Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Cisse isn't good enough at anything else to have goal droughts.

This. A million times this.

Cisse has scored 8 goals in 50 Premiership matches.

Nice made up stat that like.

8 in 47 isn't much better tbf.

I though this was the first game this season where he actually looked like he was trying, he is bang out of form but as long as he tries as hard as he did then the goals will come.

The effort is there, and I thought that Cardiff was actually one of his better games.

What often seems to be lacking is that commitment to put his head or foot in where it hurts. I can't think when he was last out injured, or when he was even on the deck, hurt after a challenge or needing treatment. Perhaps others will correct me, but for a centre forward he seems very immune to injury, major or minor.

He plays like a fairy tbh. It's been mentioned before but he plays like he';s above a physical confrontation. Eased off the ball so often.

"Eased off the ball so often" every other ball that he controls more like... Really soft so far this year.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

The only thing which has kept him in the team is that we inexplicably have a better shape when he's in the lineup. He is supposed to be a poacher and a clinical finisher so how many chances does he need in 12 games for him to score? Even Cabaye who is not a striker has a better conversion rate  :lol:

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

How many chances has he had?

about 15 to 18 shots in the league. I would be too kind to him if I discarded the shots off target because most of them seemed like clear cut goal chances.

The only thing which has kept him in the team is that we inexplicably have a better shape when he's in the lineup. He is supposed to be a poacher and a clinical finisher so how many chances does he need in 12 games for him to score? Even Cabaye who is not a striker has a better conversion rate  :lol:

it's only inexplicable if you hold to the view that he does nothing but poach goals which is the common consensus here. I don't agree with it, and that's why I'm not surprised our shape is better when he's playing. He's the focal point of our attack and we don't really have any alternative that someone like Gomis would provide. I'd like to see Gouffran given a go but I'm not convinced he'd have the presence up front to make it work either.

We have a better shape when he's in the team because last time he wasn't Pardew stupidly played Remy centrally instead of on the wing where a) he's much more effective and b) we have nobody else who can do what he does, while centrally we also have Cisse and Gouffran. As far as I am concerned, even ignoring the goal fraught, there is nothing Cisse can do in our build up play that Gouffran can't, so for now it should be the latter until Cisse sorts himself out.

We have a better shape when he's in the team because last time he wasn't Pardew stupidly played Remy centrally instead of on the wing where a) he's much more effective and b) we have nobody else who can do what he does, while centrally we also have Cisse and Gouffran. As far as I am concerned, even ignoring the goal fraught, there is nothing Cisse can do in our build up play that Gouffran can't, so for now it should be the latter until Cisse sorts himself out.

:thup:

Finally got a goal against Leeds then got dropped next match, not exactly great for a confidence boost.  Fair enough wasn't great against Cardiff but his movement and shot resulted in Remy's second.

When he was banging them in and looking like one of the best in the league people were laughing at mackems for comparing him to Amr Zaki etc, now they are agreeing with such comparisons.

He's still showing glimpses of absolute class with first touches, holding defenders off and taking the ball down.  Towards the end of last season I've never seen a striker be so unlucky with wrongly disallowed goals and hitting the woodwork.

Can't believe people are willing to/have already written him off.

Finally got a goal against Leeds then got dropped next match, not exactly great for a confidence boost.  Fair enough wasn't great against Cardiff but his movement and shot resulted in Remy's second.

When he was banging them in and looking like one of the best in the league people were laughing at mackems for comparing him to Amr Zaki etc, now they are agreeing with such comparisons.

He's still showing glimpses of absolute class with first touches, holding defenders off and taking the ball down.  Towards the end of last season I've never seen a striker be so unlucky with wrongly disallowed goals and hitting the woodwork.

Thanks for confirming it. Sometimes when I read this thread I wonder if I'm watching a different player to everyone else.

Never have I seen someone who has delivered for us so well in the past be rounded on by so many people in such a harsh way.

5 months of top, top drawer performances vs. 14 months of BS

Fernando Torres still shows glimpses of class. So what? Cisse often has a terrible first touch and looks weak as piss. Shola has glimpses of class ffs.

Disallowed goals are swings and roundabouts. His S'hampton belter was offside. Another one of his goals literally hit him on the arse and went in without him knowing. You win some, you lose some.

During his purple streak I thought "there's no way he can keep this up and if he can we'll end ups selling him to Real Madrid". He scored 7-8 wonder goals. Anything he wanted to do, he pulled off. Can't keep that up forever. Towards the end of last season when he got a few winners in league and cup I thought was the type of performances I thought he could keep at consistently. And he hasn't managed that.

If it wasn't for awful luck and other players silly mistakes he would have single handedly got us past one of the best sides in Europe and into the Europa Semis, who knows what could have happened.

That and a poor start to this season is going to be mentally draining on any player, give him more time ffs.

If it wasn't for awful luck and other players silly mistakes he would have single handedly got us past one of the best sides in Europe and into the Europa Semis, who knows what could have happened.

That and a poor start to this season is going to be mentally draining on any player, give him more time ffs.

Or buy someone who can do his job. Maybe Gouffran should be given a go. He's a hard worker, although whether he'll be able to compete for the long punts from Krul any better has to be debatable.

Thanks for confirming it. Sometimes when I read this thread I wonder if I'm watching a different player to everyone else.

Agree 100%, but not just with Cisse!

If he was contributing a lot to the team but just not getting the goals then I'd be backing him a whole lot more. At the moment his touch and his attitude are awful, he's never been that great at holding up the ball so I'll not crease him too much on that one...

Needs a rest and perhaps a boot up the rear i.e. Gouff up front for a while...

Gouffran may just surprise us also (a la best) and start sticking them in...

Never have I seen someone who has delivered for us so well in the past be rounded on by so many people in such a harsh way.

Craig Bellamy, Jose Enrique, Alan Shearer to name a few off the top of my head :/