Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

He's got 2 goals in 5 league starts since the new players came in, and should have had a couple of cup goals but for some awful officiating.

I think he'll be alright and will score at the least 1 in 2 for the rest of the season.  Could do with another Gouffran type mind, it's daft that our "forward line" includes Jonas.

Aye, once HBA is up and running I would keep Jonas for the subs bence and bring him on to close games out/hold the ball up.

It's more than just a system Unbelievable, it's about playing to his strengths while in that system. He's getting very little service, as Wullie pointed out. It did improve initially after the new signings but over the last couple of games he's again had very little to work with. Our crossing is abysmal on the whole, he's had little in the way of passes behind defence all season. Where the hell is he supposed to get goals from?

2 shots a game for a striker is horrific, and people wonder why he's not getting more goals. Let's not agree with facts though, that's simply an excuse. Just on a sidenote, he and Ba have around the same conversion rate this year.

He's got 2 goals in 5 league starts since the new players came in, and should have had a couple of cup goals but for some awful officiating.

I think he'll be alright and will score at least 1 in 2 for the rest of the season.  Could do with another Gouffran type mind, it's daft that our "forward line" includes Jonas.

When HBA comes back :megusta:

Plus, I can't say I saw much of Cisse before he joined us but I did watch a few of those compilation things and there's no way he's only scored spectacular goals over the course of his career.  Thought we were getting an Andy Cole style fox-in-the-box when we signed him, looked every bit a great short-range finisher above all else.

They didn't show him missing the target and being 4 miles offside on these videos though. :lol:

So nobody has been able to answer my question about what specific strengths he has, that we are not playing too, except for pointing to his number of shots as some form of evidence that we are not creating enough chances for him? Look, I don't need pointing out that we aren't exactly Brazil when it comes to creating chances, but neither do I think we are much worse than other teams in the league, and chance creation is as much something strikers contribute to actively as something that is done for them. From the statistics that Rich posted a couple of weeks ago his chance conversion was way below last season's and other top strikers. I don't even need to look at stats to know he's not brilliant at holding the ball up and creating chances for others. So I ask again, if indeed Cisse's disappointing season is a consequence of his team mates not doing their job well enough rather than he himself failing, how exactly should his team mates provide better service by playing to his strengths? Ping it high to him to hold it up, play through balls for him to beat the offside trap, make him work the channels, play crosses in from the sides? For me, based on what I've seen in the season and a bit he has been with us he scores the spectacular where he doesn't need to think and can just put his foot through it. Whilst these goals obviously look fantastic, it's pretty damn hard to base your gameplan around one of them happening every forthnight if you ask me.

Bit of an intuitive finisher rather than a methodical one. Hit and miss in other words. Can be frustrating as he seems the type that will get goals in gluts with periods of less prodcutivity.

He looked a smashing player when we played 3 up top last season, his all-round game was unquestionably very good IMO.  This idea that he can only score spectacular goals is rubbish as well, he's an instinctive finisher which will often have you wondering "How did he do that?" but he can score any type of goal including tap-ins and easy chances.  I've still got every faith in him, he/we could do with some genuine competition for his place though.  Has had a bad time of it but he'll be OK.

He looked a smashing player when we played 3 up top last season, his all-round game was unquestionably very good IMO.  This idea that he can only score spectacular goals is rubbish as well, he's an instinctive finisher which will often have you wondering "How did he do that?" but he can score any type of goal including tap-ins and easy chances.  I've still got every faith in him, he/we could do with some genuine competition for his place though.  Has had a bad time of it but he'll be OK.

Think he'll be alright in the long run. Needs to just sometimes not smash it. :lol:

Bit of an intuitive finisher rather than a methodical one. Hit and miss in other words. Can be frustrating as he seems the type that will get goals in gluts with periods of less prodcutivity.

My main worry is that he's not the type to grab a team by the scruff of the neck and lead from the front in a struggling side, but he just doesn't seem that type of player.  If we can go on a winning run again then I'm confident he'll play his part in it, chipping in with goals and intelligent all-round play and movement.

