Overperforming or Where we Belong?

Minhosa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Overachieving imo.  I wouldn't be surprised for us to play exactly what we have the last month and get only 1 victory instead of 3.

people want pardew sacked.?? ???

After a couple of dodgy results a few weeks back.

They didn't, like.

If there's anything more to be read between the lines of the rhetorical question "Wasn't Hughton sacked after similar results" I'd be curious to know what it is. 

It was me who posted that. I was questioning the sacking of Hughton (again). Why would I want a mental decision to be repeated?

If you can find a post where I said I thought Pardew should be sacked I'll be impressed, because there isn't one.

I - and I think I'm not alone in this - read that in a sarcastic tone; as in why is Pardew getting a pass when Hughton was sacked for <whatever the form #'s were>, clearly Pardew should be on or near the chopping block.  Questions stated like that are kind of open to more than just a literal interpretation on their own, especially when posted during a bad run of games. :tongue:

I'll try to interpret your posts without nuance or subtlety from now on :lol:

edit: btw didn't remember that as you, actually ... fairly sure there was another.

Pretty sure I posted it with a rolling eyes smiley, and shortly after clarified it with a post about definitely not wanting another change of manager mid-season. But yeah, my point was that it was ludicrous to sack Hughton on such a small run of bad results. We were told that Pardew was an upgrade, so that larger run of bad results in theory could lead to another sacking.

IIRC the backdrop to all this was a discussion over whether or not Pardew could be criticised and to what degree, with many making out that because of our early form he was somewhat untouchable. When things weren't going so well (at one point we were rock bottom of the form table and playing shite) then people like me started piping up saying 'What about now? Can we criticise now he's on a worse run than that which saw his predecessor replaced?'. I didn't want Hughton sacked and I didn't want Pardew sacked.

Fair enough on your edit btw, but I think I posted that question word for word. So yeah, it was me.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Definitely helps that the top teams aren't actually all that good. Man Utd, for example, have rarely looked poorer.

to crow bar another thread idea in...... Man u look below par, as do arsenal,+ chelsea,  liverpool look par-ish. man city have bought an above par team.

Chelsea bought their success, which forced other teams to overspend to catch up and compete (except Arsenal), all of that is coming back on them now. Man U have little money, Chelsea are trying to tone their spending down, Arsenal have lost their stars to other teams and most of the youngsters they had high hopes for never really developed into the stars. Pretty sure we all know what's happened at Liverpool over the last 5 years, came close to their peak and have fallen drastically thanks to mismanagement at various levels.

Man City have carte blanche and yet Manchini is STILL struggling to make it count. 

Tottenham have assembled a good squad, but would that same squad be where it is now 5 seasons ago? Basically the same question posed against us.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Tottenham have assembled a good squad, but would that same squad be where it is now 5 seasons ago?

Yes.

Be very interesting as above though plus when Harry leaves.

Aye, it would be the season they finished 5th anyway.  :lol: :blush:

Guest neesy111

Yes.

Be very interesting as above though plus when Harry leaves.

Hopefully they'll lose saggy face on Tuesday.

:lol:

Definitely helps that the top teams aren't actually all that good. Man Utd, for example, have rarely looked poorer.

to crow bar another thread idea in...... Man u look below par, as do arsenal,+ chelsea,  liverpool look par-ish. man city have bought an above par team.

Chelsea bought their success, which forced other teams to overspend to catch up and compete (except Arsenal), all of that is coming back on them now. Man U have little money, Chelsea are trying to tone their spending down, Arsenal have lost their stars to other teams and most of the youngsters they had high hopes for never really developed into the stars. Pretty sure we all know what's happened at Liverpool over the last 5 years, came close to their peak and have fallen drastically thanks to mismanagement at various levels.

Man City have carte blanche and yet Manchini is STILL struggling to make it count. 

Tottenham have assembled a good squad, but would that same squad be where it is now 5 seasons ago? Basically the same question posed against us.

Not convinced about that at all, weren't they saying the same last year? Spent £50m on Torres just 12 months ago, and £80m+ for this season.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not convinced about that at all, weren't they saying the same last year? Spent £50m on Torres just 12 months ago, and £80m+ for this season.

Trying.

Can't see them spending much more like, unless these Financial Fair Play rules are just a load of bollocks that clubs have sussed out already.  :undecided:

Guest neesy111

Whey even if he doesn't go down he's pretty much nailed on to leave for England in the summer. A massive decision for the Spurs board to make.

Can see Spurs going all out for a big name as they are in a position to get one.

If they seriously believe "I literally cannot read, write or operate a computer" just burn all the courts to the ground.

I don't think it matters if they believe that anyway, I doubt ignorance is a defence in tax cases. Otherwise anyone could just not bother finding out that they had to pay tax and get away with it.

is that the end of the trial, tues?

I think the jury go out on Tuesday so it will depend on the speed of verdict.

if hes guilty- surely lester piggot and ken dodd agree he has to go down?

Guest michaelfoster

8% have said we should be challenging top 4, think we should be looking at 6th/7th every season and go from there, still along way from the CL place teams IMO.

Running the club on a sound financial basis, avoiding aged high cost risky transfers, having a good scouting system, could be the forumla that gets the club to where it has always had  the potential to be, maybe, or maybe not.

:thup:

8% have said we should be challenging top 4, think we should be looking at 6th/7th every season and go from there, still along way from the CL place teams IMO.

I've always been of the school of thought that the risk of investing heavily in order to push on for European places (well, top four really) would never happen under Ashley and I still think that however, even he must have been tempted to do the maths on the potential returns on investing £xm to get us up there with a shout this season.

Will we ever be closer? Would investing another say £15m this window have given us enough of a push to get us over the line into fourth? What would that be worth to us?

It's obviously a risk Vs reward scenario but I wonder if it crossed their minds? That said, using the same logic, would the club even want Europa League qualification?

Just look at Stoke and Fulham and the additional matches have effectively killed their league placings for limited financial return and probable loss of money due to the extra players needed - in Stoke's case at least.