Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Playing Devil's advocate here, but why sign a player for £8m now when we can get him signed to a contract in January, either to sign much cheaper that month or for nowt in the summer?

Lille have added value to the player that does not exist.

I can see the sense of making do, with or without the need to play Danny Simpson, as there are a few alternative options to Simpson if Pardew wishes to use these.

With or without Debuchy I don't think we will finish Top 5 this year, and those alternatives we already have are good enough in the short term, at least until January in my opinion.

So lets be patient.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but why sign a player for £8m now when we can get him signed to a contract in January, either to sign much cheaper that month or for nowt in the summer?

I can see the sense of making do, with or without the need to play Danny Simpson, as there are a few alternative options to Simpson if Pardew wishes to use these.

With or without Debuchy I don't think we will finish Top 5 this year, and those alternatives we already have are good enough in the short term, at least until January in my opinion.

So lets be patient.

Only problem to your plan is he's got 3 year left on his contract not 12month...

So lets be patient.

Only problem to your plan is he's got 3 year left on his contract not 12month...

:thup: :lol:

So lets be patient.

I thought it was only a one year extension he had?

Shows I haven't been paying much attention to football this summer.

I can't figure our transfer strategy out this summer. Why are we targetting Andy Carroll, who costs far more than Debuchy, when we already have Ba and Cisse in the team? Aye we need another striker, but whoever comes in will be 3rd choice. We are looking at massive money for a 3rd choice forward yet we're very reluctant to bid more than a minimal sum for a right back.

If you're playing Newcastle you take one look at the lineup and who are you going to target? That's right, the full backs and espescially Simpson. To an extent Santon too (defensively), but you sense he was growing in confidence last season and much like Enrique before him, I expect him to get better and better.

Considering we'll lose Simpson for nowt in 12 months, it's a no brainer to sell and replace. So take that opportunity to upgrade the team's weakest link while we're at it. It's not every day you get a France international right back saying he wants to come to the Toon, at the very time you're looking for a right back. That's where we should be putting our money, not bids for players like Carroll. Doesn't make sense to me. After publicly chasing Carroll, Lille know we have money to spend.

I appreciate you have to haggle hard, but there comes a point where you risk missing out on a good deal.

A quality ball-playing rb (in a narrow midfield line of three) like Debuchy would given us true midfield width, the ability to spread possession from left-to-right. In a narrow 433 the wingbacks provide that width, and without two book-end FBs (as ball-players, who can anchor themselves around the halfway line & competantly re-direct play) possession retention suffers when opposition presses aggressively through the middle.

The strategy to blunt the attacking potency of our 433, is to aggressively press it through the middle it. Smash it, as Wigan did. With only Santon, as a wide outlet (when the inside three are pressured), we're a lop-sided team in terms of being able to retain possession across the pitch. Wigan best exploited this weakness, with midfield numbers & aggression, when the 433 was in peak form.

The inclusion of Debuchy would've ammended the team's achilles heel. 8m (or Lille's asking price) maybe too much for some. I'm referring to those who may be looking at the deal through Ashley-tinted goggles, strictly from the resale value angle. In terms of benefitting the team, and his arrival would be a massive upgrade to one flank. In this case 8m, or the going-rate, is a no-brainer.

Debuchy, Bigi & Amalfitano (as development projects), with no major departures, would amount to a good transfer window.

you can even do a similar thing within a 4-4-2 if you don't want to restrict ben arfa to providing the width (i'm sure i posted that earlier on in this thread)

Definitely. When there's the luxury having a simple get-out-of-jail outlet, Ben Arfa has the freedom to play his natural game, of drifting inside & pulling the strings aorund the edge of-the-box, with abandon. Ben Arfa has the vision & smarts to develop a wide partnership with a wide running mate >>>> as seen during int.play where he isn't predisposed to keeping his head down & running into blind alleys, forgetting about his supporting fb.

A Debuchy-type of presence puts the wide-defending outfielders into two minds. If they hedge all their bets into coralling HBA on the inside, HBA is smart enough (and he keeps his head up) to utilise a penetrating & damaging fb all afternoon.

Changing tact a bit. Prior to the demolition job Wigan pulled on us, in that game's opening stages, opposing outfield's sat off our midfield trio & concentrated more on shutting the passing lanes to Cisse-HBA-Ba. Quite a few teams gave us too much respect during that form spell. tbh we were always an incomplete 433 (from goal-to-midfield), that was guilty of not having a supporting outlet on both edges of the midfield trio - the inability create a follow-up attacking phase, when the defensive focus is turned-up through the middle. 

Whereas Martinez layed down a blue-print (in that opening 10-20 min exchange) for others to follow now. They completely shut-down our (433) midfield's passing game before it got started. It wasn't necessarily the formation that gave them the edge. It was due more to the symphoning of his midfield & backtracking forwards' defensive focus as hinted at before, and us not having that dual outlet option needed to cope with it. If our right-flank isn't upgraded (either through the acquisition of an additional ball-playing fb, or the fast track development of Tav) the days of our 433 may be numbered.

Not sure if this has been posted - but on talksport Philip Auclair mentioned that there was quite a low release clause in Debuchy's contract, but when he played for France in the Euro's that another clause got activated which increased the amount they'd have to pay to activate it.  And he thinks this could be the sticking point.

If this is true, it explains a lot. We put our first offer in for Debuchy before the Euros, and if that activated the original clause it would explain why the board aren't prepared to meet the higher valuation from Lille.

Maybe I've got out of bed on the right side this morning but I'm actually quite confident he'll move here in the end. We clearly highlighted the player yonks ago and he's clearly been integral to Pardew's plans moving forward. The player wants to come and the two clubs aren't miles apart on the price. Lots of tough talking is said in the moment but it's a game of brinkmanship and Lille know they'll be keeping a player who isn't happy. The very end of the transfer window may change the outlook on this situation.

Start of the season isn't end of the window, tbf.

Modric is still at Spurs

RvP is still at Arsenal.

Debuchy is still at Lille.

Chelsea/Man City haven't even swooped for Catts yet ffs.