Overperforming or Where we Belong?

Minhosa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Running the club on a sound financial basis, avoiding aged high cost risky transfers, having a good scouting system, could be the forumla that gets the club to where it has always had  the potential to be, maybe, or maybe not.

What we have cried out for, for years.  Now we have it people want paredew sacked or think he isnt good enough.  Whilst sat in 5th apoint below chelsea in 4th who have spent millions.

We seem to have something even lacking some of our top players at times others step up and dig in.

Usually only they top clubs get this but we are now or have managed to harness it.

Are we over preforming ?  i dunno consistant league finishes will be a true measurement, at the moment its all progress.

We have the first team of a top 7 club, we have the squad of a top half club.

We're performing well but a lot of teams are wildly underperforming IMO.

Agree on the first team point but I don't think the likes of Perch, Taylor, Loven, Shola etc would get in many other top half teams so I would say the squad players are bottom 6 quality for the most part.

There's no question the top top sides are underperforming though - and last season was the same with freak results all over the shop. Unless that's the new normal?

Look at the squads of Stoke/Sunderland/Everton et al and then revise your post.

Raylor is not a bottom 6 player, his assist and goals tally proves that.

I disagree. He's a non entity of a player who can swing in a decent cross/free kick.

If we could wheel him on for free kicks and corners and then take him back off throughout the match then I'd agree but as we can't his constant presence on the pitch limits us as any form of fluid force in my opinion.

He is a grafter though.

I agree with Beren's post mostly. Points-wise we are definitely over-performing, yet at the start of the season after the players we brought in I must admit I was expecting us to be a lot more fluid and less direct. It still rankles to see us launch so many long balls from the back but on the plus side we defend well as a team. Hopefully as we get all the players back from injury and new players settled in we'll see the passing side develop...because without it we won't kick on.

I've thought for a while that Pardew can build a "Ferguson-light" career here if he plays his cards right and our scouts continue to do their job. This club has massive potential but we're so used to disappointment.

I'm not saying we will go beyond what KK and Bobby achieved necessarily, but these have the potential to be some exciting times.

For me as well, it's nice to be able to genuinely like our players and want them to do well, rather than c-words like Owen, Luque et al who were total disgraces who happened to be wearing the black and white. The character of the squad is excellent.

So I'm not sure whether we're overperforming or not, but we've engineered a position where we can progress while the clubs around us are struggling, and that's all that's needed to invade the top few places regularly. And you haven't been able to say that about NUFC for a long time.

None of those options really. We're doing better than pretty much anyone expected, but considering the players at our disposal I don't think it's a freak really. I also think we're one of the best non-'top teams' in the league, which is quite something considering we were relegated only a few years back.

Depending on what happens in the summer (which obviously depends on what happens in the rest of this season) I would expect us to be challenging for European spots again next year; in and around the top 7.

once again i agree with our very own admin. think the clubs target should be top 7 every year and i dont think the club will aim higher /when it comes to spending money. It will be too risky to have a budget depending on CL...ashley will never do it and wisely i think. We should keep doing what we are doing...our new strategy is the way forward....and every year some of the best 6 teams (man u, chelsea, spurs, arsenal, liverpool & city) will fail to deliver and thats where we have to be and challenge them for 4-5-6th place.

imagine if we kept our profiles in the summer and added a few (maybe 2 more). then we could challenge everything!

krul

santon  taylor/(new)    colo      new lb

tiote   

cabaye

arfa                        jonas/new

ba 

cisse

thats very close to a very very mean side. hope we will be able to see something like this develop over the next couple of years :love:   

wouldn´t mind keeping taylor....maybe just a new left side. like jonas he would be good of the bench as well.                     

people want pardew sacked.?? ???

After a couple of dodgy results a few weeks back.

They didn't, like.

If there's anything more to be read between the lines of the rhetorical question "Wasn't Hughton sacked after similar results" I'd be curious to know what it is. 

They didn't, like.

If there's anything more to be read between the lines of the rhetorical question "Wasn't Hughton sacked after similar results" I'd be curious to know what it is. 

It was me who posted that. I was questioning the sacking of Hughton (again). Why would I want a mental decision to be repeated?

If you can find a post where I said I thought Pardew should be sacked I'll be impressed, because there isn't one.

They didn't, like.

Oh you kno who i was talking to outside of the forum?

A couple of people were saying on here that they were waiting for him to be sacked or along those lines.

They didn't, like.

A couple of people were saying on here that they were waiting for him to be sacked or along those lines.

No, sorry. Assumed you meant on here. You must have mongs fools for mates. :razz: ;)

HTT and Mick are the only ones I can think of who have expressed serious reservations about his tactics etc and wondered if we could replace him with someone better. I don't necessarily agree with them but that's not the same as 'wanting him sacked' which IMO is hyperbole.

They didn't, like.

No, sorry. Assumed you meant on here. You must have mongs fools for mates. :razz: ;)

HTT and Mick are the only ones I can think of who have expressed serious reservations about his tactics etc and wondered if we could replace him with someone better. I don't necessarily agree with them but that's not the same as 'wanting him sacked' which IMO is hyperbole.

Never said they were mates either  :lol:

Guest neesy111

Perhaps it shows how much the quality of the Premiership has dropped? Obviously its favoured everyone else but the 'bigger' clubs don't look half as good as they were 5-10 years ago.

This.  Quality of games isn't anywhere near where it was 10 years ago despite what Sky say.

They didn't, like.

Never said they were mates either  :lol:

Definitely divs then. :snod:

:okay:

They didn't, like.

It was me who posted that. I was questioning the sacking of Hughton (again). Why would I want a mental decision to be repeated?

If you can find a post where I said I thought Pardew should be sacked I'll be impressed, because there isn't one.

I - and I think I'm not alone in this - read that in a sarcastic tone; as in why is Pardew getting a pass when Hughton was sacked for <whatever the form #'s were>, clearly Pardew should be on or near the chopping block.  Questions stated like that are kind of open to more than just a literal interpretation on their own, especially when posted during a bad run of games. :tongue:

I'll try to interpret your posts without nuance or subtlety from now on :tongue:

edit: btw didn't remember that as you, actually ... fairly sure there was another.

Definitely helps that the top teams aren't actually all that good. Man Utd, for example, have rarely looked poorer.

to crow bar another thread idea in...... Man u look below par, as do arsenal,+ chelsea,  liverpool look par-ish. man city have bought an above par team.