The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

If that tackle had been in the middle of the pitch with a normal player then the game would have continued and then the player yellow carded when the ball went dead. So why hasnt Cech been red carded?

Because the yellow card then is for the foul, not for denying a goal.

Exactly.

Guest bimpy474

You see people being brought back for a yellow card after the advantage has happened.  Shouldn't it be a red card here?

The offence is denying a goal scoring opportunity. The opportunity hasn't been denied so no red card.

Doesn't quite work that way, you can give advantage anywhere on the pitch and go back and book or send someone off, but when its the GK and advantage is played it never happens.

Its like an unwritten rule, just very odd.

Be a bit hard to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity elsewhere on the pitch mind.

True but its advantage played i was more aiming at, wherever it is on the pitch the ref can go back and give any punishment he feels, if advantage was played after a yellow/red card offence, yet with the GK it never happens if that advantage leads to a goal.

You see people being brought back for a yellow card after the advantage has happened.  Shouldn't it be a red card here?

The offence is denying a goal scoring opportunity. The opportunity hasn't been denied so no red card.

Doesn't quite work that way, you can give advantage anywhere on the pitch and go back and book or send someone off, but when its the GK and advantage is played it never happens.

It's not- the offence is 'denying a goal scoring opportunity', he hasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity as a goal has been scored. It's perfectly clear within the rules. If the foul itself is worthy of a RC then it would be a red card.

But the intent to do it was there. We see it week in and week out where plenty of teams get punished not for the foul but for the intent.

Be a bit hard to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity elsewhere on the pitch mind.

True but its advantage played i was more aiming at, wherever it is on the pitch the ref can go back and give any punishment he feels, if advantage was played after a yellow/red card offence, yet with the GK it never happens if that advantage leads to a goal.

He should have been booked. Am pretty sure it actually says in the rules or a fifa guidebook or something that if advantage is played when a clear goal scoring opportunity is denied then the ref can go back and book the player, but not send them off.

If that tackle had been in the middle of the pitch with a normal player then the game would have continued and then the player yellow carded when the ball went dead. So why hasnt Cech been red carded?

Because the yellow card then is for the foul, not for denying a goal.

I applaud your efforts to educate the masses :thup: keep fighting the good fight :lol:

:lol: It is a tricky one to explain so can understand why people are confused- probably because it's the only cardable offence in football which is determined by the situation of the game rather than the seriousness of the foul.

Seriously man, you cannot send him off for "denying a goalscoring opportunity" when the opposition scored man, if Adebayor had decided to flick it the other way then fair enough, if the referee had pulled play back for the foul then fair enough.

Did Adebayor score though? No. Therefore he was denied a goalscoring opportunity

It's not just about him though, it's Spurs as a team.Spurs weren't denied a goalscoring opportunity because they scored.

He should have been booked. Am pretty sure it actually says in the rules or a fifa guidebook or something that if advantage is played when a clear goal scoring opportunity is denied then the ref can go back and book the player, but not send them off.

Would agree with that.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Stu in condescending shocker.

:lol:

OCK in KNICKers twisted shocker :bluestar:

A small smile for the effort, I guess. Punchline overused.

Guest neesy111

Would agree with that.

Then it seems Atkinson didn't see it a foul ffs.

Guest bimpy474

It's not- the offence is 'denying a goal scoring opportunity', he hasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity as a goal has been scored. It's perfectly clear within the rules. If the foul itself is worthy of a RC then it would be a red card.

Its not completely clear in the rules at all, trust me when i went on the refs course its a clear as mud on so many things, its total madness to be honest, i left the course before the end as i had a stand up row with the instructor over the offside rule. Its people who have never played implementing rules they dont even understand themselves.

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:lol:

By the boat?

I think he was alluding to the fact that the ball was closer to the line on that BAE clearance than it was for Chelsea's 2nd..

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000021499139-1qnuix-original.jpg?ef56891