Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I like Anita, so that may render any opinion on his ability slightly biased. He isn't a star player and he is far from a waste of a shirt.

On Sunday he had a great game, up there for man of the match. He broke up play with a number of good tackles, successful interceptions and pressed the West Ham players which turned possession over to us, enabling us to attack. Basically he fulfilled the purpose of his role in midfield. His passing was good (bar the moment with a loose pass on the 4 v 1) I was impressed that he looked to switch the ball from left to right.

He offers a bit of versatility to squad, although some of his performances at full back were below par. The game away to Manchester City was a poor performance highlighted by the lazy challenge. As a team we aren't blessed with top quality or quantity, but I'd much rather keep Anita than Ryan Taylor, Sammy Ameobi or Gouffran.

How is he "technically gifted"? Decent first touch and he can move the ball faster than Colback. I've seen more technical ability on the ball from Jermaine Jenas - and he mostly passed it sideways too.

"Technique" is such an empty word. Let's be specific. Beckham had great technique as did Xavi but in different ways. Having quick feet is technical as you have to manipulate the accurately at speed. A number of ways of striking a ball is technique. A number of ways of manipulating a ball in a pass/shot. Range of passing. Accurate passes under pressure. There's so much to it.

Can't just go around throwing "technically gifted" at any player with a half decent first touch and can pass it decently 10 yards.

How technically gifted do you have to be as a defensive midfielder? His main role would be to win the ball and move it quickly which he did very well on Sunday. That might also have been helped by us getting forward in numbers for the first time in ages in the second half. It makes pressing the ball a lot easier.

In this thread many talk about his suppsoed great technique - one saying he was the "most technically gifted" midfielder we have. I haven't seen it.

He imposed himself excellently on Sunday no doubt. Won the ball for us numerous times. Interceptions, tackles, closing down. But let's not act like this has been synonymous of him.

I'm not. I'm simply comparing attributes such as his first touch, balance, quickness of feet and passing, ability to accelerate from a stagnant position, winning the ball cleanly, willingness and ability to take players on and actually beat them from time to time, and his dynamism, in comparison to the other w*****s we constantly play in his place. In fact, I'm sticking my neck on the line to say he's far more technically gifted than Ryan Taylor, Jonas, Colback or Gouffran, our midfield stalwarts.

Decent first touch. Doesn't do anything where his balance is tested or quickness of feet to a large degree. Passing? what's great about it? Aye he can run fast but does he often impose himself on games? Beating players? Anita?

I'd rather N'Zonzi. He sounds more like the player you've described.

I just recently watched Sunday's match for the first time, and Anita was fantastic throughout (outside of his ridiculous waste on the 4 v. keeper break). Colback was good too, I thought, and quite progressive with his passing (more so than usual), but Vurnon was MOTM by far. The best performance he has had in three seasons.

Admittedly, this came in a desperation match against a listless West Ham, but hopefully it is a good platform to improve what has thus far been a lacklustre career at the club.

Abied is the most likely to leave out of NUFC's dedicated midfielders, imo. Seems unhappy here, proven elsewhere, and is probably the easiest to sell.

Lacklustre career :lol:

Amazing how our management is blamed for some players' performance, whereas others are being held solely responsible for similar failings.

He's hardly had much of a career here, with dimwit cloggers starting ahead of him. But in any case, at least you seem to have come around after that one performance.

Lacklustre career :lol:

Amazing how our management is blamed for some players' performance, whereas others are being held solely responsible for similar failings.

He's hardly had much of a career here, with dimwit cloggers starting ahead of him. But in any case, at least you seem to have come around after that one performance.

He has made about 80 appearances for the club and has been fairly nondescript for any number of reasons. His career here has not gone well, do you disagree with this statement?

I haven't "come around", either, the guy was just very impressive on Sunday. An authoritative presence, in fact, but anyone can have one good match especially given the varying incentives for the two teams. As I said, hopefully it is a spring board for him to improve and establish himself at the club.

How is he "technically gifted"? Decent first touch and he can move the ball faster than Colback. I've seen more technical ability on the ball from Jermaine Jenas - and he mostly passed it sideways too.

"Technique" is such an empty word. Let's be specific. Beckham had great technique as did Xavi but in different ways. Having quick feet is technical as you have to manipulate the accurately at speed. A number of ways of striking a ball is technique. A number of ways of manipulating a ball in a pass/shot. Range of passing. Accurate passes under pressure. There's so much to it.

Can't just go around throwing "technically gifted" at any player with a half decent first touch and can pass it decently 10 yards.

Anyone who saw the truly sensational dribble he produced against Southampton at home last season - sadly not shown on any highlights - knows that Anita has serious ability on the ball.

Doesn't disguise his general struggle with the physicality of the Premier League, however.

Guest chopey

If carver gets the job Anita and abeid will be the first out of the door, probably replaced by Karl Henry

Don't think any of the top teams have a Vurnon Anita equivalent.

How big are Barcelona's centre midfielders?

:lol: This is easily the most TRon post ever. I didn't mention size you silly gimp.

Anita showed far more on Sunday than Tiote has in years. He stood up and delivered when we needed him. Bar Abeid's run earlier in the season it was the best holding performance I've seen.

:lol: This is easily the most TRon post ever. I didn't mention size you silly gimp.

You didn't. but it's a factor nonetheless. Pardew didn't think he was physical enough for the premier and even in the last few pages he's been described as too lightweight. So might as well get it out there and discuss the pros and cons. Why do you think John Carver preferred Ryan Taylor in midfield ahead of Vurn?

You didn't. but it's a factor nonetheless. Pardew didn't think he was physical enough for the premier and even in the last few pages he's been described as too lightweight. So might as well get it out there and discuss the pros and cons. Why do you think John Carver preferred Ryan Taylor in midfield ahead of Vurn?

DNA?

DNA?

Say what you like about JC but he covers every angle.

DNA?

Say what you like about JC but he covers every angle in shit.

:snod:

Because he's a fucking idiot who probably thought 'over the wall' would score and create goals.

I've got a lot of time for Vurn, chronically misused throughout his time here. He deserves another chance, but under the right management. If it is to be McClaren or Charver then we might as well sell whilst we can get a fee for him.

• 2 months later...

Say what you will about his performance but he understands the role infinitely more than Tioté, who is going to be little more than useless in this system.

Hope he's ok.

Say what you will about his performance but he understands the role infinitely more than Tioté, who is going to be little more than useless in this system.

Hope he's ok.

some of his distribution was poor today but the moment he went off things went south, not for the first time either tbh

Hope he's ok.

Twice the player Colback is, too.

He wasn't that great as an individual, but he makes the whole team so much better just by being there. Tiote fucked the whole entire team up.

it's his movement when he doesn't have the ball, it's always been his strength tbh it just made no odds in a pardew team

noticed mbemba doing similar stuff at the back today actually