Your Europa League Team?

Crumpy Gunt

How would you approach it? Considering we've just bought a load of shit Thursday night games and we have a wafer thin squad. I can't see the sense in risking any of the big guns at least in the early stages. Right midfield and maybe swap the left side. Not much choice up top where the Ameobi's should have it stitched up unless Ranger survives by some miracle.

I honestly think NUFC's squad will struggle with the extra games (but thats an argument for another day)

Elliot (Harper?)

Perch / Williamson / New Player / Raylor

? ? ? ? / Abied / Vuckic / Ferguson

Shola / Sammi

I'd go with something like that until we clear the group stage and get to the final 16. Our squad won't cope with all the games.

edit - Assumed Gutrie and Simpson will be gone.

Guest Roger Kint

Why the hell would we treat the Europa Cup like shit when it not too unlikely we could wait a few more years for another crack at Europe?  :idiot2:

Fairly certain we'll add to the squad. At least with some youth players given the cull we've just  had there. Don't think it will have the largest effect on the team unless we lose players rather than gain some. Seriously doubt things will stay as is squad-wise. Think the main players really want to play in Europe as well rather than just sit on the bench after getting us there, mind. Also don't see the issue, top athletes should be able to cope.

That side would crash in the group stages.

So who would you risk? Room for manouevre could be the incoming players?

I don't think we'll ever go that far in terms of second string, especially the way Pardew has been saying he wants to attack it. He did say we'd have to rely on squad players so I think we'll see a mix up similar to the kind we've fielded in the Carling Cup. If we get through the play-off we're likely to be 3rd seeds in the goups so could have 2 difficult sides to play home and away.

We have been linked to the likes of Amalfitano so I wonder if we're planning on having some competent but cheap squad depth.

Maybe not the greatest team you put out there Crumpy Gunt, but never the less an interesting question. I think we need to rest players as much as possible if we not only want to do well in the EL, but also in the PL. But at the same time we should go for the EL and hence play as good teams as possible.

I think the best way to deal with it is to based the team selection from our best team then see who needs to be rested or see if we have good enough players to fill in for the best players based from our opponent in the PL and who we are playing in the EL.

Anyway. I don´t think it is a good idea to play the same players in every game and competition.

Guest BooBoo

As years go by, it becomes more of a panic that professional players are incapable of playing twice a week. Looking back to the 02/03 season we managed okay despite a lengthy CL campaign and finished 3rd. I can't recall too often playing reserve players unless injuries or suspensions demanded it. Generally it's a myth populated by managers and players to explain their failings.

I'm not saying don't make any changes for the Europa League, but the idea of playing essentially a second team is nonsensical and would make this seasons efforts pretty pointless.

Why the hell would we spend the whole season trying to reach Europe and when we do play the subs?

Think we should give some chances to the likes of Vuckic, Ferguson and Best (if he stays) to play in it but other than that go full strength.

Rotate if required with the intention of winning each game as much as we would in any other competition.

wouldn't it make more sense to drop the entire first team and wing it with reserves and kids though?

:thup: Yep do what most other english teams have done lately and go absofuckinglutely nowhere in that competition!

I think we'll see a strong team in the Europa league, but with the big guns rested on a rotational basis rather than all at once, so maybe 3-4 changes a time from the league side

In the group stages you can play weakened teams if you have a scottish team, a czech team and a slovanian team! lol

But in the following matches you need to be playing your best team over both legs or you can get caught out, if we are going to enter we need to take it seriously.

I would play a mixed team for the "easy" games, but again what happens when we meet a decent team? Get rid of all the reserves and tell them " sorry lads, you were great against the crap sides but we don't trust you against Valencia/Atletico...whoever!", difficult to manage on many fronts...

Step up Pardiola!

no set team. try and integrate some of the youngeters without playing a reserve team, resting first teamers as necessary, also maybe use the opportunity to try out something different (3 centre halves etc)