Overperforming or Where we Belong?

Minhosa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song has been very good this season.

Aye, he's been brilliant for them for a while now. Really evolved his game since he was just destroy/pass sideways.

An Arsenal supporting mate of mine says he's the player he dreads most being out apart from Van Persie.

It's interesting that there not long ago so many Arsenal supporters were screaming at Wenger to buy an anchor man in midfield. Wenger knew he had a perfectly good one in the pipeline.

See, as much as I rate Song as a footballer I'm still convinced he's a brilliant holding midfielder. He's great on the ball, got good physical qualities and his passing is fantastic at times but the one thing he falls down on (and is crucial as a holding midfielder) is tactical discpline and knowing when and how to do what. I actually think Arteta does the role of the sitting midfielder, intercepting passes, knowing when to go forward and when to sit, when to plug gaps etc etc far more than Song does. He's much more switched on tactically than Song is.

None of those answers really sum up what I think. It's not a freak and it's not necessarily 'where we belong'. Next year I'd expect us to be in and around the top 8 but not necessarily getting into Europe again. Our squad will need strengthening to cope with Europe massively.