Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Perhaps we just disagree, but from my point of view of the matches I see, it's Cisse and Sissoko up front pressing, with our wide players forming a line with our central midfield. When we get the ball, we break in this shape.

Guest Phil K

That's what I don't understand. We expect more from Shola than he can give and we abuse him when he doesn't live up to it. Yet, Cisse under performs when we know he can play so much better but it is ignored and at worst, blamed on other less talented players.

Its a point Ive made a couple of times myself. Not only Cisse - happened many times in the past many on here mock and sneer at Shola, but defend others not performing I can't understand it either. What is even more baffling is how those ranting at Shola rant all the louder when this is pointed out, as if you're "not supposed to mention this, just take it for granted that it's right"

To be fair on Cisse, I just don't think the lucks with him this season though. No lack of effort, certainly

Poor players get criticised for being poor, some fans are even intelligent enough to assess performance relative to the player.

No. Certain players get scapegoated, a  good example was when we beat QPR 1-0 and Shola produced, none of the others did. Within hours, he was getting mocked again while those who DIDN'T produce didn't get a bit of criticism. Most fans will just jump on the bandwagon

I understand what you're getting at Hawk, certainly Sissoko is a forward with Cisse and it's less to do with shape on team sheet, but we've gone from having a light midfield to one where the forwards drop into it to give us numbers in the middle. Also in Gouffran and Jonas we have wide players who cut in narrow so it resembles a 4-2-3-1 more than 4-4-2. We have fluidity in the middle again compared to when we played proper 4-4-2 where we were stuck in our half with the forwards completely seperated from the rest of the players.

Shola doesn't deserve personal abuse, but he gets stick (or Pardew does for playing him) because he should be no where near the team. It's more "why the fuck is he still playing for us, he's shit", which to be honest is a harsh but accurate statement. Fans clearly believe that Cisse is actually more than good enough to be our main centre forward and therefore have much more time for him being in the side.

Surely you can see the difference here?

EDIT: No doubt certain players are used as scapegoats when we lose like.

Perhaps Tiesias, to me it appeared we got the best out of Cisse last season when we had a clear 3 up front rather than what appears to be 2 now. Ba and HBA running all over the place made so much space for Cisse to do what he does best. I think Cisse's suffering from Sissoko pushing too far up the pitch off the ball rather than our wide players. Sissoko doesn't create the space like the other 2 did as that's not his job from what I can see. That's not to say we're not getting him chances now, but they seem to be in different areas and where he's leading the line.

Perhaps Tiesias, to me it appeared we got the best out of Cisse last season when we had a clear 3 up front rather than what appears to be 2 now. Ba and HBA running all over the place made so much space for Cisse to do what he does best. I think Cisse's suffering from Sissoko pushing too far up the pitch off the ball rather than our wide players. Sissoko doesn't create the space like the other 2 did as that's not his job from what I can see. That's not to say we're not getting him chances now, but they seem to be in different areas and where he's leading the line.

Gouffran is doing the same job Ba did last season ( in regards to 4-3-3), some could argue more effectively because he's more suited to the role and has much more pace.

Ben Arfa isn't there at the moment so its hard to compare but once he does i think you will see something similar to last season.

Not to mention we have two attacking fullbacks now and both are beginning to show what they can offer as an attacking outlet to improve the team. ( ok Santon needs to improve defensively but offensively he's becoming effective)

We have a lot of offensive ability when everyone is fit, the problem is that if Cisse or Ben Arfa get injured we don't have the necessary quality to replace them i hope that is something that can be improved in the summer.

I don't think the system or style of play is a problem anymore though more so a lack of depth and talent in some positions.

That's what I don't understand. We expect more from Shola than he can give and we abuse him when he doesn't live up to it. Yet, Cisse under performs when we know he can play so much better but it is ignored and at worst, blamed on other less talented players.

Its a point Ive made a couple of times myself. Not only Cisse - happened many times in the past many on here mock and sneer at Shola, but defend others not performing I can't understand it either. What is even more baffling is how those ranting at Shola rant all the louder when this is pointed out, as if you're "not supposed to mention this, just take it for granted that it's right"

To be fair on Cisse, I just don't think the lucks with him this season though. No lack of effort, certainly

Poor players get criticised for being poor, some fans are even intelligent enough to assess performance relative to the player.

No. Certain players get scapegoated, a  good example was when we beat QPR 1-0 and Shola produced, none of the others did. Within hours, he was getting mocked again while those who DIDN'T produce didn't get a bit of criticism. Most fans will just jump on the bandwagon

By some fans sure. Doesn't contradict what I said at all.

Gouffran is doing the same job Ba did last season ( in regards to 4-3-3), some could argue more effectively because he's more suited to the role and has much more pace.

Ben Arfa isn't there at the moment so its hard to compare but once he does i think you will see something similar to last season.

Not to mention we have two attacking fullbacks now and both are beginning to show what they can offer as an attacking outlet to improve the team. ( ok Santon needs to improve defensively but offensively he's becoming effective)

We have a lot of offensive ability when everyone is fit, the problem is that if Cisse or Ben Arfa get injured we don't have the necessary quality to replace them i hope that is something that can be improved in the summer.

I don't think the system or style of play is a problem anymore though more so a lack of depth and talent in some positions.

Yeah I agree, when we have HBA+Gouffran/Marveaux available I'm hoping we go back to doing what we used to do very well at the back end of last season. In the interim(lol) period we just seem to revert to something that really doesn't suit our attacking players and is very reminiscent of the hit+hope tactics we had for the first few games when we had Cisse+Ba together.

Bit off the topic, but if Haidara gets the nod again tonight, then what's to stop Pardew considering Santon as an attacking midfielder on the right hand side for when HBA is out? I'd like to see him started further up the pitch now we seem to have some genuine quality in both full back positions for the first time since Pearce/Barton. Bale came from being a fullback remember :)

No way near an ITK but been informed by a fairly reliable source that Cisse is going to see the Newcastle doctor today regarding a virus and there is a chance he may not travel to Russia..

:llorente?:

Bit off the topic, but if Haidara gets the nod again tonight, then what's to stop Pardew considering Santon as an attacking midfielder on the right hand side for when HBA is out? I'd like to see him started further up the pitch now we seem to have some genuine quality in both full back positions for the first time since Pearce/Barton. Bale came from being a fullback remember :)

I have spoken about Santon as an attacking option before and my stance is this.... A lot of of his strengths is moving into open space which comes from not being picked up from deeper positions and if he played further forward a lot of those strengths would be taken away.

Also as of right now his decision making in the final third is not really good enough for an attacker and i don't think he is physically or mentally there yet to be successful in such a role.

I agree with picking Haidara btw but i would be tempted to use Santon on the right side instead of Simpson, for one we are on a plastic pitch so it will be important to keep the ball. Also while it will be important to be strong defensively, it will also be important to push Anzhi back when possible and i don't think Simpson is capable of that.

No way near an ITK but been informed by a fairly reliable source that Cisse is going to see the Newcastle doctor today regarding a virus and there is a chance he may not travel to Russia..

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h322/wwegirl16/NOOOOOOO.gif

Just said on total sport he's doubtful

less reason not to play Gouffran this time round then.

Well somebody was going to

:lol:

Gouffran up top then.

:troll: