AVB And The Chelsea Team Rebuilding

NG32

Spending £75 million last Jan on those two was a nightmare like. Hard to begin the rebuilding process when you start with two complete duds.

Aye, Luiz went from a success in his first few games, to a horrible defender. I defended Ramires last year when he was pisspoor (and I was right) but Luiz is fucking indefensible. So fucking shit I cringe everytime I see him picked for the national side.

As people have said, one of the main problems with Chelsea has been the reluctance to blood young talent. They are certainly not, nor have been, an 'evolving' side. OCK's right - they've rested heavily upon the likes of Cole, Terry, Lampard, Essien, Drogba for a long time without any foresight as to how a transition can be made. Shit is hitting the fan in many respects - in so far as even the players brought in by AVB are not particularly doing well. That said, they're still 5th with the same points as Arsenal. Not bad considering really - although I do accept that for most Chelsea fans this isn't good enough given their success in recent years.

Villas-Boas is starting a project that needed to be gradually started 5 years ago - the slow progress of phasing on set of players out and replacing them with a new (younger) group of players. Sadly, Chelsea's constant change of manager always meant that that change was going to be second thought - if thought about at all.

The core group of players - Terry, Lampard, Essien, Cole, Drogba - have been there so long now that they've achieved too much power (you could argue rightly so based on all they've won). Seemingly that was one of the reasons they were dropped against Napoli last night, and why there is tension between players and coaches.

Villas-Boas has perhaps been a little arrogant/ignorant thinking he'd be able to remodel a team like Chelsea, who have had a core set up up to play methodical football. For the last 10 years their reliance on certain players has become stronger and stronger, compounded by changes of managers who sit back and rely on them again and don't look to change what is a 'successful' set up. Another 2 years goes by another manager, and another reliance on the same players. 2 years more another manager same situation. Suddenly those players who were in their prime have aged and declined and no-one has really noticed.

Finally, a NEW manager comes in again, only he has his own ideas and goes about implementing them straight away.

Those core players aren't happy at being overlooked and being tried outside of their comfort zone - sitting deep, playing it methodically, leaving all the creativity to 'one guy' (Mata, Deco, Robben, Lampard at one point). You'd think that Chelsea had an amazing squad, but most of their players are very similar, as they've been there so long.

Given time and control I believe Villas-Boas will turn it around at Chelsea. It may take a 'poor' season to achieve that in the process, but I think this is as good as season as any to start the process. Premier League is as poor as I can remember it - Man U are rather poor by their standards, Arsenal are weaker, Liverpool we're all aware about.

Sack Villas-Boas and who do you replace him? Jose Mourhino? Will he attempt to remould the club or will be happy to use a set of players who already know his football philosophy for another 1-2 years before their legs drop off? This change has been coming for a while, sadly it seems that Villas-Boas will be blamed for it failing/changing a winning formula.

Great post.

:thup:

OCK has got it absolutely spot on. Personally I'd give him the time, but they do need a bit of an overhaul and that's easier said than done in football. Especially when other clubs are aware of it and will set crazy asking prices for their players.

I do hope he gets time, must have one of the toughest dressing rooms in the league, it  sounds like there is faction after faction, Mourinho saying things like he fancies a return to England doesn't help either.

Plus he has nice hair and has said some lovely things about Sir Bobby so cut him some slack.

Whoever succeeded Ancelotti would've had the same problem - you can't stop ageing. AVB is unlucky in that respect because the ageing group have too much power, making a simple transition almost impossible to do. He'll be a very good manager, but he should never have taken this job after 18 months in management - should've stayed at Porto and waited for some other sucker to try and shift Lampard, Drogba etc. If Abramovich had brains, he'd stick with AVB and trust him to sort this out over the summer - their best player, Mata, is his own signing.

But he's going, without doubt. Once the media start their campaigns, it only ends one way.

I do hope he gets time, must have one of the toughest dressing rooms in the league, it  sounds like there is faction after faction, Mourinho saying things like he fancies a return to England doesn't help either.

Plus he has nice hair and has said some lovely things about Sir Bobby so cut him some slack.

I'm not so sure about the hair, think he needs a new style for next season.

Arsenals team dies, replaced with kids with potential that's very rarely filled.

Chelsea's team dies, not replaced at all and hung on to in to their mid 30's.

Manu's team dies, replaced with big money signings throughout, staggered so players can settle and grow in to the team.

Liverpool team dies, good, wankers.

As people have said, one of the main problems with Chelsea has been the reluctance to blood young talent. They are certainly not, nor have been, an 'evolving' side. OCK's right - they've rested heavily upon the likes of Cole, Terry, Lampard, Essien, Drogba for a long time without any foresight as to how a transition can be made. Shit is hitting the fan in many respects - in so far as even the players brought in by AVB are not particularly doing well. That said, they're still 5th with the same points as Arsenal. Not bad considering really - although I do accept that for most Chelsea fans this isn't good enough given their success in recent years.

They've spent a fortune as well haven't they on their youth development? Which so far has yielded them fuck all.

That coat makes him look like a rapist. Football managers need fat ties not thine ones. Needs a makeover. Wenger's sleeping bag isn't helping him either. Both need touchline reboots. :)

It's quite an effeminate little number he has.

Arsenals team dies, replaced with kids with potential that's very rarely filled.

Manu's team dies, replaced with big money signings throughout, staggered so players can settle and grow in to the team.

Nice punchline. It's all true as well and everyone could see it happening. People have been saying Chelsea have had an old squad for the past three years. Everyone has seen and can see how Liverpool's squad is the worst in over twenty years. Man U have begun the process but they need a creative midfielder more than anything else, Arsenal.... I don't even know what's going on there, they have so many players who just don't impact on games. Only four years ago, they were still capable of rinsing teams regularly, nowadays I have little confidence that they'll even dominate the game never mind put three or four away

That coat makes him look like a rapist. Football managers need fat ties not thine ones. Needs a makeover. Wenger's sleeping bag isn't helping him either. Both need touchline reboots. :)

It's quite an effeminate little number he has.

No wonder the team is getting mixed signals: AVB the effeminate rapist.

Nice punchline. It's all true as well and everyone could see it happening. People have been saying Chelsea have had an old squad for the past three years. Everyone has seen and can see how Liverpool's squad is the worst in over twenty years. Man U have begun the process but they need a creative midfielder more than anything else, Arsenal.... I don't even know what's going on there, they have so many players who just don't impact on games. Only four years ago, they were still capable of rinsing teams regularly, nowadays I have little confidence that they'll even dominate the game never mind put three or four away

Even Torres said it.

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Chris-Hughton.jpg

Style and grace.

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Chris-Hughton.jpg

Style and grace.

Fat tie check

Big fuck off collars check

Cuddly jumper check

They've spent a fortune as well haven't they on their youth development? Which so far has yielded them fuck all.

Yup. To be honest, I'm struggling to think of any players brought through by Chelsea's youth system that have even gone on to become a regular, decent, player elsewhere. Was Scott Sinclair a Chelsea youth product?

He is clearly the wrong appointment in that he commands no respect or influence. They should go get Mourinho back end of season and back him.

depends why he was appointed, if it was to win everything immediately then yes...if it was to build for the future then it's fuckin stupid to even talk about it

why sign a manager who in his 30's (iirc) with little experience at a club like that if you're not gonna back him long term?  if he goes soon they deserve to rot - another of bobby's boys lest we forget