Overperforming or Where we Belong?

Minhosa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I don't believe in over-performing like. We're either lucky or performing to our full potential, or a bit of both.

I think what pundits often fail to do is actually watch in detail the sides they deride, we have  very good team, alot didnt realise that until recently.  Just because we dont spend 25 million on a player doesnt mean they are shit.  Now pretty much all of our first team, Simpson, Williamson, obertan aside would get in most sides in this division, though those 3 also would get in alot but I mean the rest pretty much have the talent to fit into even the top sides.

Probably, but looking at our current team compared to other I would be expecting 7th.

Sitting in 5th, which I wouldn't say is overperforming for our spine of Krul, Colo, Taylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse and Ba. Throw Santon in too as he's looking good. Jonas does a good job, but wouldn't say he's a top 6 player. Simpson overperforming and not really got a decent right midfielder to speak of.

A bit more strength and depth, and improving those 3/4 positions and we wouldnt be far off a side expecting to finish top 6.

We are where we deserve to be. The makings of a top team isn't just about free flowing exciting football, it is about grinding out results when they need to. The likes of Man Utd have off days, where they just aren't penetrating and lack ideas, but they manage to grind out a 1-0 (quite a few of these last season) - They won the league. The famous '1-0 to the Arsenal' reminds me of them grinding out results and closing out games.

IMO, we are no-where near the quality of those teams at their best, but we certainly have the potential with a bit of time and a squad that has very few leaving the club (thus strengthening) and quality young players continuing to come in (which Europe will encourage). We haven't played 'pretty' football, but we have done what has been necessary to grind out the results! Fortunate at times, but a winning mentality and 'never say die' attitude is working at the moment and with a strong finish, it will help us attract top players and help us push on. So why not... next year 5-7th - the potential for some competitive seasons ahead (the positive kind of competitive!)

So why not... next year 5-7th - the potential for some competitive seasons ahead (the positive kind of competitive!)

So 5th to 7th this year is out of the question?

The thread is about whether we're overachieving and if we can do this again next year.

So why not... next year 5-7th - the potential for some competitive seasons ahead (the positive kind of competitive!)

So 5th to 7th this year is out of the question?

The thread is about whether we're overachieving and if we can do this again next year.

Point taken - and respect to Quailman.

I would say that I think we are where we belong. We have ridden our luck and of course every top side does that. But we have also had some pivotal things go against us, the Luis sending off against Chelsea being one, also I thought we did enough to get the points against Swansea and the Fulham result was, shall we say, warped. There have been massive moments in most of our games that have influenced the result, and mostly through sheer guts we have come out ahead. Finally and I'm talking blind here but it seems to me that we haven't had our share of penalties yet - stats anyone? 

I wasn't referring to Cronky in particular btw.

Aye. I even specifically pointed out not on this forum. :lol: Thought it was pretty clear the quoting had taken a more generalised context than aiming at ripping Cronky's post apart. :dontknow:

So, now that Liverpool have played the same amount of games, no argument. 5th is ours. :snod: Nothing to worry about, just time to push on to 4th! :headbang:

Voted "It's been a freak, we'll be mid table next season", playing in Europe will cause our league form to suffer.  ;)

Really though, it almost feels like we're slightly above where we aimed to be for our 2nd season after promotion, or are progressing slightly too quickly.

Good.

Guest Dontooner

We don't play like a top 6 team nevermind top 4, for those who say Man yoo scrap matches all the time are muppets because it just a figure of speech to describe Man yoo not performing to their usual high standards. They are always fairly consistent and have off matches but they are not the majority of the games, Even when they play s*** football , it would likely eclipse our style any time of the day.

I love the players we are buying now, but generally dont enjoy the football we play as it is too direct and long . However, it probably because i am a football fan as well hence the dilemma ... I think form and luck is temporary since its all up and downs but class and  tactics is consistent and will deliver results over the long run. I am behind the team but there are currently no signs of us being able to replicate this form next season since we are inconsistent as f***. We could do an everton but its was evident to me then that it way out of Moyes dept as it is for Pardew.

Currently, the scouts and club is buying well, hence the improvement in the quality of the players. However if the style and the footy dont catch up with the system of play that would fetch us consistency. In time, the gaffer would be replace for one that might get us there.

We aren't play that good most of time... but we are clinical for most our chance we get in the game... That's which make stand where we are now.... Football is always like that u can play as good as Barca but if u cant take ur chance in the game... u will not get result. Being clinical isn't lucky... it simply because we got talented dangerous bunch of players. If we can raise our play much better & keep being clinical that's premiership title what we aim. So at current position 5 - 7 spot is fair enuff.

