Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Makes you wonder why Anita goes hiding that often. Despite getting an amazing run of games and with the managers showing great belief in him. Especially after he's done well.

He's had a solid number of games this season, often in decent runs and has looked poor. Nee excuse like (until Carver dropped him for Raylor). He's been poor this season no doubt. Tiote hasn't played since December - Anita has been next in line and he didn't really grab his chances.

What? No he fucking hasn't :lol: He's played in 19 games in all competitions this season, his longest run of games was in January/February when he started five games in a row.

Sunday was his best game in a toon shirt but not convinced he's the midfield answer like.

Far to lightweight

Too lightweight if we are going to get dragged into aerial slugfests with a long ball team, but if we could somehow impose a possession game like the top teams do maybe he could thrive in that environment.

Yes he was brilliant last Sunday but thats doesn't or shouldn't cover up his messed up game time. The clumsy tackle he made with in minutes at Etihad was still fresh in my mind. Overall I was very excited when he sign. I thought he would be he new Seedorf but he is at best squad player.

Rakitic & Busquets are no midgets like.

Fair to say if you are diminutive you have to excel in other areas. Anita doesn't excel in any areas. So mentioning Barcelona players is hilarious. Anita is to Xavi what Colback is to Scholes.

Every great Newcastle United side had athletic, strong central midfielders or at the very least - real ballers (Cabaye). Anita is neither. It's not in our clubs DNA to play "possession" football. We might've dominated possession under SBR or Keegan but that wasn't to win the possession like a Martinez or Rodgers side. You have to play fast, dynamic football to keep the SJP crowd off your back. Forward passes.

Rakitic & Busquets are no midgets like.

Fair to say if you are diminutive you have to excel in other areas. Anita doesn't excel in any areas. So mentioning Barcelona players is hilarious. Anita is to Xavi what Colback is to Scholes.

Every great Newcastle United side had athletic, strong central midfielders or at the very least - real ballers (Cabaye). Anita is neither. It's not in our clubs DNA to play "possession" football. We might've dominated possession under SBR or Keegan but that wasn't to win the possession like a Martinez or Rodgers side. You have to play fast, dynamic football to keep the SJP crowd off your back. Forward passes.

I did have my doubts about Anita's physical stature for the premier league, but I think the fact he's very quick across the ground helps cover for that. He makes less rash challenges than either Colback or Cabaye did as a result. He might not be the long term answer, but that's not necessarily because he's not big enough. I mean Ryan Taylor's bigger and taller but he's not much of a footballer.

Big Vern has always had fans on this forum, and certainly some bit of revisionism has gone on about how bad or ineffective he's been for us. The same posters are easily willing to blame the manager(s) and club apathy for other players' poor performances.

Our most technically gifted midfielder and would absolutely shine under the right manager with the right vision. Since we have never had that, he's struggled sometimes but more often than not has played well.

I stuck up for him for long periods but against Leicester in the FA Cup he didn't resemble a footballer at all. That was the day I eventually gave up on him. He'll never make it in the Premier League - I don't see what attribute he has that ever suggested he could make it here.

I stuck up for him for long periods but against Leicester in the FA Cup he didn't resemble a footballer at all. That was the day I eventually gave up on him. He'll never make it in the Premier League - I don't see what attribute he has that ever suggested he could make it here.

Did you write off the rest of the team then?

Did you write off the rest of the team then?

Nope. I've gave Riviere a few more chances since that day but he appears to be another that will never make it here.

Anita has made 78 appearances for NUFC (according to Wiki) - at a guess I reckon you can count on one hand how many decent performances he's put in. I feel a bit sorry for him - having Alan Pardew in charge basically ruled out the chance of him affecting games.

How is he "technically gifted"? Decent first touch and he can move the ball faster than Colback. I've seen more technical ability on the ball from Jermaine Jenas - and he mostly passed it sideways too.

"Technique" is such an empty word. Let's be specific. Beckham had great technique as did Xavi but in different ways. Having quick feet is technical as you have to manipulate the accurately at speed. A number of ways of striking a ball is technique. A number of ways of manipulating a ball in a pass/shot. Range of passing. Accurate passes under pressure. There's so much to it.

Can't just go around throwing "technically gifted" at any player with a half decent first touch and can pass it decently 10 yards.

I'm not. I'm simply comparing attributes such as his first touch, balance, quickness of feet and passing, ability to accelerate from a stagnant position, winning the ball cleanly, willingness and ability to take players on and actually beat them from time to time, and his dynamism, in comparison to the other wankers we constantly play in his place. In fact, I'm sticking my neck on the line to say he's far more technically gifted than Ryan Taylor, Jonas, Colback or Gouffran, our midfield stalwarts.

How is he "technically gifted"? Decent first touch and he can move the ball faster than Colback. I've seen more technical ability on the ball from Jermaine Jenas - and he mostly passed it sideways too.

"Technique" is such an empty word. Let's be specific. Beckham had great technique as did Xavi but in different ways. Having quick feet is technical as you have to manipulate the accurately at speed. A number of ways of striking a ball is technique. A number of ways of manipulating a ball in a pass/shot. Range of passing. Accurate passes under pressure. There's so much to it.

Can't just go around throwing "technically gifted" at any player with a half decent first touch and can pass it decently 10 yards.

How technically gifted do you have to be as a defensive midfielder? His main role would be to win the ball and move it quickly which he did very well on Sunday. That might also have been helped by us getting forward in numbers for the first time in ages in the second half. It makes pressing the ball a lot easier.

How technically gifted do you have to be as a defensive midfielder? His main role would be to win the ball and move it quickly which he did very well on Sunday. That might also have been helped by us getting forward in numbers for the first time in ages in the second half. It makes pressing the ball a lot easier.

Pressing. Another attribute I forgot to mention, which the likes of Raylor still haven't grasped the concept of.