Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Anita is scared to receive/use the ball in any area where he is likely to be put under physical pressure by someone closing him down or getting shoulder to shoulder. He get's bullied and can't do anything about it. So he either sits so deep where the opposition can't be arsed to close him down, or when he moves a bit further forward he gets rid of the ball too quickly. It's so frustrating to watch.

You are so fucking wrong it's unbelievable.

Anita is scared to receive/use the ball in any area where he is likely to be put under physical pressure by someone closing him down or getting shoulder to shoulder. He get's bullied and can't do anything about it. So he either sits so deep where the opposition can't be arsed to close him down, or when he moves a bit further forward he gets rid of the ball too quickly. It's so frustrating to watch.

:thup: The more I think about it now before McLaren came some of Anita's best performances were with him much higher up the pitch. He's playing where he's told, simple as that.

I'm not wrong in the slightest. I wanted to give Anita a chance this season under McClaren and I thought a move to a pass orientated game would finally result in some improved performances from him. But you just watch him shy away from every physical challenge and the guy gets flat out bullied. He wouldn't start for any other team in the league.

I'm not denying that he shows for the ball, he clearly does that. But he doesn't do anything noteworthy with the ball when he gets it other than give short simple passes. He doesn't dribble to create good passing angles, he doesn't/ isn't able to hold onto the ball when pressured, he offers fuck all protection and he never 'bosses the midfield'.

He bottled a tackle on Wednesday in the build up to Sheffield Wednesday's goal.

I'm not denying that he shows for the ball, he clearly does that. But he doesn't do anything noteworthy with the ball when he gets it other than give short simple passes. He doesn't dribble to create good passing angles, he doesn't/ isn't able to hold onto the ball when pressured, he offers fuck all protection and he never 'bosses the midfield'.

You're all over the place here, as are most people when it comes to Anita imo.

A lot of the things he does atm he's clearly being asked to do. Again just think back to games under Pardew, he played much higher up and often got in and about the opposition penalty area. He's being told not to do that now, it's as plain as day.

As for doing nothing with the ball he's rarely got any decent options for a forward pass and I'm guessing he's also bring told not to play it long.

Lurching into criticisms of him not being physically imposing or whatever when we're discussing how he uses the ball and is literally the only player we have who does it is just pointless imo.

He's a limited midfielder and we need to upgrade, but he's good at doing what he's being asked to do. The main problem is the overall system isn't working so he's being scapegoated by some for that when he's actually probably the only one doing what he's being asked [emoji38]

It's his distribution that gets me. Most of his passes are to defenders. Coquelin gets the ball to Cazorla & Ramsey. Wanyama's who was awful on the ball against us regularly gets the ball to Mane.

Do you not see the difference In what your saying? Yes coquelin gets the ball to carzola Ramsey its not Anita's fault therss no one showing for it.

I'm not defending his overall play he has being shocking but the reason he doesn't get the ball forward enough is number one the formation is just not working there never seems to be anyone ahead of the ball and no 2 the players have no confidence and go hiding when we have the ball

Guest reefatoon

What's the point of showing for the ball when you do f*** all with it when you get it. Could move things along so much quicker if we skipped him out of the equation. Pass A to B instead of Pass A to Anita to B.  Ahh f*** it, I just don't like the useless c*** and will always be a little baffled at the praise he gets.

I'm not denying that he shows for the ball, he clearly does that. But he doesn't do anything noteworthy with the ball when he gets it other than give short simple passes. He doesn't dribble to create good passing angles, he doesn't/ isn't able to hold onto the ball when pressured, he offers f*** all protection and he never 'bosses the midfield'.

You're all over the place here, as are most people when it comes to Anita imo.

A lot of the things he does atm he's clearly being asked to do. Again just think back to games under Pardew, he played much higher up and often got in and about the opposition penalty area. He's being told not to do that now, it's as plain as day.

As for doing nothing with the ball he's rarely got any decent options for a forward pass and I'm guessing he's also bring told not to play it long.

Lurching into criticisms of him not being physically imposing or whatever when we're discussing how he uses the ball and is literally the only player we have who does it is just pointless imo.

He's a limited midfielder and we need to upgrade, but he's good at doing what he's being asked to do. The main problem is the overall system isn't working so he's being scapegoated by some for that when he's actually probably the only one doing what he's being asked [emoji38]

I don't know what he's being asked to do but whatever it is he ain't very good at it btw.

The excuses made on behalf of this guy are astonishing.

- Only doing what he's been asked to do.

- No one showing for the ball ahead of him.

- Doesn't matter that he's a weakling because he can make a 2 yard pass.

- Would look so much better without Colback next to him.

Honestly, If what you are doing isn't working, why doesn't he have the stones to think 'I'll try something different'. It's such a weak and useless excuse to keep blaming others for one's consistent failings and poor performances. None of what you say answers why he doesn't bring the ball forward with purpose, why he doesn't create clear cut chances for others, why he doesn't protect his defence. 'It's not his job' doesn't wash. That's like saying it's not Williamson's job to pass it out from the back. It fucking should be.

Anita's about the only one in our team who shows for the ball at all FFS.

Exactly [emoji38]

Maddening people can't see this.  I've also never seen him bottle a tackle, when did this start?

I saw him at 5ft 5 put that giant sheff Wed defender on his arse. Never seen him bottle anything despite his size. For bottling see Wijnaldum, sissoko n Jack Passback

The excuses made on behalf of this guy are astonishing.

- Only doing what he's been asked to do.

- No one showing for the ball ahead of him.

- Doesn't matter that he's a weakling because he can make a 2 yard pass.

- Would look so much better without Colback next to him.

Honestly, If what you are doing isn't working, why doesn't he have the stones to think 'I'll try something different'. It's such a weak and useless excuse to keep blaming others for one's consistent failings and poor performances. None of what you say answers why he doesn't bring the ball forward with purpose, why he doesn't create clear cut chances for others, why he doesn't protect his defence. 'It's not his job' doesn't wash. That's like saying it's not Williamson's job to pass it out from the back. It fucking should be.

Not sure who is saying all of the things you've listed like but to address the stupid fucking point about his physicality again nobody is really making excuses, he just doesn't have the physical attributes to boss a midfield so what's the point in either asking him to or expecting him to?

Should we have blamed Adam Armstrong for not getting on the end of 60 yard Willoballs last season? Of course not, he's tiny and he can't do it. It's the same principle.

Anyway he's not very good, we all seem to be able to agree on this very general point :lol::

Not sure that Vurn's 'height/physicality' is an issue really. Think Dennis Wise, love him or hate him...nah, actaully forget the first bit... please just hate him (incidentally great regret in life is that I didn't catch Wise when I invaded the pitch after he chased Mirandinha--Mira had just tried to kick Dave Beasant at the final whistle, in a cup game I think [those were the days...]) or a more palatable example, David MacCreery; neither were 'big' but both could 'boss'.

Looks like he was asked to try and be more expansive with his passing. Good pass for the assist. An uncharacteristic forward ball into an attacker. As a result he lost the ball way more than he usually does but he was effective.

Available outball to play up to made such a difference for the midfielders, we couldn't really knock it long or over when Cisse was there as he has no pace or strength. We still used a variation of that splitting tactic, mind, Anita just went over as fullback when Janmaat pushed up, instead of directly splitting. I wouldn't give up on that tactic, tbh, I think player confidence was really getting in the way of our possession build up but mixing it up with more direct play should really relieve the pressure on our other attackers more. It's something we should use to mix it up and should be re-integrated slowly over the next couple of matches, as long as we've got a more capable CM on the ball to come and link play.