When judging on whether we deserve to be where we are in the league right now, I think we also have to bear in mind how über-critical we are with our own team performances. I've been really surprised by reactions from friends, non supporting Newcastle friends, on how they judged us to have played well, after I thought we just scraped a win by playing badly. And their opinions are often backed up with some of the stats that get posted up after games on here.

I think we've played well enough to be where we are right now. And can't wait to have tiote & cabaye back in side. I think they'll both give us that extra boost to finish on a high this season.

Guest Roger Kint

None of those options really. We're doing better than pretty much anyone expected, but considering the players at our disposal I don't think it's a freak really. I also think we're one of the best non-'top teams' in the league, which is quite something considering we were relegated only a few years back.

Depending on what happens in the summer (which obviously depends on what happens in the rest of this season) I would expect us to be challenging for European spots again next year; in and around the top 7.

This basically for me, probably 7th or 8th. Would consider anything more being a fantastic season as long as nothing daft happens off the pitch this summer.....

My issue with the media is that they clearly rate players like : Downing, Adam, Henderson, Song, Walcott, Arshavin etc for no apparent reason. Why because they were signed for bigger money or play for one of the 'top sides'. Personally I wouldn't swap Tiote, Cabaye, Colo for half the shit in Liverpool or Arsenal.

My issue with the media is that they clearly rate players like : Downing, Adam, Henderson, Song, Walcott, Arshavin etc for no apparent reason. Why because they were signed for bigger money or play for one of the 'top sides'. Personally I wouldn't swap Tiote, Cabaye, Colo for half the shit in Liverpool or Arsenal.

song is class

My issue with the media is that they clearly rate players like : Downing, Adam, Henderson, Song, Walcott, Arshavin etc for no apparent reason. Why because they were signed for bigger money or play for one of the 'top sides'. Personally I wouldn't swap Tiote, Cabaye, Colo for half the s*** in Liverpool or Arsenal.

song is class

Aye, used to be a liability but has turned into one of the best holding midfielders in the league.

Guest Super_Hans

We're still underperforming at the moment actually IMO.

We are Newcastle United, a wonderful club with the best supporters and community in the land behind it.

Our natural place is to be title challengers/winners with the whole city buzzing behind the club, 56000 geordies in that ground every week and both the team and the fans showing the rest of the country how special we are, as a club and as a people and basically showing them that we are superior and always will be. At the moment our teams not good enough to be doing that, so IMO, we're still underachieving as that is where we should be.

Guest Super_Hans

Maybe you misunderstood, or I misphrased - when I say it's our natural place. I mean it's where we should be, not where we have tended to be in recent years or where people will expect us to be. But as a club, with our fans, it's where this club should be.

Sorry, I have never been very articlelate

Maybe you misunderstood, or I misphrased - when I say it's our natural place. I mean it's where we should be, not where we have tended to be in recent years or where people will expect us to be. But as a club, with our fans, it's where this club should be.

Sorry, I have never been very articlelate

You articulated it fine, people just like to have a scoff.

FWIW I don't think there's such a thing as where any club 'should be', throughout history clubs come and go from the top spots. But we're a massive club and we should aim high. As long as we don't expect too much or fail to give credit for a good season I don't see the problem with it.

We are Newcastle United, a wonderful club with the best supporters and community in the land behind it.

Our natural place is to be title challengers/winners with the whole city buzzing behind the club, 56000 geordies in that ground every week and both the team and the fans showing the rest of the country how special we are, as a club and as a people and basically showing them that we are superior and always will be. At the moment our teams not good enough to be doing that, so IMO, we're still underachieving as that is where we should be.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

I know. We've had some thick mackems on here but this bloke takes it to a new level.

My issue with the media is that they clearly rate players like : Downing, Adam, Henderson, Song, Walcott, Arshavin etc for no apparent reason. Why because they were signed for bigger money or play for one of the 'top sides'. Personally I wouldn't swap Tiote, Cabaye, Colo for half the s*** in Liverpool or Arsenal.

I think the media have been giving Downing, Adam, Henderson and Arshavin (and to an extent, Walcott) a fair bit of stick, actually. The only time they were really up their arses (the Liverpool players anyway) was at the beginning of the season, when we didn't know how the whole thing would pan out. Even then, everyone thought that Henderson was over-priced, a fair few thought the same about Downing.