The little things in football

BlueStar

When watching a replay of a goal in slow motion and you see the crowd rise just as the player is about to strike the ball.

Conversely, when there is a slow motion replay and they cut away just before the crowd is able to react. The worst.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Forgot to post about this the other night after the Man City game, walking the dog tonight reminded me:

I was walking the dog past my old primary school that night when I saw a bright blue glow on the horizon to the east. I quickly realized that you can now see the Tottenham Stadium from there. We moved my Mum to a flat overlooking the pitch I played my first proper match on - just down the road from my house - and you can see it even better from her balcony. It’s so tall it’s now visible over houses and flats in between.

I’m not even sure what the little thing is really, just that I felt quite emotional when I realized what I was looking at. It’s the same primary school my Dad went to in the 50s, while he was living in that same house…with his Uncle Cyril who took him to Spurs. We’d walk down that same road together on the way to Spurs games in the 80s.

So I guess that’s what it is. “We sometimes lose sight of what sport is about. I have come to understand this. It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about the connections it makes. It connects people, cities and countries. It connects parents to their children.” Coming back here restores the direct physical connection with the club too - and that really does mean something. Still.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Forgot to post about this the other night after the Man City game, walking the dog tonight reminded me:

I was walking the dog past my old primary school that night when I saw a bright blue glow on the horizon to the east. I quickly realized that you can now see the Tottenham Stadium from there. We moved my Mum to a flat overlooking the pitch I played my first proper match on - just down the road from my house - and you can see it even better from her balcony. It’s so tall it’s now visible over houses and flats in between.

I’m not even sure what the little thing is really, just that I felt quite emotional when I realized what I was looking at. It’s the same primary school my Dad went to in the 50s, while he was living in that same house…with his Uncle Cyril who took him to Spurs. We’d walk down that same road together on the way to Spurs games in the 80s.

So I guess that’s what it is. “We sometimes lose sight of what sport is about. I have come to understand this. It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about the connections it makes. It connects people, cities and countries. It connects parents to their children.” Coming back here restores the direct physical connection with the club too - and that really does mean something. Still.

Love this. :thup:

I explained to a work mate last night that my Dad and his mate went to school together since 5 years old, they went to the matches together from about 10 years old, and now me and Dave's sons have been going together for 34 years, and Tom's son (Dave's Grandson) will be starting to go with us.

Eventually there'll be over a century of that connection. Irreplaceable. 

Edited by Heron

9 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Definitely get this, NUFC is a long root stretching back home, despite not living in the North East since ‘97. I sometimes think living away has oddly made me more partisan than I would’ve been, if I’d stayed in Bedlington.

Good post Leffe. And this is probably for a different thread but it’s where quite a lot of the patronising why don’t they just walk away chat around and after the takeover I found particularly distasteful. Yeah, it doesn’t work like that lads. 

I think Ive posted this before but my parents first met at SJP back in the day. I’m literally a product of the existence of Newcastle United. It is a part of me, it is a part of everyone that goes to games, it’s a part of identity as a human/group/city/region. There is nothing I enjoy more than when on holiday (ideally the more far flung the better) and when you tell someone where you’re from you can have a conversation with them because they know our city and my home.

—-

To get back back on topic, away fans falling over collapsing sponsor boards when they pile forward for a hug with the players

6 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Absolutely loved the

rattle of the bar -- oh! from our fans -- then goal -- roar from our fans 

for our second goal yesterday 

Love owt like this. The wahey from the WBA fans as Neto got tackled a second before he scored was note perfect.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Nice one Cyril