AVB And The Chelsea Team Rebuilding

NG32

As people have said, one of the main problems with Chelsea has been the reluctance to blood young talent. They are certainly not, nor have been, an 'evolving' side. OCK's right - they've rested heavily upon the likes of Cole, Terry, Lampard, Essien, Drogba for a long time without any foresight as to how a transition can be made. Shit is hitting the fan in many respects - in so far as even the players brought in by AVB are not particularly doing well. That said, they're still 5th with the same points as Arsenal. Not bad considering really - although I do accept that for most Chelsea fans this isn't good enough given their success in recent years.

They've spent a fortune as well haven't they on their youth development? Which so far has yielded them fuck all.

Yup. To be honest, I'm struggling to think of any players brought through by Chelsea's youth system that have even gone on to become a regular, decent, player elsewhere. Was Scott Sinclair a Chelsea youth product?

Nop. They poached him from somewhere else.

He is clearly the wrong appointment in that he commands no respect or influence. They should go get Mourinho back end of season and back him.

depends why he was appointed, if it was to win everything immediately then yes...if it was to build for the future then it's fuckin stupid to even talk about it

why sign a manager who in his 30's (iirc) with little experience at a club like that if you're not gonna back him long term?  if he goes soon they deserve to rot - another of bobby's boys lest we forget

Absolutely, but they've never openly said it's a long term project as such (maybe wrong). Based on their hiring and firing of the managers since Mourinho, it seems they do want short term success most of all. Perhaps they thought AVB would give them both short and long term success.

I guess what the point I'm making is that if they were looking for a trophy of any kind this year, AVB wasn't that right man. If they accept finishing out of the top 4 but backing him to invest in building a new side to challenge in 2 or 3 years then he would be an ideal candidate.

Rather worrying that so many senior players seem to have no respect for him like, it's disgusting really if the media reports are true.

I would say AVB is the "closest" the be the right man.  In fact, no one is up to the job except Jose Mourinho. He is the only one in the world who has the right and power to put an end to the likes of Lampard, Drogba, Terry, since he is the one that establish "the Chelsea style".

It is a very, very difficult job. Fair play to AVB, he has tried his best, and to me he isn't a "shit" manager, just not Jose Mourinho.

But seriously tho, Roman has to make a big choice...the old players or AVB.

why sign a manager who in his 30's (iirc) with little experience at a club like that if you're not gonna back him long term? 

These two hit the nail on the head really.The short termism in football currently is awful, I'm not sure to what extent this is media driven but it certainly doesn't help.

Getting rid of one of the best managers in the world and replacing him with an unproven bloke the same age as some of their senior players has proved to be a stupid decision. Who'd have guessed it?

I'll say this, I wouldn't have Petr Cech in our net if he paid us for the privilege. Gone from being one of the best in the world to a complete joker.

Getting rid of one of the best managers in the world and replacing him with an unproven bloke the same age as some of their senior players has proved to be a stupid decision. Who'd have guessed it?

I'll say this, I wouldn't have Petr Cech in our net if he paid us for the privilege. Gone from being one of the best in the world to a complete joker.

Chelsea's problems pre-date AVB, it's really got little to do with managerial changes. They're currently fifth. This time last year they were also fifth. Considering plenty of their players are one year older and further into the decline, being just 1 point off what they had last season having played the same number of games isn't too bad.

Just need to bite the bullet and fully remove the deadwood shite (Cech, Malouda, Lampard, Drogba) and the obvious newer ones. Not convinced Luiz or Torres will ever come good. What happened to Romeu? he looked canny.

These days AVB, to me, is a man who seems to be lacking in confidence. The fact that he said that he wanted "public backing from Abramovich" says it all for me, here we have a man who is clearly feeling the pressure and as a result, it's affected his confidence. It also doesn't help he has to deal with the many egos in the dressing room. He simply can't stamp his authority on the dressing room, Terry and others probably believe that they "know better" than a "relative unknown".

The AVB project is the right move for Chelsea's future, they simply can't rely on the likes of Terry, Lampard anymore, it's time to bring in the young talent into the side (he did, after all sign many youngsters in both transfer windows). Dropping Lampard at the start of the season was just the beginning. Villas-Boas should be given a chance imo - sacking him now will only create further problems for Chelsea.

His main problem is lack of adjustment on his part. It was clear early on that his high line wasn't going to work with this squad, now its February and he still hasn't found the right system. He also should've made a few more additions in the summer, it was always necessary for his project. Regardless, like others have said it's either AVB or some 30-year olds who are clearly not good enough anymore, the decision is already made.

Guest Howaythetoon

If he's given time and allowed to style and shape his own side and allowed to get rid of whoever he wants or needs to get rid of, with Chelsea's money and obvious attraction to players and their ability to pay top wages, he will do well there. If not, he'll flop badly. It all depends on what Chelsea want.

They must accept, however, that they will never dominate as they did under Mourinho, they will have to fight for any trophy never mind the FA Cup because there is more competition, especially with Man City who can outspend them. Then there is Man Utd, who will always compete and of course Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs, all with aspirations of competing and challenging for every honour.

Chelsea will always be successful, but not every season and in every competition and I think they have to accept that otherwise they will go through more managers and turnover more players than anyone which will only lead to less success, which they simply cannot allow to happen. Man City will find this out soon too.

Reading their forums there seems to be a range of opinions but a general understanding of what the problem is.

Or maybe they just seem really  reasonable because the last other club's forum I looked at to gauge reaction to soemthing was the RAWK hivemind.

"Oh come on - if you really think player power isn't way OTT at Chelsea then you're very niave. JT has even been quoted in the past on how he and other senior players have been consulted on decisions concerning managers. How many managerial departures in recent years have had something to do with players - Grant, Scolari and even Jose (he fell out with JT the day before, funnily enough) all left because the players didn't want them. There are some huge egos there who think they know more about football than a manager who won four trophies last year and think they have the right to run the club - someone is going to have to take a stand against them. Usually players have to prove themselves to new managers - at our club it's the complete opposite, and that is simply out of order."

from the Chesea forum

You'll not make a goalkeeping coach... Cech is still a very good GK...

Cech is living on past glories. He really hasn't been the same since the Stephen Hunt incident...

Cech is living on past glories. He really hasn't been the same since the Stephen Hunt incident...

I think it was the Turkey comeback.

He's not been the same I totally agree with... But to say he is a joke is a joke in itself...

But i think problem isn't just the manager.... Chelsea is too much Grafter players on their side... perhaps miss trained them (their academy & coach team isnt that good). Obi mikel when young his ability look like xavi when he wasnt in chelsea yet... how can he lose his passing vision after join Chelsea... make wonder why? Those youngling that been recruited by chelsea supposed to be the next best players in the world.