off the form of last season, but that was ridiculous form to be honest. 20-25 Premier League goals would have probably seen us challenging for the title btw, it happens that rarely.

He's scored three in the last couple of weeks, which isn't bad in all fairness, but he could have had many more if he had taken his chances at a rate you'd expect a top striker to get. I think Rich posted some chance conversion stats a couple of weeks back (don't know where he got them from), and Cisse was way behind other top strikers in the league this season. With all the chances spurned recently I don't think that stat will have got much better.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on wor Papiss, but my prediction was based on my conviction that he is a top striker, as his record for us last season and in Germany the seasons before seems to suggest. As I hold him in high esteem, I also judge him as such, and in my mind he is falling way behind the level I expect him to operate at.

As for 20-25 Premiership goals being that unrealistic, last season we were one good result from CL qualification, and we had two forwards seemingly capable of 20-25 goals for the season. The main strikers in the current top 6 are well on their way to scoring around 20. Also, many people on here want us to play a system with one forward. We can't get away from the fact that this sole striker will need to get around 20 goals a season for the team to have a good season. I really don't think it's that preposterous a suggestion.

Exactly. Hope he gets a start on Thursday though. He could do with one or two for a bit of confidence.

That was a difficult header to pull off, it wasn't easy at all if he did score it we would all being raving how fantastic a header it was.

Fine margins.....

A ball was put in, he was completely on his own and he headed it yards wide. It was absolutely shocking :lol:

Not saying he definitely should have scored it but he definitely should have got it on target at least, he was nowhere near.

It was nowhere near as easy as you are making it out to be.

Fine margins.....

It was nowhere near as easy as you are making it out to be.

thought it was a good try to  put it in the far post- really difficult to pull off, and a decent attempt.

:thup:

Exactly,  while he might be slightly short of confidence you only have to look at his career, scored goals galore for years and have no doubt he will be banging them in regular for us,  he only had 1 chance today but he worked his socks off for 90 mins. 

He's the least of our worries imo

People either grossly over rate Papiss or under rating Bent, I'm not sure.

People are acting as if Papiss link up play is good all the time like say he's RVP. It's not. He's better than Bent IMO but not by a huge margin.  Cisse is capable of the spectacular, Bent isn't. Bent is more practical with finishing which helps.  Cisse movement is better when it works. Better link up but not by a big distance.

What we have to do for Papiss is what we would have to do for Bent.

What the fuck man :lol:

No one is saying Cisse is fucking Teddy Sherringham, he's just far better on the ball than Darren Bent ffs. This is getting daft now, I hope he sorts it out soon as he's undoubtedly far better than he has shown this season (and I do believe he's starting to show it over the past month or so).

Demba Ba had a Cisse half year too and then turned into one of the best strikers in the league again this year. Form is temporary and all that jazz, mentioning Cisse in the same breath as either Defoe or Bent is offensive, I'm sorry. He's had a bad half a year man, along with everyone else.

Bent and Defoe are notorious for giving a team goals and nothing else, sometimes at the detriment of the team. I rate both really highly as goalscorers and always have done but would agree with that general assessment. If you watched Cisse in that 433 last season and choose to put him in the same bracket then you need your head checked.

Bent is a good goalscorer, I can accept that. Defoe though?

He's having a half decent season, he's never looked anywhere even remotely capable of pulling off some of the s*** Cisse was last year. His career is also filled with seasons like Cisse is having now.

Defoe's averaged something like 1 every 2.5 games for the last 12 years. It's hardly just a half-decent season out of the ordinary ffs. :lol:

This wouldn't even be up for debate if our manager knew how to orchestrate an attacking game plan that gives Cisse the service that he needs.

Conversely, the attacking game plan wouldn't even be up for debate if Cisse took the chances that fall to him week in week out, like he did last season.

He isn't getting chances week in week out though that's the problem. Because of this every single time he has an attempt and doesn't score it's being magnified. Exactly like when Shearer scored about 2 goals for us in the league in half a season after he returned from his ankle injury. We were creating fuck all under Dalglish so whenever Shearer wasn't converting a chance people were saying he was finished etc because chances seemed that rare it was under more scrutiny.

Guest firetotheworks

This. He's still a quality player and it shines through most of the time.