Think he'll be alright in the long run. Needs to just sometimes not smash it. :lol:

Agree, if we can have a less farcial time of it next year with him not being the one and only choice up front (and being played in his preferred position when he does play) then I'd back him to play well and get 15+ goals, no worries.

So nobody has been able to answer my question about what specific strengths he has, that we are not playing too, except for pointing to his number of shots as some form of evidence that we are not creating enough chances for him? Look, I don't need pointing out that we aren't exactly Brazil when it comes to creating chances, but neither do I think we are much worse than other teams in the league, and chance creation is as much something strikers contribute to actively as something that is done for them. From the statistics that Rich posted a couple of weeks ago his chance conversion was way below last season's and other top strikers. I don't even need to look at stats to know he's not brilliant at holding the ball up and creating chances for others. So I ask again, if indeed Cisse's disappointing season is a consequence of his team mates not doing their job well enough rather than he himself failing, how exactly should his team mates provide better service by playing to his strengths? Ping it high to him to hold it up, play through balls for him to beat the offside trap, make him work the channels, play crosses in from the sides? For me, based on what I've seen in the season and a bit he has been with us he scores the spectacular where he doesn't need to think and can just put his foot through it. Whilst these goals obviously look fantastic, it's pretty damn hard to base your gameplan around one of them happening every forthnight if you ask me.

His main asset is his movement, that's something we certainly don't play to. To complement that, we need to give him service quicker, both in terms of crosses out wide and balls through the middle. His goal against Bordeaux was class, it came from a left-footed left back that can whip in a ball early, something we've not seen in the league. Last month's link up with Cabaye and Sissoko showed exactly what he'd really been missing, someone with vision who could supply early through balls as he hung on the shoulder of the defender. Lastly, get some people and movement around him in the box, we don't get enough players in there and he just doesn't have the power (like Ba) to get extra bit of space while battling with defenders. It's simply too slow and predictable and there's consequently too much of an emphasis on physicality getting goals, there's no intelligence there and he's not going to thrive like that.

In terms of general play, use him as a target and link up man as little as possible, and if we do, keep it on the deck because he's useful with one touch passes etc. Sissoko's pretty much a centre forward for us, he's the link man between midfield and attack, his presence should allow Cisse to play on the shoulder, where he's most effective.

One thing that gets me is how deep he seems to get sometimes. If I was Pards I'd tell him to play on the last defender even if he gets offside 100times, instead of dropping deep to hold up play, we have Sissoko for that. Let him play as a poacher and stay offside 10 times as long as he gets onside once or twice and scores.

In terms of general play, use him as a target and link up man as little as possible, and if we do, keep it on the deck because he's useful with one touch passes etc. Sissoko's pretty much a centre forward for us, he's the link man between midfield and attack, his presence should allow Cisse to play on the shoulder, where he's most effective.

Hadn't seen this before posting but :thup:

My missus commented on Enrique's goal "not being that special"

Completely agree.

:lol:

The Liverpool hatred on here (forum) is so blatant. I hate them as much as the next guy, but Suarez not being the best in the league and the Enrique goal not being anything special :anguish:

He scored a few tap ins and un spectacular goals last season too - his double vs. Liverpool springs to mind. Its two-fold for him, he's clearly having a tough season and we are clearly not creating enough chances for him. Both need sorting out and he'll be fine.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Teams playing higher against us.

Cissé very rarely being in the penalty box.

Cissé not having an really pace or ability to beat a man.

Offsides.

Us sitting deeper.

You need to have a word with our manager.

We need to be 4-3-3 to get the best out of this world-class finisher, with HBA right and Gouffran left, Marveaux subbing in where necessary. Midfield 3 of Sissoko/Tiote/Cabaye and the regular flat back 4. No idea what's holding Pardew to 4-4-2.

We need to be 4-3-3 to get the best out of this world-class finisher, with HBA right and Gouffran left, Marveaux subbing in where necessary. Midfield 3 of Sissoko/Tiote/Cabaye and the regular flat back 4. No idea what's holding Pardew to 4-4-2.

We haven't played 442 for months :lol: