Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Looks like he was asked to try and be more expansive with his passing. Good pass for the assist. An uncharacteristic forward ball into an attacker. As a result he lost the ball way more than he usually does but he was effective.

Available outball to play up to made such a difference for the midfielders, we couldn't really knock it long or over when Cisse was there as he has no pace or strength. We still used a variation of that splitting tactic, mind, Anita just went over as fullback when Janmaat pushed up, instead of directly splitting. I wouldn't give up on that tactic, tbh, I think player confidence was really getting in the way of our possession build up but mixing it up with more direct play should really relieve the pressure on our other attackers more. It's something we should use to mix it up and should be re-integrated slowly over the next couple of matches, as long as we've got a more capable CM on the ball to come and link play.

I would disagree that it was down to an available outball in the case of Anita. Anita only completed 60% of his passes which indicates a lot of those balls weren't on. We went more direct in every sense. Anita carried the ball further then he has this season. Wasn't content to "make things tick" by passing it to defenders, he tried to get it to midfielders and attackers. Definitely told to be more direct with his passing.

Looks like he was asked to try and be more expansive with his passing. Good pass for the assist. An uncharacteristic forward ball into an attacker. As a result he lost the ball way more than he usually does but he was effective.

Available outball to play up to made such a difference for the midfielders, we couldn't really knock it long or over when Cisse was there as he has no pace or strength. We still used a variation of that splitting tactic, mind, Anita just went over as fullback when Janmaat pushed up, instead of directly splitting. I wouldn't give up on that tactic, tbh, I think player confidence was really getting in the way of our possession build up but mixing it up with more direct play should really relieve the pressure on our other attackers more. It's something we should use to mix it up and should be re-integrated slowly over the next couple of matches, as long as we've got a more capable CM on the ball to come and link play.

I would disagree that it was down to an available outball in the case of Anita. Anita only completed 60% of his passes which indicates a lot of those balls weren't on. We went more direct in every sense. Anita carried the ball further then he has this season. Wasn't content to "make things tick" by passing it to defenders, he tried to get it to midfielders and attackers. Definitely told to be more direct with his passing.

Should've clarified, I didn't mean that Mitrovic was always free, just that he was someone the players felt comfortable hitting the ball up to in most circumstances. We've not had that with Cisse - they had a safer pass forward on Saturday whereas before the only safe pass has been sideways. I'd be interested to see his passing stats for the first 45 compared to the second, mind.

Of course they'll have been told to go more direct than previous games, they knew the ball would've come straight back if we knocked it up to Cisse. He wouldn't have even really competed for the ball.

I like the way you're sure he was told to go more direct but still say he wasn't content to 'make things tick' thus implying he uniliterally chose to play a certain way before this.

He's clearly a pretty aware and intelligent footballer and imo has been following instructions to the letter the entire time, so don't credit the coaching team with a good performance and blame him for all the shit/average/poor ones.

I like the way you're sure he was told to go more direct but still say he wasn't content to 'make things tick' thus implying he uniliterally chose to play a certain way before this.

He's clearly a pretty aware and intelligent footballer and imo has been following instructions to the letter the entire time, so don't credit the coaching team with a good performance and blame him for all the s***/average/poor ones.

Eh? I would like our players to understand the game and change as it develops. I hate players who show no impetus. i.e. when you're 2-0, take responsibility and try to make things happen. Not continue to pass it to CB's and hide behind managers instructions.

He had to execute the plan and he was better. He's going to have to find a middle stall in his passing however. He only completed 20 of his 33 passes.

He's clearly a pretty aware and intelligent footballer and imo has been following instructions to the letter the entire time, so don't credit the coaching team with a good performance and blame him for all the s***/average/poor ones.

Eh? I would like our players to understand the game and change as it develops. I hate players who show no impetus. i.e. when you're 2-0, take responsibility and try to make things happen. Not continue to pass it to CB's and hide behind managers instructions.

He had to execute the plan and he was better. He's going to have to find a middle stall in his passing however. He only completed 20 of his 33 passes.

You're implying that his earlier performances were his own choice and the Chelsea game he was told to play differently. I'm firmly of the belief he's being strictly following instructions all along. It's really very simple.

Usually tho movements, runs, patterns are trained and it is a bit difficult for a DM to alone "taka iniative" if no one else is making themselves available. Passing is easy when the movement is right

Fucking weird stuff. New coaching team come in and give players instructions on how they want to play and institute a new style. The only bit that came close to working was Vurn, in the sense he could do what was being asked. It's not down to him the overall system was balls.

But aye, after 6 games he should just have said fuck it and did what he wanted [emoji38]

Had identical conversations about Pardew's teams post 5th finish where I was being told that rather than stand in two rigid lines of 4 twatting the ball up Cabs and friends should 'take the initiative' if it was Pardew's instructions.

When has football ever worked like that? [emoji38]

Usually tho movements, runs, patterns are trained and it is a bit difficult for a DM to alone "taka iniative" if no one else is making themselves available. Passing is easy when the movement is right

Carry the ball forward. Ask your team mates to come deep or make a run. Anita's been too content to pass it to Chancel. Colback's a similar character. Too many of those types in the squad.

Carry the ball forward. Ask your team mates to come deep or make a run. Anita's been too content to pass it to Chancel. Colback's a similar character. Too many of those types in the squad.

You don't have a clue what he's "content" to do. Again, prior to the 6 games or whatever since McLaren came Vurn played nothing like this whatsoever, he was much more progressive in his positioning and use of the ball. So he's either decided he couldn't be arsed anymore and fancied being an auxiliary CB at 4' 11" or he's been told to play a certain way and did it.

One makes sense, the other does not.

To be fair to TCD, Mbemba seemed to have no problem playing some more direct balls out to the flanks, last week, and even went on a dribble or two form deeper areas to try and create space. They'll have some instructions and movements, aye, but they'll choose which options to take. SMC even said too many were taking the safer option.

I agree with the Chancel part. But you really have to blame attacking midfielders also. Gini and De Jong are not making themselves available. Perez's movement is superb and that is a big reason why we played so much better with him as a no 10.

But I agree that Vurnon really is not good enough. But if you think DM just can "tell people to make runs" and it works, then you really have no idea how professional football works.

Footballers in general need absolutely loads of instruction or the game would be chaos. Not only that, but most of them are basically clueless about tactics. Think criticising them for not suddenly departing from the game plan is a bit harsh.

Tbf you've just made all that up. What a daft generalisation!

There's no way McClaren would have told Anita to only pass it short, back and sides for those first six games. The only reason I can think for doing that is to try and ensure in future games that the short pass is the first option, rather than the longer ball being the first option. Let's see how it goes anyway, hopefully he keeps on mixing up his passing more.

I'm sure it was the general team ethos to play "possession football" in the first few games, and I'm sure Anita was candidate #1 for the KISS treatment.

Of course possession football doesn't tend to work when you've got an underconfident team who generally stand still & who are scared to pass the ball until they've touched it 100 times first.

I'm sure it was the general team ethos to play "possession football" in the first few games, and I'm sure Anita was candidate #1 for the KISS treatment.

Of course possession football doesn't tend to work when you've got an underconfident team who generally stand still & who are scared to pass the ball until they've touched it 100 times first.

i'm sorry but vurn really should have just made shit happen, thrown out all the preparation with the coaching team and done whatever he wanted to make something happen, unlike every cunt else on the who are apparently able to piss about hiding from the ball

no wonder TCD is such a fan of AP

AP: "make something happen vurn"

VA: "what does that mean boss?  i need specific instructions on how to play, what the tactical plan is, where i should position myself, where others are going to position when i've got the ball, how we're going to move the ball and so on"

AP: "you can work it out on the fucking bench son"

May seem odd, if you're smarting from the score line/only seen highlights, but I thought Anita was excellent in the first half yesterday, and continued working/kept his head-up in the second. I was near the back of the away section (way up high) which gave a great view of the shape and who was doing what off the ball. Really impressed by how much work he did closing down and supporting defence: left and right. Really covered the distance and put in some crunching tackles. Credit where it is due; well played the lad.