Whats your PAR for Newcastle United??

cp40

Was just thinking that as we sit in 5th we are in my 30 odd years supporting the Toon,  above par.

Accepting that its subjective as to when, how long each person has followed us. For me around 8th to 11 th feels like par for the club. We are doing well above that and poorly below.  Wheres your par? whats the reasoning? 

Every year i have supported Newcastle - apart from 09/10 (Championship) and 10/11 (first year back) - i have expected* us to contest for the European places.

*not to be confused with 'predicted'

Being born in October 1993 i'll use our positions since then and divide them.

Just the PL sees us between 8-9th and overall at 9.4

So i'll go with 8-10th as our PAR.

Despite us never finishing in those positions since i've been alive :lol:

Was just thinking that as we sit in 5th we are in my 30 odd years supporting the Toon,  above par.

Accepting that its subjective as to when, how long each person has followed us. For me around 8th to 11 th feels like par for the club. We are doing well above that and poorly below.  Wheres your par? whats the reasoning? 

Feels about the same for me. No reasoning. It just does.

I also usually tend to feel that if we're doing better than Spurs then we're doing all right, and if we're doing worse than them then there's something wrong. This season would seem to be an exception to that rule, though. They're doing exceptionally well, and we're doing all right.

I think the bad/average times have just outweighed the good/great times.

Par for me is probably 9th/10th in the premier league.

yeah thats what I was thinking, my ambition would always be to try for europe- but for most of the time that was way way out of the question.

Every year i have supported Newcastle - apart from 09/10 (Championship) and 10/11 (first year back) - i have expected* us to contest for the European places.

I don't think that's what he's asking...

He said 8th-11th was his par, saying that if we were above that we'd be doing well/if we were below that we'd be doing badly.

I'm saying that anything less than competing for European places would be 'below par', if we're going with the lexical context of the thread. :razz:

He said 8th-11th was his par, saying that if we were above that we'd be doing well/if we were below that we'd be doing badly.

I'm saying that anything less than competing for European places would be 'below par', if we're going with the lexical context of the thread. :razz:

I don't believe that in all your years of supporting the club, we've finished in a European qualifying positions at least 50% of the time ???

I don't believe that in all your years of supporting the club, we've finished in a European qualifying positions at least 50% of the time ???

Is this about mean, mode and median? I don't know if i've got the wrong end of the stick or what.

Every year, bar that one in the Championship and the first year back, i have expected/thought we should be/'demanded' we have a stab at qualifying for Europe. Obviously there have been several occasions where we haven't because we've turned out to be shit.

A club like Newcastle should be in the top 8. That is the requirement i set for the club (as the stereotypical deluded Newcastle fan). I'm sure supporters of other clubs feel the same way.

???

If i was to tot up all the finishing places since i've been born, it would be the same as TheGuv's.

If a man WAS to calculate a par by totting up all the league positions since he first went to a match/was born/whatever, what should he figure for those seasons we were out of the top flight?

i would say you count down the leagues as if there were no divisions, ie 1 to 96?

If a man WAS to calculate a par by totting up all the league positions since he first went to a match/was born/whatever, what should he figure for those seasons we were out of the top flight?

i would say you count down the leagues as if there were no divisions, ie 1 to 96?

Fair enough.