Ched Evans jailed for 5 years after being found guilty of rape

ponsaelius

Footballer Ched Evans has been jailed for five years for raping a 19-year-old woman, while another player, Clayton McDonald, has been cleared.

Wales and Sheffield United striker Evans, 23, was convicted by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Both he and Port Vale defender McDonald, also 23, had denied rape at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The men admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May, 2011 but said it was consensual.

During the trial, the jury saw video interviews in which the woman, now 20, said she could not remember what happened and feared her drinks were spiked.

She could not remember travelling to the hotel, but woke up in a double bed.

"My clothes were scattered around on the floor," she said.

"I just didn't know how I got there, if I had gone there with anyone. I was confused and dazed."

The court heard that Evans, whose mother lives in Rhyl, had invited McDonald and others for a bank holiday night out in the seaside town on 29 May.

Because there was not enough space at Evans' mother's house, he booked McDonald into the hotel.

Clayton McDonald Defender Clayton McDonald signed for Port Vale last season

The court heard that McDonald met the woman and took her back to the hotel room, sending a text to Evans stating he had "got a bird".

During Evans' evidence, he told the jury he had gone to the hotel, let himself into McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex.

It was claimed McDonald asked if his friend could "get involved", to which the woman said yes.

The prosecution claimed that while the attack happened, Jack Higgins, an "associate" of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Mr Evans' brother, watched through a window.

The court heard the defendants had known each other since they were 10 years old and shared digs when they played for Manchester City's youth academy.

Guest bimpy474

How can they clear McDonald, if isn't guilty of rape, he is guilty of letting the girl get raped, aiding and abetting an offender surely ?

During Evans' evidence, he told the jury he had gone to the hotel, let himself into McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex.

It was claimed McDonald asked if his friend could "get involved", to which the woman said yes.

The prosecution claimed that while the attack happened, Jack Higgins, an "associate" of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Mr Evans' brother, watched through a window

What the flying fuck are these idiots doing? It's all a bit homo-erotic, not that there's anything wrong with that.  :hom:

Whilst I can see this bird getting pissed on her own volition, there's definitely some malicious intent on the part of these morons.

Guest bimpy474

Its the way some of the young uns (and older tbf) are nowadays, definitely a serious lack of respect for everyone and everything.

Guest bimpy474

Just imagine if this was a Liverpool player, how those mongs would blindly defend him.

Ahhhh yes, i can see the "girl was asking for it" "she was a slag" Justice for Evans"

I don't get it. So she says she was spiked, but it was only McDonald who could've done this as he brought her back to his hotel, yet Evans goes down for turning up afterwards, and Mcdonald gets nowt?

All very peculiar.

Guest bimpy474

Mark the date, Liverpool FC will no longer play on the 20th of April after the wrongful conviction of mad rapist magoo, nickname purley coincidental.

Footballer Ched Evans has been jailed for five years for raping a 19-year-old woman, while another player, Clayton McDonald, has been cleared.

Wales and Sheffield United striker Evans, 23, was convicted by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Both he and Port Vale defender McDonald, also 23, had denied rape at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The men admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May, 2011 but said it was consensual.

During the trial, the jury saw video interviews in which the woman, now 20, said she could not remember what happened and feared her drinks were spiked.

She could not remember travelling to the hotel, but woke up in a double bed.

"My clothes were scattered around on the floor," she said.

"I just didn't know how I got there, if I had gone there with anyone. I was confused and dazed."

The court heard that Evans, whose mother lives in Rhyl, had invited McDonald and others for a bank holiday night out in the seaside town on 29 May.

Because there was not enough space at Evans' mother's house, he booked McDonald into the hotel.

Clayton McDonald Defender Clayton McDonald signed for Port Vale last season

The court heard that McDonald met the woman and took her back to the hotel room, sending a text to Evans stating he had "got a bird".

The prosecution claimed that while the attack happened, Jack Higgins, an "associate" of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Mr Evans' brother, watched through a window.

The court heard the defendants had known each other since they were 10 years old and shared digs when they played for Manchester City's youth academy.

First I've really heard on this but yeah how the hell can Evans get done and not McDonald if the girl can't even remember going back to the hotel??

Anyway if he did it he deserves to be sent down.  This his career finished.

Guest BooBoo

Also 5yrs is a ridiculous sentence, that law needs to be changed to have much harsher sentences.

Strange one. I don't think for a second that harsher sentences would affect sexual offences. If people are that inclined, they'll commit these crimes. Lengthy sentences would just put further pressure on prisons that are already at breaking point.