Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Yes he completed many a pass tonight but they were all bland and wet in my opinion. He had about twenty opportunities to make a run into space or to carry the ball and draw players in before releasing and he always took THE EASY OPTION. This resulted us in being toothless in the middle of the park. second half he had a five minute spell where I think he suffered a bout of shame and knew he had to make an effort.

As long as it was a one off ...

Played Gouffran through, yeah that was bland.

He is a very, very good player. One of the few players who doesn't just kick the ball away. He also used some very good touches to get himself (and the team) out of trouble.

I wish more of our players would take the easy option (as in a simple pass). Certainly could have helped us out last night instead of kicking it at Distin.

He's so much cleverer than Tiote.

There was a point last night when Tiote tried to go through an Everton player despite comfortably getting to the ball first, about 25 yards from our goal. Needless to say this didn't work and Everton created a chance from it. Thought to myself that had it been Anita he would have just taken a little touch in the opposite direction to the Everton players momentum and had all the time in the world to play it out.

Guest hatem garrincha

I thought he was lost in the first half, too nervous on the ball, not able to impulse the rythm forward, refused too many times a pass to a free Ben Arfa in the left  etc. (don't get me wrong Hatem was shit each time he confronted Coleman, but it was really just 3 or 4 attempts to take him on)

He was better in the second half before Pardew took him off...mainly because Cabaye took the keys of the game in the middle.

Anyway, The midfield 3 should always be : Cabaye - Anita - Sissoko.

Wasn't at the game but going off the extended highlights, I'd say the improved performance probably had more to do with Cabaye than Tiote. I think Pardew will always go back to his tried and trusted combination of those two though. It's unfortunate for Vurnon but just how it is.

Cardiff offered nothing in the way of midfield pressure in the first half, giving Tiote (and the others) time on the ball, making him look like a competent midfielder. The old Tiote came out of the woodwork when Mutch was introduced and ran straight through the center of midfield.

Big Vurn should continue to start.

Actually thought Tiote's lack of pace and awareness had a fair bit to do with their goal. Thought at the time Anita might well have got there to cut that pass out.

I don't remember him being this slow when he arrived. His lack of mobility is really affecting his game now I've noticed.

Anita deserved to be dropped after his last performance. Tiote did bring much more zip, energy and "force" into the midfield, Cabaye kind of made up for his lack of creativity. He still needs to stop lingering on the ball and doing those half turns as he gets caught out too often, but in general the performance from him was much improved.

Didn't think Cardiff's midfield was that great which made it easier for us.

Liverpool up next, not sure if we want a stopper or someone who can make us more fluid for that game, on their present form i would say they are pretty much on a par. Training will dictate it I suppose.

One change I would make is Santon, too salck at the back and is making mistakes, a game or two on the bench might get him more focused.

Actually thought Tiote's lack of pace and awareness had a fair bit to do with their goal. Thought at the time Anita might well have got there to cut that pass out.

I don't remember him being this slow when he arrived. His lack of mobility is really affecting his game now I've noticed.

He seems to have good stamina and can keep running until the end. Just seems that he isn't that quick neither in the mind nor legs.

About par :lol: Anita has been consistently our best midfielder this season, it was a joke to drop him even more than it was to drop Hatem.

Because we won don't change that.

As if Tiote brings more energy and zip as well :lol:

The midfield improved because i don't know if people noticed it but Pardew reshaped the midfield. ( and he deserves credit for that)

Instead of the pivot in front of the back 4 and Cabaye in front, you had Tiote in front of the back 4 and then Cabaye and Sissoko in front.

An actual 3 in midfield instead of a split 2-1 and shock and horror it looks better.... it was also helped by Cabaye's performance as well obviously.

It gave the team a lot more balance and organisation as a whole; Gouffran, Cisse and Remy also performed as a 3 but with Gouffran holding more width and Remy being more narrow of the two wide man and the two CBs were closer together.

All in all it was a lot more organised and balanced outfit, even if we might have a team which could play expansively we don't have the management to do it so seeing how the team lined up against Cardiff and positioned itself through out the game might be the way forward but with some personnel changes in certain departments.

Gone on a bit of a tangent here but none the less you get the point.